End of the nonstops to LAX & EWR on the A345

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of the nonstops to LAX & EWR on the A345

After all that, the real surprise is in the content!

"... SIA’s five A340-500s, which will
    be removed from service in the fourth quarter of the 2013 calendar year, in line
    with the Airline’s policy to maintain a young fleet. This will result in the cessation
    of non-stop flights between Singapore and Los Angeles and between Singapore
    and Newark, in the absence of replacement aircraft in the SIA fleet with sufficient
    range and operating economics.

“Although disappointing that we will be halting these services, we remain very
    committed to the US market. Over the past two years we have increased capacity
    to both Los Angeles and New York by deploying A380 superjumbos on flights via
    Tokyo and Frankfurt. We will also continue to explore additional options to
    enhance our US services,” added Mr Goh.

With the new commitments announced today, SIA will have firm purchase or
    lease orders in place with Airbus and Boeing for 68 new widebody aircraft,
    including 15 additional A330-300s and eight additional B777-300ERs ordered last
    year. This excludes 20 B787s on firm order that will be transferred to low-cost
    subsidiary Scoot to support its growth plans, as well as regional arm SilkAir’s
    recent order commitments for at least 54 B737 aircraft."

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    After all that, the real surprise is in the content!

"... SIA’s five A340-500s, which will
    be removed from service in the fourth quarter of the 2013 calendar year, in line
    with the Airline’s policy to maintain a young fleet. This will result in the cessation
    of non-stop flights between Singapore and Los Angeles and between Singapore
    and Newark, in the absence of replacement aircraft in the SIA fleet with sufficient
    range and operating economics.

“Although disappointing that we will be halting these services, we remain very
    committed to the US market. Over the past two years we have increased capacity
    to both Los Angeles and New York by deploying A380 superjumbos on flights via
    Tokyo and Frankfurt. We will also continue to explore additional options to
    enhance our US services,” added Mr Goh.

With the new commitments announced today, SIA will have firm purchase or
    lease orders in place with Airbus and Boeing for 68 new widebody aircraft,
    including 15 additional A330-300s and eight additional B777-300ERs ordered last
    year. This excludes 20 B787s on firm order that will be transferred to low-cost
    subsidiary Scoot to support its growth plans, as well as regional arm SilkAir’s
    recent order commitments for at least 54 B737 aircraft."
    I smell a "Last To Journey - A340-500 - SQ22/21" in the offing.

Comment

Just might have to make that one! Never done it before... but 18 hours on the same plane with you lot...

...will surely deplete all stocks of champagne

Comment

Going to NYC will now take two whole hours more. So sad, so sad. My hope for a non-stop to IAH has also come to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
          Going to NYC will now take two whole hours more. So sad, so sad. My hope for a non-stop to IAH has also come to an end.
          SIN-FRA-JFK not so bad.

I hate waking up at 3am EST for FRA stop on the way back

Here's hoping 5 A359 orders will be converted to A359R when available

Comment

Gutted.

LA is down from 3 to 1 movements now. They really do need another flight out there.

Comment

Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post
              Gutted.

LA is down from 3 to 1 movements now. They really do need another flight out there.
              Why would you assume the non-stop would not be replaced with a 1-stop? And we're talking one-year out, btw...

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                SIN-FRA-JFK not so bad.

I hate waking up at 3am EST for FRA stop on the way back

Here's hoping 5 A359 orders will be converted to A359R when available
                I just want to get to the destination chop-chop with the least fuss, minimum queuing, and sleep most of the way through if possible. I used to hate that 747 SIN-FRA-JFK vv flights before the introduction of the non-stop, and when the 345 started, it was heaven!

For all our sakes, I hope your prediction of a a359R will come true. Hopefully before I retire.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  Just might have to make that one! Never done it before... but 18 hours on the same plane with you lot...

...will surely deplete all stocks of champagne
                  Taking into account the "Krug per seat mile" consumption of the Man Who Sat in 4A, I wonder if they could load enough and still do EWR-SIN...

Comment

I reckon, but maybe since this isn't Krug (only in F), there actually might be more bubbly to go around

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                      Devastated that A345 will not be replaced...
                      +1

I guess these flights are bleeding too much $$$ even though loads are quite good.

I am a big fan of these ULH flights to/from US. More time to relax and sleep. I sleep better on these than on any other flights.
                      I wonder what will be the additional services to replace these for LAX and EWR.
                      LAX will be down to 1 daily A380 and NYC 1 daily 77W if no additional services are offered.

Comment

Awwwww man....

Caught a glimpse two of em yesterday morning on our taxi to runway 02C. SGB just in from LAX and another at remote stand. Beautiful babies.
                        Last edited by Short Final; 25 October 2012, 02:02 AM.

Comment

A very sad day in the history of aerospace and aviation. First, man stops going to the moon. Then the space shuttle stops flying. Then Concorde stops flying. And now this.

I will miss the EWR-SIN nonstop very much.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                            I am a big fan of these ULH flights to/from US. More time to relax and sleep. I sleep better on these than on any other flights.
                            I'd agree with you there!

My long hauls are always SIN-Europe, but the length of the flight is the key to good sleep. A 12 hour flight allows 2 hours or so of meal service at either end leaving a good 7-8 hour period to sleep. I always avoid SIN-MEL at night if I can because the time left for sleep is barely 3 hours which is arguably worse than no sleep at all.

Comment

It is incredible to observe that neither the Straits Times nor the Business Times in Singapore in today's edition chose not to write about the planned cancellation of the a345 flights, instead, focusing on the good news "growth" angle.

I can't help but be cynical about how bias the local press can be with some entities. Granted they did say that SQ's business was tough, etc, but the removal of the ULH flights is big news to the financial markets in more ways than one.

Perhaps, yesterday's quote was a slip of the tongue and the CEO didn't quite mean what he said about the 345s?! An April Fool's joke in the wrong month, yeah??

Comment

Working...
                              X