SQ 318 26th Apr A380 Turn Back to Changi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
    Just count those incidents reported in varies forum.
    Guess airline and Air Bus will know this number best.
    THAT is your data source

No need to guess. Airline and Manufacturer will have the ACTUAL number

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
      THAT is your data source

C'mon..... It gives people who post incomplete sentences all day in forums the hope that they may actually be contributing to official statistics!

Comment

Originally posted by coldastone72 View Post
        '

Why complain? Then dont fly the A380..nobody force you right? Typical...
        May be this is why SQ is not #1 for a few years already?
        Why do SQ fly A380? New first class (suite), new Business class etc.
        Why do SQ setup another company call Scoot to capture those budget customer? If all these are not important, then they should not be SilkAir, Scoot. Just be a one company with one service standard!

But then, what makes the different between SQ vs TG/MAS/CX etc?

Comment

Deleted...
          Last edited by viraj735; 1 May 2012, 06:16 AM.
          The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Back to the original topic - I'm very interested in the bang that was heard onboard followed by a loss of key avionics. There's something super fishy about the 'turbulence' report.

Would love to know what really happened. Anyone know if CAAS are investigating, or in terms of actually finding out what happened if Airbus are involved?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
              THAT is your data source

This is why Airbus chairman say they screw it up during one of the press release !

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
                This is why Airbus chairman say they screw it up during one of the press release !
                Dear cscs1956, I am not trying to be sarcastic or trying to put you down. I do have a problem trying to understand what you are trying to convey or to work my way through your grammar. As a friendly note, better to write slowly, work through the logic slowly and reread through what you have written down before posting. Perhaps you should use MS Words to assist you particularly when you are speed writing and then copying it onto your post. . Relax and enjoy life.
                Last edited by LionCity; 1 May 2012, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Report from Avherald.Com

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=44e957f6&opt=0

Incident: Singapore A388 over Andaman Islands on Apr 26th 2012, navigation system problems

A Singapore Airlines Airbus A380-800, registration 9V-SKQ performing flight SQ-318 from Singapore (Singapore) to London Heathrow,EN (UK), was enroute near the Andaman Islands about three hours into the flight when the crew decided to return to Singapore due to problems with the navigation systems and autopilot. The crew dumped fuel on their way back to Singapore. The aircraft landed safely back in Singapore about 6 hours after departure.

The flight is now estimated to depart Singapore with a delay of 11 hours.

Passengers reported the crew wasn't very clear in their announcements, they understood technical problems with the navigation systems that also knocked the autopilot off.

Passenger Lisa told The Aviation Herald, that she was listening to music and waiting for her meal to be served, when a loud bang was heard sounding like "like a thunder clap or a car backfiring" followed by immediate violent shaking of the aircraft spilling the drinks everywhere and banging the service carts into the seats. The shaking stopped after about 3-4 seconds and did not re-occur. Lisa, seated in the back of the cabin, had the impression the bang came from very close and her right hand side. There were no comments from any passenger regarding observations on the engines or the like. Some time later passengers at the window seats observed fuel dump had started. About 45 minutes after the bang the crew announced that some turbulence had knocked off their autopilot and they were returning to Singapore. The aircraft descended to about FL200 (editorial note: radar data showed the aircraft coming into radar range of Malaysia's Penang Airport, about 350nm northwest of Singapore, at FL210), the gear was lowered in order to burn off fuel on the way back to Singapore.

Comment

I'm interested if somebody more knowledgeable about the technical aspects of flying could give a quick description of how a fuel dump is executed. I understand why it needs to happen, but not how.

I'm assuming it always needs to be over water. Does it spray out or spurt? How would a passenger know it was happening?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                      I'm interested if somebody more knowledgeable about the technical aspects of flying could give a quick description of how a fuel dump is executed. I understand why it needs to happen, but not how.

I'm assuming it always needs to be over water. Does it spray out or spurt? How would a passenger know it was happening?

CLICK "I AGREE" TO WATCH THE VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
                      No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                      I AGREE

Comment

Originally posted by SIA5390 View Post

CLICK "I AGREE" TO WATCH THE VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
                        No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                        I AGREE

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post

Just to add on. The pilot just needs to input the remaining fuel he needs and the system would automatically the order in which the fuel would be jettisoned. Armed and select jettison and off the fuel goes. And the fuel would evaporate in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
                            And the fuel would evaporate in the air.
                            Breaks my heart to see thousands upon thousands of dollars worth disappear ...

Comment

Very instructive. Thanks guys!

I had forgotten about evaporation- just had these bizarre mental images of aviation fuel forming a little rain shower on some poor unsuspecting village below...

Whatever happened on SKQ doesn't seem to have taken it out of service for long, although it seems to have been doing a lot of daily runs to Sydney ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                                Breaks my heart to see thousands upon thousands of dollars worth disappear ...
                                You are right. But may be the delay and compensation to passengers is also a big sum of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X