PPS & Miles&More combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPS & Miles&More combo

Since I will be relocating to SIN in July this year, I have been thinking of whether I should pursue PPS + double-dipping the miles into Miles&More (for LH F Redemptions). Anyway, I could get KF miles from credit card spending (both HKG-based and later on SIN-based).

Any advise from the veterans here?

As you are the first poster on this thread:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1621

aren't there some nuggets in there (I admit to not having read through it in a LONG time)?
    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
      As you are the first poster on this thread:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1621

aren't there some nuggets in there (I admit to not having read through it in a LONG time)?
      Thanks for re-directing me back to that thread! I forgot that I had actually started the thread 6 years ago

Things have changed for M&M as far I know and D class fare no longer accrues 200% (only 150%).

I just want to gauge the general perception of SQTalkers towards M&M nowadays given those changes (and the demise of BD) and whether it's still worth it to put my miles there?

Comment

Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post
        Since I will be relocating to SIN in July this year, I have been thinking of whether I should pursue PPS + double-dipping the miles into Miles&More (for LH F Redemptions). Anyway, I could get KF miles from credit card spending (both HKG-based and later on SIN-based).

Any advise from the veterans here?
        Double-Dipping for LH is meaningful to get/keep SEN but that's about it.

LH F redemptions out of SIN are difficult to get while SQ F availability is excellent.

Being based in Singapore, you will have access to all the additional Krisflyer miles from credit cards - just reaching awards by flying is difficult.

LH F is 210,000 M&M miles
        SQ F is 180,000 Krisflyer miles

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
          Double-Dipping for LH is meaningful to get/keep SEN but that's about it.

LH F redemptions out of SIN are difficult to get while SQ F availability is excellent.

Being based in Singapore, you will have access to all the additional Krisflyer miles from credit cards - just reaching awards by flying is difficult.

LH F is 210,000 M&M miles
          SQ F is 180,000 Krisflyer miles
          Thanks for the advice. I know about the awards redemption level on LH....so, those F awards are difficult to get ex-SIN eh?

So, which alternative program would you bank your miles on (if not M&M)? I won't consider banking it on KF, as I could get it from CC as you mentioned.

Comment

Thanks for re-directing me back to that thread! I forgot that I had actually started the thread 6 years ago
            Did you start it or did someone break it off another thread? [Wanted to give proper credit.]

So, which alternative program would you bank your miles on (if not M&M)? I won't consider banking it on KF, as I could get it from CC as you mentioned.
            You know that completely depends on your flying patterns...
            HUGE AL

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I know about the awards redemption level on LH....so, those F awards are difficult to get ex-SIN eh?

YK@HKG, if you fly enough to achieve LH SEN, then getting LH/LX F awards becomes easier. And if you plan to redeem flights for two people, you will be able to get the second at 50%.
              The added advantage of accruing to LH M&M is that you will have more access to SQ awards than with other *A programs.

Another way to look at it would be regionally. Are you going to be travelling more to North America or Europe? It might make sense to have status on an airline that you will actually be travelling on.

Or go after OZ *G for life...

And for those D tickets on SQ, one option would be to accrue those to KF and add to the credit card miles.
              /Desert Traveller

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Traveller View Post
                YK@HKG, if you fly enough to achieve LH SEN, then getting LH/LX F awards becomes easier. And if you plan to redeem flights for two people, you will be able to get the second at 50%.
                The added advantage of accruing to LH M&M is that you will have more access to SQ awards than with other *A programs.

Another way to look at it would be regionally. Are you going to be travelling more to North America or Europe? It might make sense to have status on an airline that you will actually be travelling on.

Or go after OZ *G for life...

And for those D tickets on SQ, one option would be to accrue those to KF and add to the credit card miles.
                i used to double dip all my flight miles to M&M and rely on credit cards to top up my KF account but have changed back to KF over the past year because a) its now much easier to get saver upgrades using KF miles on SQ b) its hard even to get business class redemptions on LH out of Singapore, upgrades from economy are tricky given the fare class restrictions and even upgrades to first takes a lot of calls and c) now that D class only gets 150%, I must confess that its hard to keep track of what flights I should be crediting to which programme (OK, this is rather pathetic but my aging brain can only take so much)

Comment

Since I will be relocating to SIN in July this year, I have been thinking of whether I should pursue PPS
                  It depends on how often you plan to be flying SQ and whether those travel plans will occasionally involve last minute changes whereby QPP status will be advantageous should you end up on the waitlist.

For example, on an overbooked A333, a TPP is almost always guaranteed a seat and will prolly be waiting in the lounge and a QPP will have priority over *G and other elites at the standby counter and also have a good chance of boarding.

Also In JCL on the A333, for example, QPP status will also ensure you get your choice of mains for the meal. In fact, the crew will often ask you for your preference first. That is, unless there are 10 TPPs seated elsewhere in those six rows with you, in which case, they get asked their choice of the main course first
                  Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by B727 View Post
                    It depends on how often you plan to be flying SQ and whether those travel plans will occasionally involve last minute changes whereby QPP status will be advantageous should you end up on the waitlist.

For example, on an overbooked A333, a TPP is almost always guaranteed a seat and will prolly be waiting in the lounge and a QPP will have priority over *G and other elites at the standby counter and also have a good chance of boarding.

Also In JCL on the A333, for example, QPP status will also ensure you get your choice of mains for the meal. In fact, the crew will often ask you for your preference first. That is, unless there are 10 TPPs seated elsewhere in those six rows with you, in which case, they get asked their choice of the main course first
                    Thanks everyone for the input. I know that ultimately, the decision will depend a lot on my travel pattern.

Considering that I will be based in SIN now, it will be difficult for me to keep flying CX and keep status in OW (which is what I have been doing for the past 6 years) in the future. So, QPP (and Star Alliance) is one attractive option. But the thing is, I don't want to keep the miles in SQ KF and would rather want to deposit that in an alternative program like LH M&M.

It will be an easy decision if LH still keeps the 200% status miles for SQ D-class fares as before. But with the 150% status miles, the equation changes a little bit.

Comment

In the old days when a) my firm would pay for Biz on longhauls and b) LH gave 200% for SQ D fares I always did PPS sector credit to SQ and miles to LH. Yes it was a long time ago when SQ still did sector credits vs. value.

These days (admittedly) I fly mostly Y for work so crediting to KF comes easy and the 25% bonus miles for SQ metal with my KF *S (wow I know ) helps. Only flights I credit to LH are SIN-KUL-SIN (E fares or higher) as they get 500/750mls in M&M versus 1xx mls in KF. What convinced me was that I could combine my credit card spend here in SIN with my flown miles and that C & F are now available at Saver award levels with best availability through KF (though LH M&M is not bad) and I get 15% online discount for redemptions.

I did redeem two last SEN companion awards before my status expired for SIN-ZRH-XXX-ZRH-SIN on LX C and SIN-FRA-XXX on LH F, but it was tough to find availabilty with LH M&M for 2 pax even 10-11 months out. I have been trying to redeem my last 2 eVocuhers for maybe a year now and never scored the upgrade (Y - C longhaul). Guess it will go to a SIN-BKK-SIN RT or smiliar to not go to waste.

So LH M&M isn't bad, but not that attractive any longer. Don't get me wrong, I would still chose it over UA MP or other FFPs even though the award fees (YQ etc.) are horrendous as LH overall still has decent award inventory and availability, but if you plan on redeeming on SQ then I would put all my earnings there.

Comment

Working...
                      X