SQ 777 engine sucked in baggage container

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FSJZ View Post
    Thanks for correcting me I doubt the baggage container would have been visible to the FO when the plane got closer to the gate
    Sorry for the late reply. The baggage container would have only disappeared from the visual range of the FO at approximately 20m from where he sits.

Well, they just do an engine swap so 1 day is enough, but in this case, they probably needed to change the front cowling and check of pylon damage etc. SQ rotates their engines in the fleet and do have a number of spares available.

In the 747 days, you could attach a 5th spare engine on the wing and use it to fly the engine and engineers/technicians to another airport to replace any damaged engines. SQ did this a number of times - a friend of mine in SIAEC did a couple of these trips.

No major airline would let an airframe sit idle due to engine failure or damage.
    If everything goes according to plan, you can do an engine change with a nose cowl change within 12 to 13 hours.

The engine pod or the fifth engine attached on the wing was only available on the Jumbo classics.

Comment

Working...
    X