No announcement yet.

Singapore Airlines latest cabin products on the new B777-300ER (77WN) - 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My inclination is to think the volume of content is largely constrained by the server capacity given that the number of seats is not going to change, therefore the number of streaming demands upon the server would be equal regardless of the size of the library. If bandwidth is an issue, batch encoding the monthly collection to a lower resolution is not all that difficult to do. I'd be surprised if they even supply content at 720p in the latest system given nobody's screen is really that large but if anyone knows the exact specs on that I'd be really interested to know. Have spent so much of my life encoding video...

Comment

• Of course. In any system it's always a holistic solutuon not just network but servers, storage, client device etc so that's why upgrades are not just seats but quite a complex package that needs to be considered

Comment

• Originally posted by alian View Post
        Fiber would be needed on newer planes though if streaming HD content to 300+ seats. While 100m may seem a lot individually taking into account a plane with near 300 or more seats that's a lot of data transfer. Not sure of the specs of the 2006y seats but on my last a330 in Y the resolution was not very high but still with 255 y and 30 j that potentially requires higher throughput network switch into the servers to handle the load. Fiber would be a reasonable assumption
        When i say 100m I mean 100 meters. Fiber is no quicker or has anymore bandwidth when the cable length less than 100 meters. When it gets above 100 meters that's another story. At work we have 10GB network connections running over copper just fine, it is a supported configuration. I am assuming the cable length is less than 100 meters as the plane is about 80 meters, based on that I predict the cabling will be all copper. The connection to the seats is probably gigabit and the connection between the switches and server will be 10GB.

I also think you are over estimating the bandwidth used. I have seen 60ish screens streaming HD content on a 200mb internet connection just fine (Euro 2016 match). I know there is no exact science here but you will be surprised what can be done with compression etc. I think I have the bandwidth data for this, I will have a dig around.

I am a qualified network engineer, so it is an educated response
        Last edited by FN-GM; 11 August 2016, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
          When i say 100m I mean 100 meters. Fiber is no quicker or has anymore bandwidth when the cable length less than 100 meters. When it gets above 100 meters that's another story. At work we have 10GB network connections running over copper just fine, it is a supported configuration. I am assuming the cable length is less than 100 meters as the plane is about 80 meters, based on that I predict the cabling will be all copper. The connection to the seats is probably gigabit and the connection between the switches and server will be 10GB.

I also think you are over estimating the bandwidth used. I have seen 60ish screens streaming HD content on a 200mb internet connection just fine (Euro 2016 match). I know there is no exact science here but you will be surprised what can be done with compression etc. I think I have the bandwidth data for this, I will have a dig around.

I am a qualified network engineer, so it is an educated response
          Well fiber does have benefits especially in latency but I do agree with you we are not playing online games here so that's not a big factor. Also fiber is very fragile and bending is a problem especially in a tight place like a plane but it does wonders on straight point to point so if each cabin section is a node or switch section then these points to the server could be fiber and then copper to the seats which would be practical.

Agreed on compressionn and I've seen great benefits but then the processing on the client end would be quite high and I'm not too sure how much changes would be required besides just the seat and IFE so it may end up being costly or have a compatibility issue.

Guess the reason for this discussion lies on how complex it would be to convert the 772 to the 2006 Y IFE and since SQ did do a refit a few years back would they do it now if it is possible ya

Comment

• If a 77WN has the premium economy product, is it safe to say that it has been refitted with the 2013 products across all classes? I'm curious as I am flying LAX-SIN (via NRT) and SIN-LAX (via ICN) in business in December 2016/January 2017. While SQ promotes its A350 service to SFO with "new" cabin products, it doesn't promote the products on the flights to LAX the same way.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxymoron1984 View Post
              If a 77WN has the premium economy product, is it safe to say that it has been refitted with the 2013 products across all classes?.
              For the 777 yes.

I know you didn't ask but for the A380 it will be a no.

Comment

For the 777 yes.

I know you didn't ask but for the A380 it will be a no.
                Thank you. Appreciate it.

Comment

• I think the biggest advantage of fiber is that it's not prone to interference/crosstalk hence is very stable. The only disadvantage I can think of is it's fragile compared to copper.
                  Flickr, Reviews, SIN Credit Card Usage Reference Table

Comment

• Hello everyone
                    Would there BE a Way to know The registration number of the aircraft that one will Fly on especially pertaining to 777-300 er, before the flight?
                    Appreciate If anybody would know..

Comment

• Originally posted by Drkinder View Post
                      Hello everyone
                      Would there BE a Way to know The registration number of the aircraft that one will Fly on especially pertaining to 777-300 er, before the flight?
                      Appreciate If anybody would know..
                      Try this - http://www.icargo.net/icargo/do/searchFlight

Comment

Doesn't appear to have SQ in its database.

Comment

• 14 TH August sq237 uses a 777-300
                          What does IT mean? Could IT BE perhaps more 777-300 er are undergoing retrofit or just unlucky day for,passengers on board 237 or SQ now uses Back 777-300? If its The last case i am worried and May change my flight time to Melbourne. Where i Book my ticket its writing 777-300 er as aircraft. I know SIA has The right for last minute aircraft changes but IT wouldnt BE right If you reserved a seat IN row 11. And would The airline inform us for aircraft changes??

Comment

14 TH August sq237 uses a 777-300
                            What does IT mean? Could IT BE perhaps more 777-300 er are undergoing retrofit or just unlucky day for,passengers on board 237 or SQ now uses Back 777-300? If its The last case i am worried and May change my flight time to Melbourne. Where i Book my ticket its writing 777-300 er as aircraft. I know SIA has The right for last minute aircraft changes but IT wouldnt BE right If you reserved a seat IN row 11. And would The airline inform us for aircraft changes??
                            I know it sucks and we all have our dissatisfaction in changes but that's the way of commercial. I know you reserved a seat etc but if you look in the fine print of the terms of carriage the airline does have the right to change. Happened to me many times, even change in class. It sucks but that's the agreement when we click ok to. You can complain to get some refund or compensation but that's as much as I can advise

If you want 100% then go private jet
                            Last edited by alian; 14 August 2016, 10:36 PM.

Comment

14 TH August sq237 uses a 777-300
                              Yeah, unfortunately SQ237/8 has reverted back to the 773 on weekends for a while. Seems to be a shortage of 77Ws currently. SQ charge the same amount for all flights to MEL, regardless which plane type is flying. The only thing that changes the price is fare tiers based on demand, not the product offered.

Comment

• SQ318 today was operated by a 77WR (9V-SWM) instead of a 77WN/77W. The flight has never had equipment swaps to aircraft featuring PEY (if my memory serves me correctly). A sign of things to come?

Comment

Working...
                                X