SQ308 CAT encounter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ308 CAT encounter

Looks like SQ308 had a CAT encounter. Quite a mess.

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=462eaf1c&opt=0

Why were the FSS wearing the shoes that they wear for take-off and landing when they were serving meals? Did they change their shoes in preparation for CAT?

Comment

Originally posted by gumption View Post
      Why were the FSS wearing the shoes that they wear for take-off and landing when they were serving meals? Did they change their shoes in preparation for CAT?
      Maybe as a precaution for anymore unexpected severe turbulence?

Comment

I'd thought with the cabin in such a mess and passengers injured the Captain would return to Singapore. I wouldn't want to be in that aircraft for the next 13 hours...

Comment

After reading the comments from a PAX on board the injuries where not major. The FA's cleaned up and got on with it. I bet it took a while to get that all sorted out!

Comment

Originally posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
            I'd thought with the cabin in such a mess and passengers injured the Captain would return to Singapore. I wouldn't want to be in that aircraft for the next 13 hours...
            Looking at the mess in the picture reminded me of the QF A333 that lost altitude and had to make an emergency landing in Western Australia a few years back. Glad this one ended normally, although I wouldn't want to be flying with that mess for another 12 hours.

Also, I wasn't surprised at the area this occurred in (refer to the map in the link). This time of year is when the monsoon season begins over the Andaman Sea/Bay of Bengal and storm clouds and CAT abound, creating lots of fun flights.

Comment

I thought the pilots were being overcautious on my recent trip to London but I can see why they were now.

On several occasions both ways, we were warned of impending turbulence.

Crew were asked to be seated a few times.

Luckily I would describe the turbulence encountered as mild ( can still use toilet if emergency, not that I did )

Comment

Originally posted by JonLee View Post
                Maybe as a precaution for anymore unexpected severe turbulence?

Being an early morning flight that requires serving breakfast once after take off,
                crew are permitted to use their court shoes during meal services.

It is mandatory to wear them during take off and landings.

They must change to sandals during transfers from aircraft to airport and to hotels.

Fortunately no serious injuries. The Bay of Bengal is infamous for turbulence.
                Believe it and respect it even if the seat belt sign is switched off.
                All it takes is one foolish heroic act and you may end up paralysed for life.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflight Sup View Post
                  Being an early morning flight that requires serving breakfast once after take off,
                  crew are permitted to use their court shoes during meal services.

It is mandatory to wear them during take off and landings.

They must change to sandals during transfers from aircraft to airport and to hotels.

Fortunately no serious injuries. The Bay of Bengal is infamous for turbulence.
                  Believe it and respect it even if the seat belt sign is switched off.
                  All it takes is one foolish heroic act and you may end up paralysed for life.

Thanks for the info abt the shoes. Well, thankfully the injuries were not as severe as the Qantas flight and the plane was not damaged

Comment

Originally posted by mr_botak View Post
                    Looks like SQ308 had a CAT encounter. Quite a mess.
                    Before I clicked on the link I thought one of our feline friends had been minced through a Trent 900....

There are some fabulously silly comments with that article...

Comment

Originally posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
                      Well the prospect of returning to Singapore would mean many many hours of delays for many hundreds of passengers. So with only minor injuries and the crew cleaning up the aisles I think everyone was better off continuing to London.
                      My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

SIN-LHR on 26 May : Severe Turbulence

Anyone on that flight to share their experience?

http://www.therealsingapore.com/?url...urbulence#2767

Comment

This would have freaked me out. Luckily I always choose to buckle up whenever I'm seated.

Comment

Originally posted by RCTP View Post
                            This would have freaked me out. Luckily I always choose to buckle up whenever I'm seated.
                            Good for you though I would venture that you would be in the minority. There are many "tough-guy-frequent-flyers" out there who always believe that airlines are being overly cautious with their many safety reminders. Once in a while, it's good to have an incident like this to remind these "last action heroes" that while you may think you're a frequent flyer, Mother Nature still has the final word.
                            Have you checked your blind spot lately?

Comment

Originally posted by astroboy View Post
                              Good for you though I would venture that you would be in the minority. There are many "tough-guy-frequent-flyers" out there who always believe that airlines are being overly cautious with their many safety reminders. Once in a while, it's good to have an incident like this to remind these "last action heroes" that while you may think you're a frequent flyer, Mother Nature still has the final word.

Last action hero vs Ceiling whacked head on: Ceiling 1, Nick Nolte wannabe: 0. I promise.

Seatbelts are important. I've seen people whack their heads against the seat in front during sudden braking during taxiing because they weren't belted in.

Comment

Working...
                              X