This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iancasillas View Post
    It has to do with leased aircraft and owned aircraft. The A333 has reached the end of the leasing contract and with the A350 incoming, it probably not worth for SIA to renew or extend the lease. As with aircraft leasing, the lessor will also probably will not want a short term lease.

On the hand, the 772 are all owned by SIA and probably has reached the end of its depreciation. Hence there is no depreciation cost to the airline, only operating cost.
    Completely agree with all your points. I think that's exactly the current situation.

Having said that, I don't want any more flights in old 772s unless they fit them out with the 2006 seats and IFE coming out of the 77Ws. I'll happily still fly with the 10 yo product but 16 year old seats and screens that were most probably designed and/or manufactured long before that just don't protect SQ's reputation...

Comment

• I believe that the original batch of A330s are on 6-7 year leases. Are the second batch on longer operating leases?

Comment

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
        I believe that the original batch of A330s are on 6-7 year leases. Are the second batch on longer operating leases?
        I thought it was 5-6 year. Some left about their 5th birthday. It's difficult to know what goes on behind closed doors! I did note that a big section of the 'alphabet' that all left, STI-L perhaps, all had the same lessor according to planespotters, but can't remember who.

There has also been talk of extensions to leases as well as an indication in March from SQ that about another four or five were to leave in the 2016-7 FY. It's quite possible that STA, B & C, all leased by AWAS may have been extended together and could be going to leave as a block. STQ & STR are both with AerCap and approaching their 6th birfthdays, so they might also be up for departing. We really have to wait and see I guess.

Comment

• Are the A350s also leased? The A330 were supposed to just bridge the gap to A350s, with the delay in A350, natural that lease terms are coming up for A330s and SQ is preferring to keep the old 772 vs. extending leases

Comment

• Originally posted by hviswanathan View Post
            Are the A350s also leased? The A330 were supposed to just bridge the gap to A350s, with the delay in A350, natural that lease terms are coming up for A330s and SQ is preferring to keep the old 772 vs. extending leases
            If I remember correctly, the A330s were leased to SQ at very good rates from Airbus as compensation for A380 delays and problems. They were to serve as an interim replacement for the older 772s before the A350s arrive. But with the A330s being returned to lessors, the 772s are now replacing the A330s on some routes, which is ironic.

I'm not sure if any of the A350s will be leased, but with a fleet 67 (and potentially more) A350s, there would probably be a handful that would be on operating leases.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
              Completely agree with all your points. I think that's exactly the current situation.

Having said that, I don't want any more flights in old 772s unless they fit them out with the 2006 seats and IFE coming out of the 77Ws. I'll happily still fly with the 10 yo product but 16 year old seats and screens that were most probably designed and/or manufactured long before that just don't protect SQ's reputation...

Have you tried SVF? or SRJ/SRL?. Man these are old

I really doubt SQ is gonna invest in the 772s anymore but rather milk them for what ever it's worth and then let the a350s slowly trickle in. Also they are expecting 787-10 being the launch customer so I really don't see any value (in SQ eyes) in upgrading them

Comment

• 9V-SVF is flying to FRA as SQ8850 to rescue stranded passengers due to the SQ25 (9V-SKM) AOG situation in JFK.
                Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• Originally posted by alian View Post
                  Have you tried SVF? or SRJ/SRL?. Man these are old

I really doubt SQ is gonna invest in the 772s anymore but rather milk them for what ever it's worth and then let the a350s slowly trickle in. Also they are expecting 787-10 being the launch customer so I really don't see any value (in SQ eyes) in upgrading them
                  The SRJ/SRL are the ones plying the SIN-BKK routes

Comment

• When are the 787-10s expected?

Comment

• Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
                      When are the 787-10s expected?
                      I recalled it'll be in 2018-19 with new interiors

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-busin-423896/

Comment

• Guess we'll be seeing the old 772s for awhile more, then......

Comment

• Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
                          Guess we'll be seeing the old 772s for awhile more, then......
                          Yup, they sadly aren't going anywhere soon. I seriously loathe flying these planes with tatty and outdated cabins, and I'm unfortunate enough to have them flying on the routes I frequently fly. But with the low fuel prices, SQ is probably going to keep them for a couple more years.

Can anyone confirm if SVJ or any other SV-series plane has actually been refitted with new Y seats and upgraded IFE? I can only hope that it has been and all my upcoming flights on these planes would be on SVJ.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
                            Yup, they sadly aren't going anywhere soon. I seriously loathe flying these planes with tatty and outdated cabins, and I'm unfortunate enough to have them flying on the routes I frequently fly. But with the low fuel prices, SQ is probably going to keep them for a couple more years.

Can anyone confirm if SVJ or any other SV-series plane has actually been refitted with new Y seats and upgraded IFE? I can only hope that it has been and all my upcoming flights on these planes would be on SVJ.
                            Seems like I am the only person that likes the old 777-200s and their interiors haha, but I guess that's because it was ages ago since I flew with SQ's newer products.
                            Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQavgeek View Post
                              Seems like I am the only person that likes the old 777-200s and their interiors haha, but I guess that's because it was ages ago since I flew with SQ's newer products.
                              I don't mind them too much, as long as it's on the short-haul segment of my trip. That's probably almost always the case these days; I think the 772s flying medium-haul routes now are fitted with the regional J product at least.

I'm also willing to bear it when my next leg is on a 77WN, which happens relatively often for me. The only way to connect to SQ318 from MNL is on SQ315.

Comment

• 9V-SKD just completed an air-test as SQ8898 this afternoon.
                                Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Working...
                                X