Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ's lost mojo - overdue for a good rant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
    Really? I was at TG flight from BKK-SIN and the FA was still busy fixing the galley when the plan was already descending to Changi. He barely made it to his crew seat, just few minutes before the plane wheels hits the ground.

I saw this on other TG flight but not as bad as this. Also CX crew still busy in galley when flight is already aiming for run way. I am thinking what happen if they cannot make it?

Never see this on SQ flight thought. May be coz I only o SIN-TPE on SQ which is longer flight
    good - means they are working the whole flight, unlike SQ who start packing up 10 minutes before descent begins. Ive had my headset snatched off me a full 20 minutes before top of descent on SQ.
    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
      good - means they are working the whole flight, unlike SQ who start packing up 10 minutes before descent begins. Ive had my headset snatched off me a full 20 minutes before top of descent on SQ.
      Hahaha i know SQ crew will take your headseat when the captain announce they are descending, which sometimes quite annoying.

My q is what happen if he cannot make it?
      visit my blog

Comment

Hahaha i know SQ crew will take your headseat when the captain announce they are descending, which sometimes quite annoying.

Think they will remind you not to use it. TG is this espect, never need to collect back as they are to give it away (may be for 1 time use?)

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
          The standard varies. In some case, headset is collected but video system continue to work till about touch down. For recent SQ979 case. The video system was off soon after decent is announced (about 30 mn to destination). But headset was collected just before landing (in a rush).

Comment

That's one reason, why I bring my own!

Comment

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
              That's one reason, why I bring my own!
              I think u guys got my q wrong. I was referring to the work in galley not collecting the headset.

It referred back to the situation where the FA still busy in galley and only went to his seat like 2 min before the wheel touch the ground. So my q is what happen if he did not finish the galley work ontime?
              visit my blog

Comment

I think u guys got my q wrong. I was referring to the work in galley not collecting the headset.

It referred back to the situation where the FA still busy in galley and only went to his seat like 2 min before the wheel touch the ground. So my q is what happen if he did not finish the galley work ontime?
                I don't think you need to worry about this as on my past flights on TG, the pilot will "ding" the cabin when the gears are lowered, signalling for the crew to be seated, which is normally just a few minutes before touchdown. Common to see TG crew to proceed to their seats just a couple to minutes to touchdown, unlike SQ where the crew can be seated 10-20min before landing.

And for the FA busy in the galley, he was probably preparing for the return flight back to BKK, such as heating the meals for the next sector.
                My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

• Having to remind service people about things is annoying indeed, particularly food.

Short of being invited to sit in during internal investigations, what else can be done to apologise for poor service or systems? If monetary compensation is insufficient, how much is expected for such a misdeed?

Collection of headsets is an activity that is highly unproductive.

It is a safety guideline ( note=guideline ) that headsets are to be distributed AFTER take off. That was way back in the 1990 and earlier. The reasons were that the crew should not be walking around the cabin during taxing, least they fall due to sudden braking etc.

But the advent of Business class travel and the demanding nature of the market, influenced the people who had the authority to change the rules.Overnight, headsets could be "placed" in the seat pockets prior to boarding.

Passengers could unpack them, plug them in and listen to music (depending on aircraft type). If the lengths of wires are a saftey issue during landing, or top of descent, they would be a safety issue for take off too.

Collection of headsets is an activity that company executives could solve easily, thus allowing passengers to enjoy more audio time. In SQ's case, under the guise of " ...cabin crew prepare for arrival.." the crew are thrust into a high gear... 20 mins before touch down. No time to talk to you, explain things in a nice way... purely work and production orientated.

I too, bring my own!

Comment

• I appreciate your insights from the other side of the aisle Inflight Sup

Comment

• Originally posted by Inflight Sup View Post
                      Overnight, headsets could be "placed" in the seat pockets prior to boarding.
                      Ah! Now, I know why sometimes I see the headset, and sometimes I don't!

Of course, the FA will still remind us to unplug our earphones during take-off and landing to ensure we hear any PA.

Comment

• Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                        Maybe TG have more FA onboard
                        Then maybe SQ needs to have more FAs onboard also?

Having said that, I had a superb flight on Saturday on SQ979 BKK-SIN. The CS, a Mr NH, reminded me of the real 'romance of travel' and he possessed the type of SQ charisma I find sorely lacking nowadays more and more. Kudos to him - he was chatting with all the pax up and down in a polite way, assisting with towel distribution/collection, he even handed out newspapers individually to EVERY pax before they even boarded the plane at the aerobridge! NOW THAT'S SOMETHING!

On SIN-SGN last Weds on SQ172, the FSS was utterly pathetic. Deliberately just looked at the towels she left behind after distribution and decided to ignore them for the rest of the flight for the front five rows on the left side (I was in 34A). I purposely positioned it in such a way on the meal tray when it came time to clean the trays so as not to be missed, but there was simply no reaction. The other pax who didn't bother/think to clear the towel with the meal trays left it in the seat pocket netting whilst looking at my now-empty netting (the ones next to the video screen).

Just wish for two 'hits' in a row but of late, it's one hit and one miss for most of my flights on SQ. Well, I have nothing but 12 flights in a row on other carriers in the coming 6 weeks, and we'll soon see how that turns out!

Comment

• Warning! Politically incorrect post ahead. Don't read if you're easily offended.
                          Has anyone else noticed how big the cabin crew are getting nowadays? I've had two LSS in my last 2 flights for whom I would have given up my seat if I'd seen them standing in the MRT or bus*. Obviously, the old uniform rules have been relaxed.

*Yes, I know it has no relevance to their ability to deliver great service. Its just an observation. Get over it.

Comment

• headset

I cannot figure why they have to collect the headsets a full 20 minutes before landing, as they will demand you give up the head set even though the video is still playing.
                            One nice feature on Emirates and I wish SQwould adapt , is once you board
                            the videos are playing with a headset in your seat,so even if your sitting on te ground for 45 minuets while they are boarding etc you can watch or listen to music and the system will stay on all the way to landing and to the gate

Comment

• Originally posted by motodave View Post
                              I cannot figure why they have to collect the headsets a full 20 minutes before landing, as they will demand you give up the head set even though the video is still playing.
                              One nice feature on Emirates and I wish SQwould adapt , is once you board
                              the videos are playing with a headset in your seat,so even if your sitting on te ground for 45 minuets while they are boarding etc you can watch or listen to music and the system will stay on all the way to landing and to the gate
                              Air New Zealand promote 'gate to gate' entertainment too. And in business class you can even keep your seat in a reclined mode (herringbone pods). Ahhhhhh, so nice!
                              My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• Gate to gate IFE. The one thing SQ can do to improve my in flight experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X