Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A380 - Missing Bits?

I was on SQ856 this morning.

I noticed the above, only once I rolled up the window blinds before landing so I don't know if the cowling was missing before take-off or not. I am right, though, there's definitely bits missing from the second flap mechanism? There was no flurry of activity on the ground after we parked and SQ861 'only' left HKG a half hour late on the return leg.

Photos are not up to my normal standard because I'm operating off a loan phone instead of my normal one with a much better camera.

I have to say though, this is the second time I've been a little nervous on a SQ flight in recent months, after my near miss heading into SIN that I mentioned elsewhere. At least this time I was actually able to take a photo.

Send to Straits Times.

Comment

Today's SQ856/861 was operated by 9V-SKG.
      Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

I just arrived on SQ861 (9V-SKG) today. Very uneventful flight. Delay was caused by a passenger boarding late. Didn't notice any unusual activity on the ground as well.

Comment

Seems to be disturbingly common... with an AD to match.

http://www.pprune.org/questions/5140...pore-a380.html

Would suggest getting in touch with CAAS, if it went in flight unlikely anyone would notice until the next walkaround.

Comment

I was aboard 9V-SKD from NRT in 2010 and saw a similar missing fairing. Same side too. Have to dig that photo I took

Comment

It is a common maintenance issue with Singapore Airlines. I saw it once on SQ11 from Los Angeles to Tokyo in December last year.

The aircraft is safe for flight with a missing flap track fairing, but with an increased fuel burn due to air resistance. The purpose of the flap fairing is to protect and streamline the flap operating mechanisms. The aircraft was most likely waiting for spare parts, but due to equipment requirements, had to be put in service. The pilots would have been notified about this issue in the engineer's log, so they would have loaded extra fuel to compensate for the extra fuel burn

Comment

Originally posted by mr_botak View Post

Would suggest getting in touch with CAAS, if it went in flight unlikely anyone would notice until the next walkaround.

Remarkable, even the photo looks almost the same. Thanks.

I was pretty confident there wouldn't be too much of an issue mechanically with the structure or operation, only wondering if bits get too cold when exposed to rushing air at 35,000ft

I'd like to think I would have noticed it before take off if it was missing but....who knows.

There was quite a loud (for the A380) noise coming from outside about 30-45min out from HKG but with my blind closed (IFE till 10-15min out) I have no idea if it is related......at least with the HKG flight it's pretty much 95% over water.

Comment

You learn something new every day...

Comment

One thing on this..... I was under the impression a walk-around was done before and after every flight? Before flight by flight crew and after flight by ground staff?

Comment

I can't imagine that there was no visual inspection done after or before every flight; even LCCs do it despite their tight turnaround schedules. It is a routine procedure - and they would have to be quite blind not to see something as significant as that missing. I shudder that it is a possibility.

Comment

As FSJZ put it, this( missing flap fairing) is allowed by the manufacturer. It is in the MEL(Minimum Equipment List) and has a deadline before it must be fixed. Nothing out of the ordinary other than fuel penalty and a slight increase in decibels near the wing area.

Comment

Working...
                        X