Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How lenient does SQ treat F pax about luggage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How lenient does SQ treat F pax about luggage?

Dear all...
    Will pick up my nice at SYD to fly back to SUB. She's going home for good, so the luggage will be a lot, really a lot.
    We will be 2 in R and 1 in Y on SQ222 and connect with SQ930 in J.
    Questions:
    1. Need to carry a 27" Mac desktop to the cabin. Is that possible?
    2. How lenient is SQ on F pax luggage allowance. Theoretically, our allowance is 40+40+20. How far can I push the limit?
    Thanks guys for any input...

Took F once when coming back from US for good. Maxed out at number of pieces of luggage and probably slightly overweight for all pieces combined. Maxed out number of carry on pieces also, and they are severely overweight. Was able to get on the plane without too much issues.

Comment

Thanks fone... it's help....
      The thing that worried me is the size of the 27" Mac desk top... will they allow me to carry it to the cabin?
      May be 110-120kgs still a safe limit for us... is it? or not?

Comment

The aviation rule of thumb, be it F, J or Y is the carry on must be able to be securely stowed during take off/landing... not too sure if you can find somewhere to stow the. 27" desktop in F during take off/landing. If yes, high chance they will allow. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks lfc...
          I know I'm pushing too far about this 27"...
          I'm just wondering, is there any storage room on board that I can use for (or they let me to use it) to securely store this 27"? This is an A380 after all
          Any experience from any SQTalkers here?

Comment

I think you'd be fine. I took my massive gold-plated wedding photo frame (it needed an easel to display at the door, it was huge) and they made a one-off special exception in the coat cabinet... awesome IFS on that flight, was only in J, however...

Did R ex JFK with a ton of stuff, think they are extremely lenient on R pax, especially ones as VVIP as yourself

Comment

Ahhh... Kyo++ my man....
              Thanks for sharing your experience.... now I see a possibility for the 27"...
              Hope I'm going to as lucky as you was....
              Must talk very very persuasive with the IFS...
              Btw, how did you pass the check in agent and the security scanner with that huge thing? Any special advice for that?

Comment

Whilst I'd agree they're very lenient... all you need is one jobsworth in SYD having a bad day to ruin it for you. And there's no comeback from that if rules are rules - Having said that, I think you'll be fine (not because they're lenient, but because I'm guessing a 27inch mac should be okay within the rules since it's also pretty thin) I'd certainly do it.

If the 27" computer isn't okay by the rules, and you do run into that jobsworth - you won't win.

Comment

Hand carry will also depends whether the item will fit in the xray scanner. In regards to your checked in luggage, you would easily be allowed up to 129kg. First and business class have 10kg waiver and for 20kg economy ticket, SQ would allow up to 29kg.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                    Whilst I'd agree they're very lenient... all you need is one jobsworth in SYD having a bad day to ruin it for you. And there's no comeback from that if rules are rules - Having said that, I think you'll be fine (not because they're lenient, but because I'm guessing a 27inch mac should be okay within the rules since it's also pretty thin) I'd certainly do it.

If the 27" computer isn't okay by the rules, and you do run into that jobsworth - you won't win.
                    Now I must more often go to the temple and read the mantra....
                    Wish the lucky goddess will be on my site at that time....
                    Thanks SQFG (/GAFG ) for the advice....

Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
                    Hand carry will also depends whether the item will fit in the xray scanner. In regards to your checked in luggage, you would easily be allowed up to 129kg. First and business class have 10kg waiver and for 20kg economy ticket, SQ would allow up to 29kg.
                    Ahhh.... singaporu_kooku my man....
                    Thanks for the info...
                    Now I must measure the box.... closely measure it.... (btw, does anyone know, how much is the size of the scanner opening?)
                    Just wish you were in charge in SYD....

Comment

Was made to check my 24" into the whale's belly last year ex-SYD.

Although they waived on the excess baggage

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                        Was made to check my 24" into the whale's belly last year ex-SYD.

Did it survive reaching home?
                        Did you transit or terminated in SIN?
                        Now I really really need my lucky charms...
                        Must triple the schedule for visiting the temple...

Comment

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post
                          Btw, how did you pass the check in agent and the security scanner with that huge thing? Any special advice for that?
                          Security scanner doesn't make that decision - the check-in agent does.

In short: I had to request, then insist for it to be brought to the IFS for a final-OK. If IFS said no, they would check it in at the gate. Mind you, I had proper bubblewrap packaging. I also had to explain that I couldn't risk the wedding photo frame... there's only one of it and it is obviously extremely precious, and fragile enough. I was also in bulkhead, so I offered to 'tampan' the thing with my legs (of course, this is silly and rightly rejected - it only served to prove that I deemed this object too valuable to check into the hold).

Good luck and yes, hope nobody stops you

Comment

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post

Did it survive reaching home?
                            Did you transit or terminated in SIN?
                            Now I really really need my lucky charms...
                            Must triple the schedule for visiting the temple...
                            Reached SIN a day later! They "forget" to load it.

Considering it's quite a fragile item, best to inspect it in the transit port if MCT is met and re-check it in again.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                              Security scanner doesn't make that decision - the check-in agent does.

In short: I had to request, then insist for it to be brought to the IFS for a final-OK. If IFS said no, they would check it in at the gate. Mind you, I had proper bubblewrap packaging. I also had to explain that I couldn't risk the wedding photo frame... there's only one of it and it is obviously extremely precious, and fragile enough. I was also in bulkhead, so I offered to 'tampan' the thing with my legs (of course, this is silly and rightly rejected - it only served to prove that I deemed this object too valuable to check into the hold).

Good luck and yes, hope nobody stops you
                              You're such a persuasive guy... no one can resist Kyo++'s charm....
                              Thanks mate for the advice... must practicing my persuasive skill, very hard this time...

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                              Reached SIN a day later! They "forget" to load it.

Considering it's quite a fragile item, best to inspect it in the transit port if MCT is met and re-check it in again.
                              It got stranded????
                              And it reached you in one piece? You're so damn lucky guy...
                              Now must practicing and pray and pray
                              Thanks mate for sharing your experience...

Comment

Working...
                              X