SQ and VX to codeshare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ and VX to codeshare

Press release here: Singapore Airlines And Virgin America Sign Codeshare Agreement
    /Desert Traveller

Good news except that SQ is starting codesharing with VX, not VA.

Someone suggested on a different thread for SQ to codeshare with VA on LAX-SYD. I guess that's not happening.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
      Good news except that SQ is starting codesharing with VX, not VA.

Someone suggested on a different thread for SQ to codeshare with VA on LAX-SYD. I guess that's not happening.
      Whoops, got the various Virgins mixed up. Thanks for pointing that out!
      /Desert Traveller

Comment

Hope one day we can earn KF miles on VX, too

Comment

I can now see the logic of selling VA & tie up with VX.

Flying to North America, I want to fly SQ metal as far as I can, then transfer to another airline for the shorter hop.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
            I can now see the logic of selling VA & tie up with VX....
            Sorry to be picky, SQ sold stake in VS, not VA.

Comment

I don't really get the point of this codeshare, SQ is charging, for instance, $4885 for SIN-(NRT)-LAX-ORD when booked on their website.

Why would anyone pay so much for a 2-stop trip (assuming most people aren't like us who take the longest way there ), when other airlines can fly you 1-stop SIN-NRT-ORD or SIN-HKG-ORD for less than half of what SQ charges.

Even if I wanted to fly SQ, booking SIN-NRT-LAX on SQ.com and then LAX-ORD on VX.com separately would come up to $2462, half of what SQ wants to book it all together on their site.

Any explanations for this? Otherwise the codeshare deal doesn't seem to make much sense.

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
                ...Any explanations for this? Otherwise the codeshare deal doesn't seem to make much sense.
                That's pretty much how all codeshares work. You get through ticketing and be assured of connection since it is on one ticket, but rarely the lowest fare. In fact, I never bother with codeshare unless purchasing full F/C fares.

Comment

Any explanations for this? Otherwise the codeshare deal doesn't seem to make much sense.
                  In days of yore.... when PPS qualification was on miles/sectors, codeshares counted towards PPS. Ah.... those good old days

Comment

I don't really get the point of this codeshare, SQ is charging, for instance, $4885 for SIN-(NRT)-LAX-ORD when booked on their website.

Why would anyone pay so much for a 2-stop trip (assuming most people aren't like us who take the longest way there ), when other airlines can fly you 1-stop SIN-NRT-ORD or SIN-HKG-ORD for less than half of what SQ charges.

Even if I wanted to fly SQ, booking SIN-NRT-LAX on SQ.com and then LAX-ORD on VX.com separately would come up to $2462, half of what SQ wants to book it all together on their site.

I never understood code sharing in terms of pricing neither do I know anyone who had used it for a personal trip. When I checked SQ's website for SIN-NRT-SIN on a codeshare NH flight, the fare in Y was a whooping 3 times of what it was on SQ metal in full Flexi. Who would pay for that?

Comment

Gotta love the airline codes for the Virgin Group.

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
                      I never understood code sharing in terms of pricing neither do I know anyone who had used it for a personal trip. When I checked SQ's website for SIN-NRT-SIN on a codeshare NH flight, the fare in Y was a whooping 3 times of what it was on SQ metal in full Flexi. Who would pay for that?
                      Codeshares CAN work in the opposite way as well. Booking an AC flight from the USA in their Executive Class books into C; the same codeshare flight on UA is much less and books into F. Not only do I save money, I get EQM/RDM for the higher fare basis.
                      HUGE AL

Comment

Thanks for correction.

VA=Virgin Australia
                        VX=Virgin America
                        VS=Virgin Atlantic

Comment

@9V-SIA i thought Virgin Australia was DJ and vAustralia was VA?

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                            @9V-SIA i thought Virgin Australia was DJ and vAustralia was VA?
                            Virgin Blue was DJ (which included Pacific Blue) & V Australia as VA. In 2011, both rolled into one brand as Virgin Australia using the VA designation.

I leave the details of why to the VA guru....

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              Virgin Blue was DJ (which included Pacific Blue) & V Australia as VA. In 2011, both rolled into one brand as Virgin Australia using the VA designation.

I leave the details of why to the VA guru....
                              Just done a dummy search on the Virgin Australia website, BNE > SYD and its showing all flight numbers as DJ and none as VA.

Comment

Working...
                              X