Singapore Airlines latest cabin products on the new B777-300ER (77WN) - 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bent View Post
    that will prob come later after NRT and BOM.
    Hi bent

Do you happen to know the rollout plan for BOM - when will SIN-BOM route see this on a daily or at least regular basis?

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by benlee View Post

The 77W F Class is my preferred seat type when flying F, and I prefer them over the claustrophobic "suites". It is also the only type of seat in any aircraft that I can actually have a good sleep.
      :
      Do you have the impression that the current 77W F is becoming a little worn out and/or grubby looking? I've heard that from a couple of people recently. If that's true, then a + for the new F for me would be that shiny new feeling, regardless of actual changes!

Comment

Here's my take on the J seats.

Pluses:
        1) Seat is much more comfortable. Lower incline possible.
        2) Compartments for storing stuff is great, though I wish they had a sliding door for the upper compartment on the seat - sign says not to store anything there during takeoff and landing, since things can fall out. It is a good size for tablets and books.
        3) The foldout table is much more versatile and more manageable - maybe it's new.
        4) The square pillow is excellent, just nice for sleeping. Small pillow is too flat to prop head up.
        5) The cushion in bed mode is much better and comfortable, no need for extra layer.
        6) the quiltish blanket is nice, though I feel the air conditioning is too warm for its use on the upper body - but that's just me, I like it colder when I sleep.
        7) The cushioned back in bed mode is excellent to lean on sitting up especially with a pillow to support the lumbar.
        8) Also when in sleep mode, the head area is now much more spacious, unlike the narrow head space in the previous J seat.
        9) The foot area is also much larger; no problems crossing my feet now, without hitting the top.
        10) The new headphones are much better in comfort and noise canceling.
        11) For the ladies, and some men, the largish mirror next to the screen is probably very useful.
        12) The IFE screen seems to have a higher definition.
        13) The touchscreen remote control is useful, though it takes a bit to get use to it. Thankfully the screen itself is not a touchscreen. The remote is a tad laggy and it does not have a high resolution. Wish it was closer to a iPhone resolution, even pre-Retina would be better.
        14) The seat belt in bed mode is now "elastic". The catch is now much easier to fasten compared to the old seat. The downside of the elastic belt is that is can feel a bit tight and it crosses ones chest instead of tummy, hence it can make sleep a bit more uncomfortable for some.

Minuses:
        1) There are way too may buttons to control the seat. I understand they want some standard sitting modes but seriously?
        2) There are too many lights. There are 5 direct lights each with two modes: dim and bright. Plus indirect ambient light. Almost feels like my whole living room condensed into a chair.
        3) When folding up the seat from bed mode, there is a tendency that it will get stuck, and it won't fold back up. If it does, one needs to undo two catches manually in the middle of the seat. Design flaw.
        4) The use of the remote control touchscreen can be bothersome as one needs to look at the remote screen as well as the big screen. I assume that it'll be complicated to use by older non-tech aware folks, but that's just my assumption.
        5) The compartment for putting a small bag or shoes under the seat in front, is now much more inconvenient to get at as it now underneath the foot rest ledge. But they have placed a light underneath there to help.

Yes, I think I got to sleep a tad more comfortably on this seat compared to the old J seat ... but I still prefer my own bed.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
          Here's my take on the J seats.

Pluses:
          1) Seat is much more comfortable. Lower incline possible.
          2) Compartments for storing stuff is great, though I wish they had a sliding door for the upper compartment on the seat - sign says not to store anything there during takeoff and landing, since things can fall out. It is a good size for tablets and books.
          3) The foldout table is much more versatile and more manageable - maybe it's new.
          4) The square pillow is excellent, just nice for sleeping. Small pillow is too flat to prop head up.
          5) The cushion in bed mode is much better and comfortable, no need for extra layer.
          6) the quiltish blanket is nice, though I feel the air conditioning is too warm for its use on the upper body - but that's just me, I like it colder when I sleep.
          7) The cushioned back in bed mode is excellent to lean on sitting up especially with a pillow to support the lumbar.
          8) Also when in sleep mode, the head area is now much more spacious, unlike the narrow head space in the previous J seat.
          9) The foot area is also much larger; no problems crossing my feet now, without hitting the top.
          10) The new headphones are much better in comfort and noise canceling.
          11) For the ladies, and some men, the largish mirror next to the screen is probably very useful.
          12) The IFE screen seems to have a higher definition.
          13) The touchscreen remote control is useful, though it takes a bit to get use to it. Thankfully the screen itself is not a touchscreen. The remote is a tad laggy and it does not have a high resolution. Wish it was closer to a iPhone resolution, even pre-Retina would be better.
          14) The seat belt in bed mode is now "elastic". The catch is now much easier to fasten compared to the old seat. The downside of the elastic belt is that is can feel a bit tight and it crosses ones chest instead of tummy, hence it can make sleep a bit more uncomfortable for some.

Minuses:
          1) There are way too may buttons to control the seat. I understand they want some standard sitting modes but seriously?
          2) There are too many lights. There are 5 direct lights each with two modes: dim and bright. Plus indirect ambient light. Almost feels like my whole living room condensed into a chair.
          3) When folding up the seat from bed mode, there is a tendency that it will get stuck, and it won't fold back up. If it does, one needs to undo two catches manually in the middle of the seat. Design flaw.
          4) The use of the remote control touchscreen can be bothersome as one needs to look at the remote screen as well as the big screen. I assume that it'll be complicated to use by older non-tech aware folks, but that's just my assumption.
          5) The compartment for putting a small bag or shoes under the seat in front, is now much more inconvenient to get at as it now underneath the foot rest ledge. But they have placed a light underneath there to help.

Yes, I think I got to sleep a tad more comfortably on this seat compared to the old J seat ... but I still prefer my own bed.
          Thanks for comprehensive review

Seems to address most of my complaints about current seat

Comment

Originally posted by asheli View Post
            Hi bent

Do you happen to know the rollout plan for BOM - when will SIN-BOM route see this on a daily or at least regular basis?

thank you
            if all goes as planned (aircraft delviered on time), should be start of NS 14/15

i.e. 31 Mar 2014

I'm not sure about the planned a/c delivery dates though

Comment

Originally posted by bent View Post
              if all goes as planned (aircraft delviered on time), should be start of NS 14/15

i.e. 31 Mar 2014

I'm not sure about the planned a/c delivery dates though
              LHR, BOM, NRT and SFO with 6 77WNs? That's really a lot to juggle. Impressive.

Comment

I was just doing a flight search on the SIA web site for SIN-SYD flights on 4 January 2014 and noticed that SQ221 will be operated with the B777-300ER. Does this mean this flight will have the latest cabin products? If so, how exciting!

As an aside I don't think the B777-300ER has been operated on this sector before, just the B777-300 Refitted and B777-200ER Refitted. Is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
                  I was just doing a flight search on the SIA web site for SIN-SYD flights on 4 January 2014 and noticed that SQ221 will be operated with the B777-300ER. Does this mean this flight will have the latest cabin products? If so, how exciting!

As an aside I don't think the B777-300ER has been operated on this sector before, just the B777-300 Refitted and B777-200ER Refitted. Is this correct?
                  No, SYD has seen plenty of 77W in the past, just not currently on a regular basis. Occasional substitutions are planned in advance if they want to send extra A380s to another destination.

I doubt the website will show a new 77W as opposed to a standard one since as I understand it, the seat plan is the same. If they weren't they would have significant operational complexity in rotating the new and old craft as required when things don't go to plan.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                    No, SYD has seen plenty of 77W in the past, just not currently on a regular basis. Occasional substitutions are planned in advance if they want to send extra A380s to another destination.

I doubt the website will show a new 77W as opposed to a standard one since as I understand it, the seat plan is the same. If they weren't they would have significant operational complexity in rotating the new and old craft as required when things don't go to plan.
                    Ah silly me! I just assumed from the one seat plan shown on the web site that all SIA's B777-300ER were created equal. I don't suppose the new aircraft will be deployed on the SIN-SYD vv routes (so soon) then.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post

one won't be able to tell from the website if its the old or new one since the seat config is the same. no use calling in also coz the staff won't know. guess it's good to be surprsied idf u do land the new plane!

Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
                      Ah silly me! I just assumed from the one seat plan shown on the web site that all SIA's B777-300ER were created equal. I don't suppose the new aircraft will be deployed on the SIN-SYD vv routes (so soon) then.
                      u never know. might have a random a/c swap. who knows?

Comment

• I had the impression BOM would be seeing it on some days of the week starting in November.
                        Last edited by sinner; 17 October 2013, 12:30 PM. Reason: removed dumb statement

Comment

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                          but I still prefer my own bed.
                          That will always hold true for me. I've never been on an airplane which had a bed that I preferred to my own

Comment

• UK PPS members have got the chance to see this new bird on the ground at LHR on Monday. Unfortunately I will be en route to probably the world's most inaccessible second city in a developed country so I couldn't go even if I hadn't already seen it. Shame, as I would have been more interested in discussing issues with Colin Matthews.....

Dear Mr MAN Flyer,

We are delighted to inform you that we have now taken possession of our brand new B777-300ER “New Generation” aircraft and it has been deployed on the LHR-SIN-LHR route immediately.

An opportunity has arisen for us to showcase the aircraft on the ground at Heathrow during the late afternoon of Monday 21st October.

Our guests will get the chance to walk through the cabins and try out the new seating in First, Business and Economy class, plus talk to the seat designers (JPA Associates), our crew and staff – and to Heathrow’s CEO Colin Matthews who has accepted our invitation to attend.

Wine and finger food will be available.

Please find attached an invitation to join us and I would be grateful if you could RSVP to me (at this PPS Club address) before 14th October.

We do hope you will be able to come along and look forward to hearing from you.

Comment

• Originally posted by bent View Post
                              one won't be able to tell from the website if its the old or new one since the seat config is the same. no use calling in also coz the staff won't know. guess it's good to be surprsied idf u do land the new plane!
                              That's what I was going to do next, but oh well.

Comment

• Originally posted by sinner View Post
                                I had the impression BOM would be seeing it on some days of the week starting in November.
                                sorry, u r right:

BOM:
                                D567 from 27 Oct13 to 29 Mar14, and additionally, D34 from 30Oct13 to 21Nov13

Comment

Working...
                                X