Singapore Airlines latest cabin products on the new B777-300ER (77WN) - 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vade View Post
    When SQ first announced the SQ31/32 flight as well as the new SIN-SFO/LAX routes, I vaguely remember them also saying that all SIN-SFO/LAX flights operated by the 777-300ER will feature the new J and F products.
    Yes I get that. LAX will get 2013 products because they will be operated by 77WR. It is interesting that there can be switches to old product at times. Thank God not during peak season. I do not remember any day last Christmas/New Year SQ2/1 got a switch (During peak that is).

You know when I actually looked at my booking and seating for SQ1 and SQ2, it clearly remains a mystery why they would put either a 13 inch screen or 11 inch screen. And while all of you believe the seating is the same, on the 77WN, row 57HK are not listed. Why? Is that always empty on 77W flights including adhoc. Not that I would sit there but I am curious.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
      Wow, HKG/SFO (2/1) got switched to 2006 77W, SWR off 631. Is it really every Saturday and Sunday 960 gets a 77W (77WN off SQ1)? It is only a 1 hour flight that could have gotten a plane off 212 or any other 77W off ground and protect SQ1's 77WN to turn back as SQ2. They could have taken the 77WN off 319 though that came in 1 hour to turn back to SQ2. They have done that a lot and resulted in SQ2 departing SIN late. This ties down to SWV in some maintenance or something.

Seriously, while I have always enjoyed SQ's hospitality and service, I would be upset if luck like that happened to me if I flew in December. Honestly, I don't think I should believe like that because SQ2/1 almost always get a 77WN. Especially in 2016 when by now ALL 77W would have been refitted. Seriously, while I believe I should not worry this much, I hope SQ steps their refit game again eventually even if it isn't with PEY.
      It's still a 77W nevertheless. And you get what they stated in the schedules. And even if they sub it with a 777-200ER (which is unlikely, you are still getting what you pay for as a Economy class passenger...basically airlines do not guarantee aircraft...and may switch aircraft for operational purposes.

As for the refit program, there are probably reasons why they are slowing the refit program...maybe someone with knowledge could can shed light on why they are not powering ahead with the refit

Comment

• Originally posted by zilchster View Post
        As for the refit program, there are probably reasons why they are slowing the refit program...maybe someone with knowledge could can shed light on why they are not powering ahead with the refit
        Maybe the reason is nothing more than 'we dunno whether to proceed' Real question is whether the reason is legit or just.......bad planning or whatever. Either way, it doesn't look like the rest of the 77Ws are getting new interiors anytime soon. Maybe with the launch of the 2017 A380 will we see these birds get those interiors. That would make sense. Squeeze all the mileage out of the current ones then refit spanking new ones.

Comment

• Well, I'm sitting in 11a on 9V-SWU SQ228 and yet again, I have to say again that the 2013 hard J product is better than anything else around, and the soft product is very fine, despite the usual SQ robotics, which I suspect is more a Singapore service culture thing than an SQ thing. But the hard product is everything in the end, and this one wins. If SQ made this version of the J product reliably available, it would have my loyalty.

Comment

• Comments from the top were made earlier this year that part of the plan of keeping the old 772s a little longer was so that the refit program could get back into gear once the flow of A350s arrived.

Right now they have lost the flexibility to do it due to a number of factors, such as launching an extra US flight, DUS, CBR-WLG, additional flights to regular destinations, such as CGK-SYD and the unavailability of SWB. They also have a lot of the later-delivery A380s out for long periods of heavy maintenance and they've been using 77Ws in off-peak season to fill in. While they have some slack with the old 772s, using them to fill gaps while 77Ws get refitted would not go down well with F passengers!

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
              Comments from the top were made earlier this year that part of the plan of keeping the old 772s a little longer was so that the refit program could get back into gear once the flow of A350s arrived.

Right now they have lost the flexibility to do it due to a number of factors, such as launching an extra US flight, DUS, CBR-WLG, additional flights to regular destinations, such as CGK-SYD and the unavailability of SWB. They also have a lot of the later-delivery A380s out for long periods of heavy maintenance and they've been using 77Ws in off-peak season to fill in. While they have some slack with the old 772s, using them to fill gaps while 77Ws get refitted would not go down well with F passengers!
              Seems like a failure in fleet planning to me. Fortunately, SQ's soft product is still one of the best (if not the best) in the sky and even their 10 year old hard products on the 77Ws (maybe not for F though) are still very competitive.

Comment

• I don't think SQ counted on SWB being involved in an accident.

Perhaps they realized PY isn't doing as well as it expected. But it is still continuing on with the PY for the 350.

Comment

• People have started to complain about the 2006 seats as being "old". They are miles better than many other airlines are offering. I would be happy with that product and still pay for Y & J seats from my own money.

Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
                  (maybe not for F though).
                  Don't think it ever has been!

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                    People have started to complain about the 2006 seats as being "old". They are miles better than many other airlines are offering. I would be happy with that product and still pay for Y & J seats from my own money.
                    I know what you mean, and I am sorry if I am complaining of this. It's probably because I flew EK's Y product on the A380 back in December 2014 and because the figure is just like SQ's new Y seats, they are definitely personally to me (and my parents) miles better than current SQ's 2006 product. To be honest, back in Summer 2014 though we didn't go to India, I got bored of SQ because of their product offering, and the year before that I had family friends who took CX's 744 for the last time (Their next vacation onwards, pretty much they fly SQ now, with this year being the first time flying on the 77WR on SQ15/16).

Look, none of us have flown the 2013 product yet (We are in December), but when my mom and I flew SQ15/16 in June 2015 on the way to and from India, she actually said a few things: 1) Entertainment choice isn't as vast as EK, but it is still good, but is expecting SQ to improve on their KrisWorld entertainment system, hopefully having a product as good as EK's A380's (I told my mom SQ is refitting their 77W but we could have gotten that had we chosen SQ1/2), 2) She would prefer a newer touchscreen as seeing the progress of the flight on a handset and a movie on the touchscreen is nice.

Honestly, for a 14-15 hour flight, the new product would be beneficial, plus like I said before, if you are bored (or don't want to sleep), go try the time based T-Mobile/Panasonic Wifi (Which I probably will when it's like....11AM or noon my time on the way to HKG, and back from HKG-SFO).

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                      People have started to complain about the 2006 seats as being "old". They are miles better than many other airlines are offering. I would be happy with that product and still pay for Y & J seats from my own money.
                      I very much agree. I think the complaints are mostly from people on routes that are no longer subjected to SQ's "pre-2006" products!

Comment

• i was on 9V-SRM last night from HKG and the YCL seats have been upgraded to the same ones on 77WN, but with the same inflight entertainment system on 77W and A388. I would have thought they wont do anything to the 772s YCL

Comment

• Originally posted by b777jubilee View Post
                          i was on 9V-SRM last night from HKG and the YCL seats have been upgraded to the same ones on 77WN, but with the same inflight entertainment system on 77W and A388. I would have thought they wont do anything to the 772s YCL
                          Very, very interesting. So the seats are 77WN but the IFE remains non-touchscreen? Could it just be seat covers? Did the seats feel lumpy?

Comment

i was on 9V-SRM last night from HKG and the YCL seats have been upgraded to the same ones on 77WN, but with the same inflight entertainment system on 77W and A388. I would have thought they wont do anything to the 772s YCL
                            The IFE on the older 772s can have a similar feel to the 77W/A380 but with less content.

Did the IFE have the controller mounted on the seat back or was it in the armrest? Did the tray table have a fold with hinges in it and did the seat back have a flip-down cup holder?

Comment

Wow! This is very interesting. Next time if someone flies SRM, take pictures please unless the poster has done so he can post them here. If they can do this with a 772, why not refit a 773 and 77W to that standard.

As for content, no Welcome, Let's Begin touchscreen?

I guess I could have chosen coming back from BLR which could have this plane but nah went for MAA on the 333.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                                Wow! This is very interesting. Next time if someone flies SRM, take pictures please unless the poster has done so he can post them here. If they can do this with a 772, why not refit a 773 and 77W to that standard.

As for content, no Welcome, Let's Begin touchscreen?

I guess I could have chosen coming back from BLR which could have this plane but nah went for MAA on the 333.
                                I was too tired after a day of meeting so i didnt take any pictures. The seats are the latest generation economy seats but the previous generation inflight entertainment system (no touchscreen), same as those on A330s and A380s. The business class cabin is the regional setup found on the A330s.

Comment

Working...
                                X