This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iancasillas View Post
    Yeah man. It seems like SIA will not be able to meet their announced deadline to complete the programme by September 2016.
    Unfortunately it sounds like it will be 2017 that they are done with refitting the entire fleet. At the very minimal they can just take all the old seats and configure them the same way as the 77WN layout, with only two differences: Some planes will still have a mix of OnAir or no Wifi and the planes refitted will contain the new 3D maps. Premium Economy doesn't have to be installed on every plane unless demand warrants to do so. Then again there will still be confusion between the 77W and 77WN if planes are refitted to the same config but with 77WN seats.

Again don't forget, sometime in the 2nd half of the year they will be installing GX Aviation Wifi on the 77Ws first to aid them with their 77W refit program if you read the article that was posted quite a while back. Let's hope it doesn't take too long and that the Wifi will be time-based (hopefully).

Comment

• The talk within the circle for the slowing down of PEY refits is the product is not as popular as they anticipated it to be (which is reflected in their recent pricing down of PEY across the board and aggressive marketing for PEY at outstations) and the arrival of the long haul A359 which are fitted with PEY. Seems like the Refit exercise is currently on hold and nobody knows if they will continue with the program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tonitan View Post
        The talk within the circle for the slowing down of PEY refits is the product is not as popular as they anticipated it to be (which is reflected in their recent pricing down of PEY across the board and aggressive marketing for PEY at outstations) and the arrival of the long haul A359 which are fitted with PEY. Seems like the Refit exercise is currently on hold and nobody knows if they will continue with the program.
        That made sense. Their PEY price is overpriced (unlike when it was first sold). An example would be Narita from CGK. I got a ticket priced at around usd 1700 when it was first sold in PEY. Normal economy was 1200 and lowest was 900. After that i opted for NH J class due to their price (1900usd, which is only 200 usd more than SQ PEY) for my next flight. Never looked at PEY anymore after that. The last time i looked at PEY price, it was more expensive than NH J.

Comment

The talk within the circle for the slowing down of PEY refits is the product is not as popular as they anticipated it to be (which is reflected in their recent pricing down of PEY across the board and aggressive marketing for PEY at outstations) and the arrival of the long haul A359 which are fitted with PEY. Seems like the Refit exercise is currently on hold and nobody knows if they will continue with the program.
          Actually i believe PEY is not the main aim of the refit programme of the 77W. The main objective is to standardlise the entire fleet of 77W to have the same hard product which is the 2013 cabin products. If PEY is not that popular, they could have very well go ahead with the refit to boost the size of the fleet of 9V-SWU to 9V-SNA.
          Last edited by iancasillas; 6 June 2016, 11:38 PM. Reason: error

Comment

Actually i believe PEY is not the main aim of the refit programme of the 77W. The main objective is to standardlise the entire fleet of 77W to have the same hard product which is the 2013 cabin products. If PEY is not that popular, they could have very well go ahead with the refit to boost the size of the fleet of 9V-SWU to 9V-SNA.
            That's what I kept saying. The refit doesn't have to involve converting from old 77W to 77WR. In fact for all they can do they can simply just refit the fleet to 77WN configuration with new seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
              That's what I kept saying. The refit doesn't have to involve converting from old 77W to 77WR. In fact for all they can do they can simply just refit the fleet to 77WN configuration with new seats.
              Exactly!

Comment

Exactly!
                Yeah so they can easily avoid unnecessary switches to the old 77W like SQ318/319 and SQ227/228 a good number of days!

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                  Yeah so they can easily avoid unnecessary switches to the old 77W like SQ318/319 and SQ227/228 a good number of days!
                  yeah!!! I managed to secure a J saver on SQ318 on 30 Jan. Though its still good 7 months away.. i'm actually quite 'nervous' about it seeing the old 77Ws being deployed for this flight recently

Comment

yeah!!! I managed to secure a J saver on SQ318 on 30 Jan. Though its still good 7 months away.. i'm actually quite 'nervous' about it seeing the old 77Ws being deployed for this flight recently
                    Good luck for your SQ318! I can feel your anxiety over the allocation of aircraft on the actual day! On SQ318 u can look forward to a sumptous lunch and a 'not so light' dinner to enjoy!

On a separate note,the main purpose of the 77W refitting exercise other than the addition of PEY is to reduce F to 4 and increase J to 48 which is a better reflection of the actual demand for the respective cabins. There is remote possibility for them to refit the rest of the fleet to 77WN as it doesnt make economic sense. If they do indeed intend to replace the 2006 product to 2013 product, the A380 fleet would have priority as the fleet are currently showing it's age and seriously needs some refurnishment.

However the refits will not happen for now for the A380 as the remaining fleet would be refitted with the latest 2017 product once it is launched next year.

Comment

Good luck for your SQ318! I can feel your anxiety over the allocation of aircraft on the actual day! On SQ318 u can look forward to a sumptous lunch and a 'not so light' dinner to enjoy!

On a separate note,the main purpose of the 77W refitting exercise other than the addition of PEY is to reduce F to 4 and increase J to 48 which is a better reflection of the actual demand for the respective cabins. There is remote possibility for them to refit the rest of the fleet to 77WN as it doesnt make economic sense. If they do indeed intend to replace the 2006 product to 2013 product, the A380 fleet would have priority as the fleet are currently showing it's age and seriously needs some refurnishment.

However the refits will not happen for now for the A380 as the remaining fleet would be refitted with the latest 2017 product once it is launched next year.
                      I was thinking of that too. In the 4 weeks that SWQ and SWS were under maintenance, they could have made it as a 77WT configuration like they used to with SWJ and SWK last year. Before they proceed to the 77WN fleet, they should simply refit at least SWQ-SWT to 77WT and then head to the other newer 77WN fleet. I assume the rest of the fleet that is already 77WR will remain unchanged until unless demand for PEY drops on one or more routes and warrants them to go to a 77WT configuration removing 4F and increasing J to 48 leaving the number of Y seats unchanged.

I assume once they begin cracking on the GX Aviation Wifi per aircraft also refits will then take place then according to SitaOnair's article.

Comment

• Off topic but could somebody quickly explain the difference between 77WN, 77WR and 77WT and any others versions if they exist.

Comment

• By "product" I mean the seats.

77W = 2006 product, 8 F seats, no PEY
                          77WN = 2013 product, 8 F seats, no PEY
                          77WR = 2013 product, 4 F seats, with PEY
                          77WT = 2013 product, 4 F seats. no PEY

The 77WR also has more J seats than either the 77W or 77WN (48 versus 42). Not sure about the 77WT.

Comment

• Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
                            By "product" I mean the seats.

77W = 2006 product, 8 F seats, no PEY
                            77WN = 2013 product, 8 F seats, no PEY
                            77WR = 2013 product, 4 F seats, with PEY
                            77WT = 2013 product, 4 F seats. no PEY

The 77WR also has more J seats than either the 77W or 77WN (48 versus 42). Not sure about the 77WT.
                            77WT had 48 J seats but that config no longer exist. The 2 77WT are now in 77WR config

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              77WT had 48 J seats but that config no longer exist. The 2 77WT are now in 77WR config
                              I know the 77WT config does not exist anymore but if you think SQ should continue refitting 77Ws, I agree but that's the minimal they should refit it to 77WT configuration since they said they promised they will update all 77W with the 2013 cabin products. That's if their aim of the refits is to remove 4 First Class seats, otherwise they can simply refit it to 77WN configuration.

Again and I will say it again, if demand warrants for PEY, they can continue, but (Yes there is a BUT) if not, they don't have to configure it with PEY. Besides, sounds to me SQ is thinking of what PEY routes to launch so they can hold off on the refits. Based on my estimate at the rate they're going it will be 2017 anyway. DXB frequently gets switches from 77WR to either a 77WN or a 77W the most unlike other routes; Look SWQ is flying 494/495 today. The route that's never got switches is SFO because that's their first morning route of the day after many 77WR planes arrive from Europe or the ME or even their own frame from SFO/ICN though most of the time they take other frames.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                                It would seem so as they are flying mostly to PEY destinations.

I believe SKD may currently be undergoing wing repairs and that SKP may be currently undergoing PEY installation, based on flight records over the last fortnight.

Also, anyone who has an upcoming 773 flight and may encounter SYH- is this the second refitted IFE/interior joining SYI or is it still the old one? It was out of service for quite a while.
                                Just view some photos from Instagram, and it seems that 9V-SYH is fitted with the 2006 IFE/interior.

Comment

Working...
                                X