Singapore Airlines latest cabin products on the new B777-300ER (77WN) - 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
    Wonderful news to hear! So it is confirmed SWU and SWZ have the new Voyager 3D maps. I'm starting to wonder if the longer 77WN maintance was to also update the IFE and maps to 3D and SWV is updating maps too.

Well, new cabin products and 3D maps blend nicely together no matter the configuration. Probably by the time I fly in December maybe all 77WN will have 3D maps. I also think it's in tandem to keep up with the A350 which also has the 3D maps.
    Hi everyone.

I know I'll probably get shot down for this but .... 3D voyager map is nothing great. Don't know what all the fuss is. It's fake and does not represent the real thing at all. I'd rather SIA put tail and front cameras which so many airlines do and really does it cost that much ?

I've experienced the 3D maps quite a number of times on both 777 and 350 and each time I'd wished I had the old 2D perspective maps with front and tail cameras together.

Sorry but 3D maps is too Cheasy and lame in my opinion. SIA can you please install front and tail cameras

Comment

• Originally posted by alian View Post
      Hi everyone.

I know I'll probably get shot down for this but .... 3D voyager map is nothing great. Don't know what all the fuss is. It's fake and does not represent the real thing at all. I'd rather SIA put tail and front cameras which so many airlines do and really does it cost that much ?

I've experienced the 3D maps quite a number of times on both 777 and 350 and each time I'd wished I had the old 2D perspective maps with front and tail cameras together.

Sorry but 3D maps is too Cheasy and lame in my opinion. SIA can you please install front and tail cameras
      I'd be greedy and ask for front & tail cameras as well as the 3D voyager maps that I DO LOVE!!

Comment

Hi everyone.

I respect your opinion. The only reason I was raving about it is cause the 2D map is nice and all but compared to previous flight information maps on SQ, they have displayed less information than the previous one (e.g. No flight info screen, no time at present position, origin, and maybe a few more missing?)

The 3D map is nice for one of those reasons, I know because I have seen how they look like on CX and EK thru videos.

Until now I am surprised no one brought up cameras to be installed that would be a great idea too

Comment

• I believe only Airbus aircraft (A380 and A350) have cameras installed (or an option for that)....? Never heard of any Boeing commercial aircraft with cameras, though i definitely could be wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
            I believe only Airbus aircraft (A380 and A350) have cameras installed (or an option for that)....? Never heard of any Boeing commercial aircraft with cameras, though i definitely could be wrong.
            CX has it on their 777s, as does TG on some of the older 777s.
            My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

• Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
              I stand corrected, then. Not a frequent flyer, just dabbling a bit here a bit there. Cameras would be very nice, especially if you don't have a window seat.

Comment

• Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                Yup and EK has them too on their 777s. In fact my first experience on aircraft cameras was with SWISSAIR in 2008 and I think that too was a 777 but I can't confirm.

Comment

• I do wonder why SQ's never installed tail cameras in their fleet. It would be a nice thing to have...

Comment

• Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
                    I do wonder why SQ's never installed tail cameras in their fleet. It would be a nice thing to have...
                    Perhaps they have it but it's only enabled for pilots to view and not passengers? I had the impression some airlines did this...

Comment

Yup and EK has them too on their 777s. In fact my first experience on aircraft cameras was with SWISSAIR in 2008 and I think that too was a 777 but I can't confirm.
                      I believe it should actually be either an A330 or A340-300 (SWISS used to be an all-Airbus fleet for longhauls if i'm not wrong). They just took delivery of a couple of B77Ws, which look brilliant internally and externally.

Comment

I believe it should actually be either an A330 or A340-300 (SWISS used to be an all-Airbus fleet for longhauls if i'm not wrong). They just took delivery of a couple of B77Ws, which look brilliant internally and externally.
                        I think u r right. I recall the seats were in 2-4-2 config and that's typical of a330/340.

Comment

They just took delivery of a couple of B77Ws, which look brilliant internally and externally.
                          But it's 3-4-3 in Economy Class.

Comment

• If anyone flies SWV after it returns back to service, please let me know if it has the 3D maps. I assume it's one of the few reasons they stopped the refits, though I believe that's a guess but there are likely other reasons, too. Looks like all other 77Ws even if old will simply keep the 2D maps unless they do a complete refit of all 77W. They are behind schedule, and it will be at least 2017 when it's done.

Speaking of 77Ws and Swiss, I think it's pretty easy to identify 77W's that have the Panasonic Ku/T-Mobile Wifi, the dome on the top of door 2L (Yes, it's featured even on SWISS, SQ (9V-SWU-SNC), CI, MU, BR, AA, and more...). When I thought stating the double dome on 2L was irrelevant, sounded to me that a lot of research about the double dome above door 2L/2R is indeed something that tells that plane will have Panasonic/T-Mobile Wifi. Only exception was 9V-SWA when it was first delivered. There was a double dome, but it probably meant for something else. (I remember when I flew SWA in 2010 as SQ16 and the double dome was there, but no pics, but as of today no double dome, and I'm pretty sure still, no Wifi like a couple of 77Ws not fitted with Wifi). And also speaking of SWISS's 77W, the Wifi price is just as expensive as SQ's since they took Panasonic and charged by volume like SQ's current 77W's still fitted with OnAir.

Seriously, if SQ decides to install the newer OnAir GX Aviation Wifi on all 77Ws during the 2nd half of the year, would it have any impact on the double dome above door 2 of the newer 77W?

Comment

• Wow that's some observation I never realized. Thanks I'll keep a lookout

Comment

You've just said what I've been thinking for so long.

I have nothing aganist the 3D maps, but, ummm... seat pitch, food, service, IFE selection and quality, reliability, connectivity of flights, storage pockets, cabin humidity, good ticket prices... somewhere down around no. 53 comes 3D maps in my list of priorities.

And yes, why hasn't SQ installed at least a tail camera? If LH can manage it among their rampant cost-cutting while being based in a country that despises even Google Street-view, then yeah...

Comment

Working...
                                X