This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 259850 View Post
    I suspect 787-10 orders will be reduced to 19 from 30, instead of adding 19 to the current 30 order, which would suggest a less aggressive growth plan.
    All the media I read so far have written that it's a 30+19 order. Yes, it is very aggressive. They'll have to find quite a number of heavy medium range destinations to utilize them all.

Comment

• A renewed 9V-SVB!

Dear all, my first post here on SQTalk though I do post regularly on other platforms... Happy that my first post brings good news to all!

I had the pleasure of being on SQ's oldest 772, and indeed SQ's oldest aircraft 9V-SVB this morning on SQ 176 to Hanoi and was surprised when I was asked to press 'enter' instead of the 'right' button on my IFE controller. Imagine my surprise when the revolving icons appeared instead of a list. This was followed by delight when the excellent 2D maps (I hate the 3D ones) appeared on a clear, non grainy screen, and also when I discovered that full seasons of TV shows were available. Indeed the Krisworld magazine was the one that had the full suite of offerings, similar to what I had on the A330 last week.

A walk to Economy also revealed that indeed the 2006 Y seats and IFE have been installed on this aircraft as well.

Here are the pictures for reference:

Crystal clear map.

Full season of TV shows available.

2006 Y seats with 2013 seat covers and carpets.

Important to note though - The IFE controller in Y is the new-ish one, while in J they have retained the old controllers:

Also, I believe USB ports are available in Y, but not in J. I suppose it was easy to do in Y since the entire seat was ported over from the 77Ws and everything is on the seat back, whereas in J they'd have to change the panels on the seat etc...

So, great news for Y pax, almost-great news for J pax.

It's telling that the oldest aircraft has been refitted. Seems like the 772ER fleet is here to stay for a while more!

Comment

• So does this mean that we have another sub fleet for the 772ER? Kinda hoping that SQ will refurbish all the 772ER fleet to have the 2006 Y instead of the refurbished Y but something tells me that these birds might not be around for long enough for this to be viable for the whole fleet.

Comment

• Originally posted by PEK A380 View Post
          So does this mean that we have another sub fleet for the 772ER? Kinda hoping that SQ will refurbish all the 772ER fleet to have the 2006 Y instead of the refurbished Y but something tells me that these birds might not be around for long enough for this to be viable for the whole fleet.
          Looks like it!

Comment

• Originally posted by pokfur View Post
            Dear all, my first post here on SQTalk though I do post regularly on other platforms... Happy that my first post brings good news to all!

I had the pleasure of being on SQ's oldest 772, and indeed SQ's oldest aircraft 9V-SVB this morning on SQ 176 to Hanoi and was surprised when I was asked to press 'enter' instead of the 'right' button on my IFE controller. Imagine my surprise when the revolving icons appeared instead of a list. This was followed by delight when the excellent 2D maps (I hate the 3D ones) appeared on a clear, non grainy screen, and also when I discovered that full seasons of TV shows were available. Indeed the Krisworld magazine was the one that had the full suite of offerings, similar to what I had on the A330 last week.

A walk to Economy also revealed that indeed the 2006 Y seats and IFE have been installed on this aircraft as well.

Here are the pictures for reference:

Crystal clear map.

Full season of TV shows available.

2006 Y seats with 2013 seat covers and carpets.

Important to note though - The IFE controller in Y is the new-ish one, while in J they have retained the old controllers:

Also, I believe USB ports are available in Y, but not in J. I suppose it was easy to do in Y since the entire seat was ported over from the 77Ws and everything is on the seat back, whereas in J they'd have to change the panels on the seat etc...

It's telling that the oldest aircraft has been refitted. Seems like the 772ER fleet is here to stay for a while more!
            OMG awesome! Hoping that I'll fly with 9V-SVB in June and July then!
            Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

Comment

• ^^
              That's good to hear. My guess is that the 2006 Y seats came from the 77Ws whose seats were replaced by the 2013 Y seats (with a change in seat cover). I believe CX had a similar arrangements where their infamous 2007-08 long-haul Y seats previously featured in their own 77Ws became 'hand me downs' and were used on regional aircraft.

Comment

• Originally posted by PEK A380 View Post
                So does this mean that we have another sub fleet for the 772ER? Kinda hoping that SQ will refurbish all the 772ER fleet to have the 2006 Y instead of the refurbished Y but something tells me that these birds might not be around for long enough for this to be viable for the whole fleet.
                I think some, if not all, 772s will stay till the A350Rs and 787-10s arrive, so coupled with the A330s leaving, I'm sure SQ would have decided how many 772s to refurbish and how many to let go.

I just thought it's surprising that the SV series are being refurbished, since a good 10 long-haul configured A350s have already been delivered. I hope this means SQ is re-categorizing 'regional' flights to shorter routes, and putting more and more SV series flat beds on long-A330 routes (e.g. Australia, Korea) We have already seen that with Brisbane.. Hopefully more to come as Rome, CPH get transferred to A350s.

Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
                ^^
                That's good to hear. My guess is that the 2006 Y seats came from the 77Ws whose seats were replaced by the 2013 Y seats (with a change in seat cover). I believe CX had a similar arrangements where their infamous 2007-08 long-haul Y seats previously featured in their own 77Ws became 'hand me downs' and were used on regional aircraft.
                Yes some of the 773s got the hand me down hard-shells but I think the 772s got the new long-haul Y seats. (no longer 'new' since A350 has introduced yet another Y seat...)

Comment

I just thought it's surprising that the SV series are being refurbished, since a good 10 long-haul configured A350s have already been delivered. I hope this means SQ is re-categorizing 'regional' flights to shorter routes, and putting more and more SV series flat beds on long-A330 routes (e.g. Australia, Korea) We have already seen that with Brisbane.. Hopefully more to come as Rome, CPH get transferred to A350s.
                  My thoughts exactly. Hopefully they can use newly refurbished 772ERs with the 2006 J and 2006 Y to standardise their hard product to the Australian market. We keep reading about various complaints from Australian customers regarding the regional J on various forums and news outlets. Hopefully these refurbished planes are SQ's response and will resonate well with the customers.

I know it's kinda wishful thinking but I really want the 772s on the PEK route to be upgraded to this long haul J. The regional J product isn't really comfortable for those overnight and early morning flights. But at least one of the flights is getting upgraded to the 77W and we still have the A380 on afternoon flights. I guess you can't always have it all now can you.

Comment

• I thought the initial batch of A350s were supposed to replace the SV-series planes? Refitting the oldest 772ER indicates that SQ has no immediate plans to phase them out.

Comment

• Does anyone know when 9V-SVB got refitted? Are there currently any other 777-200ER's (SV-series) with the 2006 Y seats?

Comment

• Originally posted by SQavgeek View Post
                        Does anyone know when 9V-SVB got refitted? Are there currently any other 777-200ER's (SV-series) with the 2006 Y seats?
                        I fly the SV series once or twice a month and so far this has been the first one I've seen refitted. I thought I saw it on a test flight last month so that could be it...

Last time I flew SVB was last September and it will still the old seats.

Comment

• #randomthought

Wouldn't it be great if SQ refurbished 9V-SVF with 2013 products.

LOL.

Comment

#randomthought

Wouldn't it be great if SQ refurbished 9V-SVF with 2013 products.

LOL.
                            It sure would be pretty awesome!

Comment

Hi pokfur and welcome to the forum!

I don't think I've ever seen a better first post than this! Really excellent work and something the whole forum will find valuable.

I was wondering why SVB was out of service for such a long time and now you've answered the question with really good news as someone who is frequently flying on this type of plane.

I'm also really stunned that they would refurnish their oldest plane. My guess was that they would have begun with the newer ones in the series, e.g. SVL-N and worked out over time how many they needed to keep. Clearly SQ sees these planes as sufficiently fuel efficient to keep them in the skies for quite a few more years. Basically, as long as I get a good seat and IFE (2006 passes that test) then I'm not concerned if I'm on a 20yo SQ plane.

For people's reference, here is a seat in Y on the exact same plane that I had to sit in for almost 8 hours:

That's quite an upgrade that's just occurred because sitting on that old thing was like sitting on a park bench!

Comment

I fly the SV series once or twice a month and so far this has been the first one I've seen refitted. I thought I saw it on a test flight last month so that could be it...

Last time I flew SVB was last September and it will still the old seats.
                                The old seats were still there in January at least.

I noticed that SVB had returned to the skies only about 7-10 days ago. I had been monitoring it fairly regularly in the hope it was leaving! That refit is very recent.

Comment

Working...
                                X