July 9 - 11 : SQ presents new F and J seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
    My hot towels usually run double duty cleaning my phone/iPad. Guess there might be a third use soon enough...
    +1 some ladies do clean their feet too..

Comment

Originally posted by Handiman View Post
      Not much of a lady...!

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj
        My hot towels usually run double duty cleaning my phone/iPad. Guess there might be a third use soon enough...
        Originally posted by Handiman
        Someone PLEASE tell me that SQ does NOT recycle the used towels. If they don't, please DON'T tell me.

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
          Not much of a lady...!
          believe me .. i see a lot..

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
          Someone PLEASE tell me that SQ does NOT recycle the used towels. If they don't, please DON'T tell me.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
            If SQ is indeed heading down this route, I hope the system will be a lot better than EK's. (AND NOT DEVELOPED BY THE SAME PEOPLE WHO DID THE WEBSITE... )
            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by Handiman View Post
              wow - and i thought seeing people putting the plates and cutlery from their meal into their bag to take home was bad!

Comment

Well well, all I can say is be prepared for a HD touchscreen in YCL. I believe the offering for IFE in terms of better games is on the cards as well.

no touchscreen in F and J (i think) since the seat is probably too far away from the screen to press.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  Honestly if they wanted touchscreens they'd be better off embedding iPads with preloaded content into the seat with only the displays 'touchable'. We'd end up looking at a nice, sharp Retina screen. Probably be a heck of a weight saving, also. Can't be that hard to implement, wonder why more airlines don't do it.
                  It wont happen, managing the content on the iPads isn't easy. With SQ changing the films monthly it will take up far to much time to update them.

Comment

There's more than one way to skin a cat, and it is possible. QF themselves are starting to implement this, first on their 767s.

Comment

Yes, they can potentially do it if they can get enough bandwidth on their wi-fi to stream content to the tablets. They could also have a nicely wired tablet (just to make sure no one takes it home), which would be far more efficient for content transfer. But that would mean they would still have to have a main server unit like today to distribute the content. Whether or not that makes sense as far as cost and weight is concerned, I don't know. If they can get rid of all the magazines and newspapers, by making them available on the tablet, it would save weight and reduce logistics ... and call it the green movement(!)

Comment

With respect, I disagree - getting rid of the bulky, heavy IFE boxes under the seats is sure to provide space gains, weight reductions, not to mention the size of the iPad are far, far slimmer than the screens they have currently baked into the back of the chairs. I'm all for wiring up the iPads directly to a main server, if they don't want to pre-load it during MX monthly.

The technology has arrived for a few years now - they should incorporate some forward thinking here... as mentioned earlier, even the unlikely (QF) are starting to do it and the fuel savings will show eventually.

And I prefer to keep the paper magazines going. It's still not as pleasant to read on - and have an e-version on the iPads that's formatted for landscape viewing if needed. With Retina display quality.

Comment

While I'm an Apple loyalist, the fact that Android in open source makes it more likely that it will be the first to be applied in such situations, IMO. There was a recent Bloomberg Businessweek article discussing how Android in penetrating many more devices and applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo
                            With respect, I disagree - getting rid of the bulky, heavy IFE boxes under the seats is sure to provide space gains, weight reductions, not to mention the size of the iPad are far, far slimmer than the screens they have currently baked into the back of the chairs. I'm all for wiring up the iPads directly to a main server, if they don't want to pre-load it during MX monthly.
                            I forgot about those big boxes below the seats (too many J flights ). Removing them will indeed make alot of sense, doubly so for Y where one has problems sometimes stretching out or putting some luggage below.

Originally posted by milehighj
                            While I'm an Apple loyalist, the fact that Android in open source makes it more likely that it will be the first to be applied in such situations, IMO. There was a recent Bloomberg Businessweek article discussing how Android in penetrating many more devices and applications.
                            Agree, with the opensource advantage of Android. One doesn't need to re-invent the wheel with so many apps already available on it, hence keeping costs down and open it up to more competitive providers. OT: just yesterday there was a rumour running around that Samsung's next mirrorless camera will have Android running on it, which left many puzzled as to the reason. Perhaps it is to make available post-editing apps in-camera and other instant-gratifying social "broadcasting" functions.

Comment

Anyone thinks that there'll be a change in the headphones? Or am I being too hopeful?

Comment

Any dumb terminal makes more sense than a smart one...
                                HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                                X