No announcement yet.

Electronics as checked in baggage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see. It would be great if the 27" Dell did not have such a big box (though it's very safe). The thing is it won't be going into my baggage. It's gonna be checked in as it is (original box).

I really hope i can bring it with me though.

Comment

TS,

Spare yourself some headache and don't bring the monitor there. It just does not add up. Buy a 15" Lappie in SIN / Kuching, carry it to UK and just buy a decent monitor in UK. Sure its more expensive, but it does not make sense to save that money when you are risking so many things...
      Life's A Bitch,
      Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwiboy View Post
        I see. It would be great if the 27" Dell did not have such a big box (though it's very safe). The thing is it won't be going into my baggage. It's gonna be checked in as it is (original box).

I really hope i can bring it with me though.
        Kyo says it's not weight but bulk. Funny, with a computer monitor, I was gonna say it's not bulk but weight. I've done bulky items checked in (computers in original packaging) that I would personally feel comfortable checking in a computer monitor in its original packaging. Still falls within what has been acceptable in my experience. In fact, when I have purchased a computer monitor from Dell or wherever, the monitor arrives via next day air (this is in the US), so it's not like its obviously too large for an aircraft. And these days Tumi makes luggage so huge, you could fit a computer monitor with packaging inside. However, Kyo's "Love Sacs" are apparently really huge, but I'm not gonna touch that with a 20 foot pole.

If it goes over the weight limit, they might ask you to pay, but the person helping you can also waive the fee if he/she feels like it. In my experience, you have a good chance of avoiding any fees if a) you are nice to the guy (you should be anyways) and b) mention something about you are a poor student to give the guy a good reason to waive any additional fees.

Comment

Do you know how big a 27" Dell monitor box is, Short Final?

I tried a Google Images search, and couldn't find a decent one that shows the bulkiness comparison properly, didn't do a search for the dimensions either

(and I threw my box away 4 months ago)

Comment

I reckon its probably about the size of a 27" check-in bag. A bit thicker as well.

Comment

SQ.com: "Sum of length, width, height of each piece not exceeding 158cm (62in)"

Dimensions lifted from Amazon:
              29.2 x 9.9 x 23 inches (total 62.1") ; 30.6 pounds (13.8799kg)

The dimensions would *just* manage to fit, if it's in the 2711W box. The boxes I had were for a 2707WFP, and a 2709WFP.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post

The dimensions would *just* manage to fit, if it's in the 2711W box. The boxes I had were for a 2707WFP, and a 2709WFP.
                I haven't thrown my U2711 box away, so I took to it with a tape measure, rounding up to the nearest 5mm increment.

Total = 156 cm, just scraping in below the maximum.

Comment

Thanks SQ228, that settles it then. Now it's up to the OP to decide if he'll still check it in with that many hops.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post

Hi Kyo, yes I am generally aware of the size of a 27" wide screen monitor in packaging. That's what I use myself, right at this moment, ViewSonic brand.

As I said, I would feel comfortable given the bulky stuff I've checked in before. And coz of the huge Tumi suitcases I've seen checked in without any issue. But now that you've done the research, I would certainly feel 100% comfortable if the box also happens to fit within SQ's own rules, as you say.

I have to say I have never seen SQ staff pull out ruler or tape to enforce this rule. Doesn't mean that they will never try to enforce, but if you've got the rules going for you, then you should still be golden even if they do try to throw the book at you.

As I had alluded to, Tumi makes some very large suitcases and in my experience SQ doesn't seem to ever bat an eye to those. I see them as checked luggage all the time. My mother has one of the largest ones and I went ahead and looked up the measurements. 32" x 20" x 12.75", totalling 64.75" or ~165 cm.

http://www.tumi.com/product/index.js...ndSrc=paramNav

And whenever I go on a ski vacation, I check in my snowboard and the board itself is already 164 cm in just its length, never mind the width or height and also the extra bulk of the snowboard bag it is packed in. Never had a problem with SQs luggage measurement policy.
                    Last edited by Short Final; 12 September 2012, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Errrr...... I have seen those from the Indian sub continent checking in 42' color TVs.....
                      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                        Errrr...... I have seen those from the Indian sub continent checking in 42' color TVs.....
                        Awesome...

Comment

Working...
                        X