Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can Silkair fly to more holiday islands in SEA ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can Silkair fly to more holiday islands in SEA ??

I would like to see Silkair buy a few ATR 72-500 or Bombardier Dash8-400 turboprops and start flying to more holiday islands that have an airport with short runway inside SEA region.

For example below :

- Krabi (KBV)
    - Redang Island (RDN)
    - Boracay - Caticlan (MPH)
    - Pulau Tioman (TOD)
    - Christmas Island (XCH)
    - Please do help to add on to this list

It is great now that Silkair have commence flights to Koh Samui and i still think that more can be done

Doesn't AK have Krabi flights? That means the runway is indeed long enough for the A320.

Comment

Almost none of those could justify MI seriously considering them as future routes (perhaps with the exception of Krabi), certainly not daily flights.

Would like to see a direct SIN-Boracay also, but probably will require a Tiger flight of some sort to have chance. Isn't Boracay the one with the pitiful runway at that airport nearby that led to the Zest Air crash?

Comment

more popular holiday islands will be Krabi, Boracay and Redang for Singaporeans...

will operating a fleet of turboprops be cheaper for Silkair compared to their current fleet of A320s ??

lastly i would like to see Singapore Airlines offer direct flights to more exotic holiday islands like Maldives (before they sink), Mauritius, Guam, Saipan, Okinawa, Fiji, Hawaii and etc....

Comment

Singapore Airlines *DO* offer direct flights (in fact, twice daily) to the Maldives... and I think quite a few of us have paid MLE a visit for one reason or another...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            Singapore Airlines *DO* offer direct flights (in fact, twice daily) to the Maldives... and I think quite a few of us have paid MLE a visit for one reason or another...
            sorry my bad bro.. SQ do provide direct flights to Maldives now...thanks for pointing out bro...

Comment

SilkAir used to fly to Krabi, 4x weekly. Unfortunately, it got axed in 2005.

I agree with Kyo - I doubt any of the other destinations (with the exception of Boracay once its airport upgrading to handle jet aircraft is completed) can be considered as a viable (i.e. profitable and sustainable) destination

Comment

Originally posted by hguo83 View Post
                I would like to see Silkair buy a few ATR 72-500 or Bombardier Dash8-400 turboprops and start flying to more holiday islands that have an airport with short runway inside SEA region.

- Christmas Island (XCH)
                They used to fly to Christmas Island, didn't they ?. Be handy if they did as it saves schlepping down to PER just to come most of the way back up and down again to get there.

Comment

Luang Prabang on my wish list

Comment

The next larger airport after Caticlan that can take A320 aircrafts is Kalibo... which is about 2-hrs (I think?) away by road.

Comment

Not just the "sun" destinations, but my feel is that a turboprop will help open up heaps of secondary destinations in the region or at least allow increased frequencies. What about Ipoh, Kuala Trengganu, Kuantan, Sibu, Vientiene etc, I am sure there is a market for these and perhaps increased frequencies to K Kinabalu, Kuching, Chiang Mai. Some of these destinations which Silkair flies less than a daily frequency to.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                        Luang Prabang on my wish list
                        Yes bro

I am waiting for Nha Trang - Cam Ranh International Airport (CXR), Hua Hin (HHQ) and also Hainan - Sanya Phoenix International Airport (SYX) too.

I am wondering why SQ and MI don't like to fly to most island destinations where alot of holiday makers and honeymooners like to go to...

Singapore should do our part in helping open up the tourism markets in SEA countries as we are all part of the ASEAN and alot of foreigners uses Singapore as their main hub for their holiday travels in the SEA region.

I am not a expert in airplanes and i feel that turboprop planes will be more cost-effective and fuel-saving for flying to airports in and around SEA region but the drawback is that they fly slower then normal jet-powered planes...

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                          They used to fly to Christmas Island, didn't they ?. Be handy if they did as it saves schlepping down to PER just to come most of the way back up and down again to get there.
                          Would be interesting but I really can't see the demand there. Maybe I'm wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Airtropolis View Post
                            Not just the "sun" destinations, but my feel is that a turboprop will help open up heaps of secondary destinations in the region or at least allow increased frequencies. What about Ipoh, Kuala Trengganu, Kuantan, Sibu, Vientiene etc, I am sure there is a market for these and perhaps increased frequencies to K Kinabalu, Kuching, Chiang Mai. Some of these destinations which Silkair flies less than a daily frequency to.
                            I doubt Ipoh, Kuala Trengganu, etc and destinations served by turboprop operations are the type of markets that SilkAir is after.

To increase frequency and to inject capacity in any particular route will depend on the demand and sustainability (aka profitability). I'm not sure Kuching and Chiang Mai have the demand to meet SilkAir's asking price all year round to necessitate a daily flight.

Comment

Originally posted by floppy View Post
                              I doubt Ipoh, Kuala Trengganu, etc and destinations served by turboprop operations are the type of markets that SilkAir is after.

To increase frequency and to inject capacity in any particular route will depend on the demand and sustainability (aka profitability). I'm not sure Kuching and Chiang Mai have the demand to meet SilkAir's asking price all year round to necessitate a daily flight.
                              Definitely not enough demand for KCH to justify a daily flight especially when it is already being served daily by AK, MH and TR.

Comment

Working...
                              X