• Free wireless inflight entertainment for SilkAir passengers

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...ht/934868.html

Good move for SilkAir.
    When will SIA take the same step?

Originally posted by jbflyer View Post
    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...ht/934868.html

Good move for SilkAir.
    When will SIA take the same step?
    They'll probably let them try them try it out first and see whether they fly or fry.

Comment

wow, sounds good, but will believe it when i see it. would seem like you'd need huge bandwidth to make this work.

over at SQ, last week on SQ 12 SIN-NRT, they passed out free wireless cards in J cabin. The card had written on it 15 MB. That's a far cry from free internet for the duration and with speeds high enough to stream movies.
      Last edited by Short Final; 27 December 2013, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Short Final View Post
        wow, sounds good, but will believe it when i see it. would seem like you'd need huge bandwidth to make this happen,

over at SQ, last week on SQ 12 SIN-NRT, they passed out free wireless cards in J cabin. The card had written on it 15 MB. That's a far cry from free internet for the duration and with speeds high enough to stream movies.
        Internet is different from Intranet. In the case of Silkair, its actually within the aircraft's own network, so very doable. Only question is if the WIFI can support everyone coming online and watching videos at the same time w/o lagging.

With the right encoding, it is very possible. Might not be full HD, but no one actually must have HD if its a 10" iPad
        Life's A Bitch,
        Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Originally posted by inix View Post
          Internet is different from Intranet. In the case of Silkair, its actually within the aircraft's own network, so very doable. Only question is if the WIFI can support everyone coming online and watching videos at the same time w/o lagging.

With the right encoding, it is very possible. Might not be full HD, but no one actually must have HD if its a 10" iPad
          Ahh, ok, missed that. Thanks.

Comment

Guess someone realized not having PTV isn't such a good idea after all.

Comment

The competition is hotting up and I guess this is a cheaper option than to install individual IFE on their aircrafts.

Comment

VA have just launched the same concept for domestic flights in Australia. You download an app to your device prior to boarding and then you can access free entertainment from the intranet once on board. Perhaps it will work ok on shorter flights in smaller planes. I really couldn't be bothered trying it last week on my 2 hour flights between MEL and BNE. I had a book and plenty of content already on my iPhone to keep me entertained. I didn't notice any passengers using the system. Compare that to a 7 hour MEL-SIN flight on an A380 where virtually every passenger is watching or listening to something at some point in the flight.

Comment

The thing about Silkair is that they are flying to plenty of destinations which are over 4 hours. Where IFE actually make sense and you can finish a movie...
                  Life's A Bitch,
                  Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

I was on 1 of the aircraft that has the wifi entertainment system installed. However, I had a problem downloading the application required to run anything. I could confirm that I was connected to Silk1 and Silk2 network all the time. I also followed the instruction on how to download the application required but just no luck. FYI, the network was actually turned off when we were on the ground and only activated after we were up in the air.

Comment

Working...
                    X