A Great Way to Fly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My two cents worth of personal experience:

SQ policymakers suck. At least for the 10-flights-or-so-per-year customer like me. I do not feel treasured. The FFP is not very generous.

The website is annoying and almost all my flights required making a call to solve something.

But the inflight service is still one of the best. Sure, there are indifferent crews and the standard could be more consistent. Overall, I have been treated well and just a few days ago, I flew Y and was apprehensive since I was a bit spoilt travelling primarily in C.

The crew was really good, and one of the stewards even made the effort to remember my name and my preferred drink, topping up without asking. When I asked for the Straits Times, another crew member offered me back issues as well - again without asking (something I expected only in J).

I have occasionally flown CX, MH and TG and had decent experiences but overall, they do not quite measure up to SQ - at least not for me.

Comment

Agree on all counts.

The FFP may not be the most generous but it is still far from the worst. Wait till you have Jet Airways - I don't see how I can redeem anything more than 1 premium seat, even then the only redeemable seat is only for the domestic flights. And if I use them on their partners, the miles are non refundable and non changeable-truly gross. That's the programme I hate the most.

At least for SQ, we can clinch 2 F seats easily to many destinations including their furthest: GRU, IAH, SFO. SQ's earning rate for premium classes is pretty subpar but it doesn't matter. These days, the credit cards are so much more powerful as miles generators. 7 figures are reachable without needing to fly.

SQ's reservations and revenue management departments are also quite flexible and have been bending over to a few of my rather 'out-of-their-books' demands on some redemption tickets:fee waivers, validity extensions, dropping sectors, etc.

I would say I am overall happy with SQ - except for the stupid website. Why on earth did they pull down the functioning old one with this current one. I hate it to this day.

Having said all that, I do think that there has been a drop in quality (esp on ground and though less noticeable, in the air too) in the last 2 years. Complaints don't get addressed within 3 days, retroactive mileage claims take weeks if processed at all, longer queues on the phone at times, and some crew teams do not engage at all, quality of J food has also gone down. But other airlines do not fare much better.
      Last edited by SQueeze; 23 June 2012, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X