[Revised title] Additional MI flights to complement SQ HAN flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Desert Traveller View Post

All the majors in Europe and North America operate similarly. Sometimes with a more integrated approach (LH CityLine), sometimes with a less integrated approach (Germanwings).
    Disagree. United Express is * Alliance, American Eagle flights are oneworld, Delta Connection is skyteam. KLM cityhopper is in skyteam as are the Air France regionals, Lufthansa regionals (germanwings is a LCC and can only be compared to SQ and Tiger)... the list goes on.

SilkAir should be in Star alliance, as it stands now if I book a flight with Singapore Airlines ex-MEL to Penang I have a silkair flight ex-SIN and with Star alliance gold I do not have lounge access for the transit in SIN, only for the flight ex-MEL. Utterly ridiculous.
    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Regarding your first point, isn't that exactly what SQ is doing? They are adding additional capacity and frequency with smaller aircraft. Not SQ branded, but for all intents and purposes other than *A, MI is SQ.

Well in my opinion, MI is NOT SQ even you exclude the *A equation. If it is then why bother to have 2 separate brands.

Some people does not clock into SQ KF but to other *A program. In this case it will not make any different to fly MI or LCCI coz you cannot clock mileage anyway to your *A.

So to me either SQ should merge MI back or like someone said bring MI as part as *A, like CX did with KA
      visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
        Disagree. United Express is * Alliance, American Eagle flights are oneworld, Delta Connection is skyteam. KLM cityhopper is in skyteam as are the Air France regionals, Lufthansa regionals (germanwings is a LCC and can only be compared to SQ and Tiger)... the list goes on.

SilkAir should be in Star alliance, as it stands now if I book a flight with Singapore Airlines ex-MEL to Penang I have a silkair flight ex-SIN and with Star alliance gold I do not have lounge access for the transit in SIN, only for the flight ex-MEL. Utterly ridiculous.
        Well, LH has been integrating Germanwings more and more in the past two years...but not the extent of the other regional subsidiaries.

Lufthansa and Germanwings plan extensive cooperation with numerous benefits for customers

Closer cooperation between Lufthansa and Germanwings

CA and ZH have a similar arrangement although CA are now planning to bring ZH into *A.

Regarding lounge access on MI, if you want it, you can always buy a fare or go for status with a FFP that grants you access. You will have the same issue with a codeshare on a non-*A partner.
        As a customer, you can vote with your feet. If you want to get to Penang on *A, you gotta take TG.

In the end, it's SQ's business and they can run it how they see fit. It's not an entirely unique arrangement and their approach has been one of the more successful ones in the industry.
        /Desert Traveller

Comment

Regarding lounge access on MI, if you want it, you can always buy a fare or go for status with a FFP that grants you access. You will have the same issue with a codeshare on a non-*A partner.
          As a customer, you can vote with your feet. If you want to get to Penang on *A, you gotta take TG.

In the end, it's SQ's business and they can run it how they see fit. It's not an entirely unique arrangement and their approach has been one of the more successful ones in the industry.
          Indeed they can and I certainly would not fly with SQ to Penang anymore due to this very issue. It is a silly situation, whatever you might say.
          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
            Indeed they can and I certainly would not fly with SQ to Penang anymore due to this very issue. It is a silly situation, whatever you might say.
            +1. sqdazz i have some opinion with you. Of course SQ can do whatever they want to do. But as their shareholder I am sooo piss with their arrogant attitude and not trying to make sense what is happening!
            visit my blog

Comment

whats the implication for the new MI flights?
              why dint SQ introduces its own flights?
              does SQ plans to give up SQ176/5 to MI in the future?

i took 175/6 during the new year. seems many are transit passengers to indonesia and johor. capacity near full

Comment

Originally posted by choonhong View Post
                whats the implication for the new MI flights?
                why dint SQ introduces its own flights?
                does SQ plans to give up SQ176/5 to MI in the future?
                The new MI flights will offer an extra option for people heading to HAN. SQ probably didn't feel comfortable with the extra load to consider introducing its own flights. MI, with a smaller aircraft, is probably more likely to get filled than the B772. I seriously doubt SQ will be giving HAN up, given the load you mention. Besides, I suspect MI will probably be there for reasons other than commercial (building up the loads and slots management).

From what I've heard, more of such arrangements are installed for the future, i.e. MI/SQ adding on to SQ/MI network. Recently, it may have been all MI (CCU and now, HAN), but the reverse arrangement is also likely to be coming. Wait for it. Akan Datang.
                Last edited by floppy; 14 April 2012, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by floppy View Post
                  From what I've heard, more of such arrangements are installed for the future, i.e. MI/SQ adding on to SQ/MI network. Recently, it may have been all MI (CCU and now, HAN), but the reverse arrangement is also likely to be coming. Wait for it. Akan Datang.
                  If they are going to do this, then MI better improve its product. Currently, MI's inflight product is sorely lacking behind SQ, with poorer meals, lack of amenities and no IFE (silent Mr Bean shows and Tom&Jerry cartoons are not considered proper IFE), when some of MI's flights can be as long as 5hrs! Would not sit very well with pax if they would to pay a similar price as SQ but end up on a MI-operated flight.
                  My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                    If they are going to do this, then MI better improve its product. Currently, MI's inflight product is sorely lacking behind SQ, with poorer meals, lack of amenities and no IFE (silent Mr Bean shows and Tom&Jerry cartoons are not considered proper IFE), when some of MI's flights can be as long as 5hrs! Would not sit very well with pax if they would to pay a similar price as SQ but end up on a MI-operated flight.

Hope they get going on improving asap , especially for those used on longer flights .. Almost becoming like budget airline or like that provided by similar ( jetstar business ? Heard others raving & even air asia bus fr LON )

Comment

I am fine with MI. The seats are quite spacious and recline properly unlike budget airlines' often pre-reclined seat (like 3K's super straight super stiff seats). And there are food and drinks. The IFE is bad, but we have iPads these days. Still wayyyyy better than budget airlines.

On Bangalore flights, will pick MI over even SQ anytime to avoid SQ's dreadful 4 hour red eyes. They cost the same. But I don't see what's so great about SQ Y either. As long as I get full miles out of the MI flights, am not complaining the equal prices.

For Hanoi, I don't see what is so great about SQ Y and J deployed there. Fine if MI and SQ charge the same as long as miles awarded are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                        I am fine with MI. The seats are quite spacious and recline properly unlike budget airlines' often pre-reclined seat (like 3K's super straight super stiff seats). And there are food and drinks. The IFE is bad, but we have iPads these days. Still wayyyyy better than budget airlines.

On Bangalore flights, will pick MI over even SQ anytime to avoid SQ's dreadful 4 hour red eyes. They cost the same. But I don't see what's so great about SQ Y either. As long as I get full miles out of the MI flights, am not complaining the equal prices.

For Hanoi, I don't see what is so great about SQ Y and J deployed there. Fine if MI and SQ charge the same as long as miles awarded are the same.
                        Well that just shows you're completely ignoring the annoying fact that MI isn't part of *A.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                          Well that just shows you're completely ignoring the annoying fact that MI isn't part of *A.
                          Well, true. Because I am not with * partner program so it doesn't annoy me.

My post was replying to post 23 onwards about pax not being happy paying SQ prices for MI flights. I am one of those who will happily take MI any time if the schedule is better than SQ.
                          Last edited by SQueeze; 15 April 2012, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                            My post was replying to post 23 onwards about pax not being happy paying SQ prices for MI flights. I am one of those who will happily take MI any time if the schedule is better than SQ.
                            In YCL, KF members might be willing to pay for the (similar) product of MI if the price is the same and they can earn miles. But in JCL, the finesse of the MI FAs is a significant notch lower than that of the SQ FAs.

For example, I know of travellers whose final destination is SZX, but chose to travel on SQ to HKG. Aside from the frequency of flights being one of the reasons, service standards might be the other.

Comment

Working...
                            X