Nostalgia - Web archive of old SQ website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nostalgia - Web archive of old SQ website

No, not the one that worked well, but one from 17 years ago.

I chanced upon the archived versions of some airline sites, including that of Singapore Airlines, and have been spending hours perusing them, where links permit. This link below is as far back as I could go for SQ's webpage, from Dec 1996. Go back to a time when SQ operated over 40 B747-400 MEGATOPs, gave names to their fleets, branded J as Raffles Class, was part of a global airline alliance that included Swissair and Delta, flew to destinations like Brussels, Berlin, Mauritius, Cairns, Durban...

http://web.archive.org/web/199612132...gaporeair.com/

I also visited UAL's archived website, and from a press release, learnt that they were the first to offer audio entertainment on all domestic flights in 2000. In contrast, Singapore Airlines already offered Krisworld seatback entertainment in all classes in 1996!

Priceless find Ironically, it works better than the current one...

Comment

Wow! That looks like their first attempt at HTML. Thanks for sharing the discovery Jumbojet Lover. Definitely nostalgic.

Comment

This is classic find, and a veritable treasure trove. Thanks for the fantastic find

Comment

Nice one, Jumbojet Lover

according to the NYT, nostalgia has its benefits and I concur

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/09/sc...anted=all&_r=0
          Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Great find indeed!

I especially like this one:

Download the 30 seconds advertisement (2.25 Megabytes)

Approximate download time :
            28.8 kbps modem is 35 - 45 minutes.
            14.4 kbps modem is 60 - 90 minutes.

When prompted by your browser, select "Save File" and choose a folder in which to save it. The file is a self-extracting compressed file. After the download completes, to extract the file, type 'modern' at DOS prompt from the folder in which you saved the file. This will extract the SIA2.AVI file. Use your Windows Multimedia Player to view the clip.
            Can you imagine that in those days we were willing to wait for more than an hour to be able to view a 30 seconds video (an ad, mind you!)

Comment

Fantastic! fun to view while my computer acts up and lags at the processing speed of that era

Comment

Working...
              X