Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ's lost mojo - overdue for a good rant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
    I disagree. IME The SQ crew have always managed to serve everyone with a smile, albeit in a rush.
    That is the problem. SQ crew always seemed to be rushing on these short flights while on TG, the service felt so much more relaxed. Guess this is due to the different service procedures.

Just a personal opinion...
    Last edited by ycp81; 23 March 2012, 07:57 PM.
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

• I was on BKK-SIN in Y about 2 months ago. The flight was packed... and meal service came, and I wolfed it down quickly and promptly fell asleep. When I woke up after being woken by the captain's announcement of "Cabin Crew - Prepare for Arrival ".. I suddenly saw that the rows ahead of me were just being served their main course !!

Upon arrival, I asked the IFS what the problem was.. and he said that the entire party of about 20 people were Turkish going onto Istanbul. They couldn't eat the meal offered as by the time the trolley got to them, it had ran out of chicken and only pork was offered. So the cabin crew had to rush around and find them something to eat... and they did so with reheating etc...

So it could be that other passengers were holding the queue up...! It is not not like SQ to forget a meal.. but rather just demanding passengers wanting something they did not do themselves (eg order special meal) and that impacted everyone else on board.

Comment

• Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
        That is the problem. SQ crew always seemed to be rushing on these short flights while on TG, the service felt so much more relaxed. Guess this is due to the different service procedures.
        SQ crew tend to prepare the cabin for arrival (thus suspending all service) right after the pilots announce the aircraft's descent whereas TG tend to start much later; this gives the crew more time to conduct their service. 15 minutes can make a difference when the flying time is just short of 2 hours.
        The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Fly TG to Bkk in the future. Their crew can serve a full meal and bar service effortlessly even on a full flight on the short 2hrs sector. SQ crew always struggle on these short flights.
          So effortlessly to the point that service was non existant and my meal order wasn't taken.

This wasn't a one off thing. All my TG sectors SIN-BKK vv have been disappointing.

But for the amount I paid.... I'm not complaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick C View Post
            So effortlessly to the point that service was non existant and my meal order wasn't taken.

This wasn't a one off thing. All my TG sectors SIN-BKK vv have been disappointing.

But for the amount I paid.... I'm not complaining.
            Seems like I am lucky with TG so far, only a bad flight (BKK-LHR sector due to a really unfriendly crew on my aisle) out of the 8 flights I did on them in economy in the past 3 yrs. Had a really good BKK-SIN flight with a really awesome set of crew once with the rest being average to above average (read my previous trip reports). But with their low fares, I am definitely not complaining too!

My Travel Map

Comment

Is not on all flights. On some of these short flight, you may see some crew (group) is more prepared then others, Example, headphone already in your seat pocket vs giving it after take off. You are right on TG, my impression is they are slow. But for some reason, I am yet to missed any meals from them.

I travelled this route almost once every 2 weeks with mixture of SQ and TG.

Hope SQ can claim back their #1 in services (or at least not dropping further). Have not hear them on #1 for many years already. Not sure how do SQ management feels?
              Last edited by cscs1956; 23 March 2012, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
                SQ crew tend to prepare the cabin for arrival (thus suspending all service) right after the pilots announce the aircraft's descent whereas TG tend to start much later; this gives the crew more time to conduct their service. 15 minutes can make a difference when the flying time is just short of 2 hours.
                SQ crew friends on mine who had flown TG on the SIN-BKK vv sectors also admitted that TG's service procedures on the short flight felt much more organized than SQ's and were amazed at how the TG crew can complete the entire meal with full bar service + another round of coffee/tea service in 30min flat. SQ should review their service procedures on these short sectors as the current meal service really take ages to complete.

My Travel Map

Comment

Maybe TG have more FA onboard
                  This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

• Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
                    You said it yourself, it happened to ONE person. How are those odds? I consider it far from being a routine issue. I can tell you, the crew are extremely pressed for time on those BKK, CGK, SGN runs, especially when the flights are full. That LS may have had to deal with several issues during that flight of which yours may not have been the first priority. Ultimately, you received adequate compensation for the slip up.

As far as the reply is concerned, what do you want them to do, fly a longer route to BKK so the crew have enough time to attend to you? These things can't be helped.
                    So Beijing to Singapore is consider a short flight too ?
                    This is about care and job by proffession. Just a simple example of going to coffee shop with friends. The group order some mixtures of coffee/tea and something else. Some will remember but some will come back and ask you what was the order, some may gave you a wrong one but you will get a replacement. Serveral kind of standard, so it depend on which standard you think SQ should fit in to make them different from others.

Comment

SQ crew friends on mine who had flown TG on the SIN-BKK vv sectors also admitted that TG's service procedures on the short flight felt much more organized than SQ's and were amazed at how the TG crew can complete the entire meal with full bar service + another round of coffee/tea service in 30min flat. SQ should review their service procedures on these short sectors as the current meal service really take ages to complete.
                      I have to agree, Thai are far more efficient and offer more food and more drink options. God help you if you ask for a singapore sling in Y on a full BKK/SIN flight on SQ. Expect a nasty glare!
                      My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                        I have to agree, Thai are far more efficient and offer more food and more drink options. God help you if you ask for a singapore sling in Y on a full BKK/SIN flight on SQ. Expect a nasty glare!
                        I received the "glare" a few years back from a SQ stewardess on a HKG-SIN sector for ordering a Singapore Sling too
                        Caused me to have a "phobia" of ordering "special" drinks on SQ flights unless the bar cart is rolled out

My Travel Map

Comment

• Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                          I was on BKK-SIN in Y about 2 months ago. The flight was packed... and meal service came, and I wolfed it down quickly and promptly fell asleep. When I woke up after being woken by the captain's announcement of "Cabin Crew - Prepare for Arrival ".. I suddenly saw that the rows ahead of me were just being served their main course !!

Upon arrival, I asked the IFS what the problem was.. and he said that the entire party of about 20 people were Turkish going onto Istanbul. They couldn't eat the meal offered as by the time the trolley got to them, it had ran out of chicken and only pork was offered. So the cabin crew had to rush around and find them something to eat... and they did so with reheating etc...

So it could be that other passengers were holding the queue up...! It is not not like SQ to forget a meal.. but rather just demanding passengers wanting something they did not do themselves (eg order special meal) and that impacted everyone else on board.
                          Not sure if crew member is trained for this kind of situation during their training?
                          Unfortunally, this was not the case of my SQ979. 2 seats behind on the windows side (English couple get their bear, coffee without problem anyway). Our row is neither the first or last to be served. Something must have gone wrong to the crew even after 4 reminder. If my choice of food is not available, she should be able to offer a change after 1st or 2nd reminder. This is why I think someone need to investigate and improve on it.

While I like the compensation, but I think this is a wrong way to handle issues. Indirectly, it create a ideal that we should complain on anything we does not like or does not get, and hope to get compensatin later! If this happen to US airlines, you can actually request for a portion of airfare for refund. This happen to the flight I took on AA about 20 years back, for some reason they did not get enough supply of meals. AND you know what, the refund via cash is available immediately after we step out of the aircraft. Dont need to complain, dont need to write in !
                          Last edited by cscs1956; 23 March 2012, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• Did you write back to SQ and refuse the offer and instead ask them to investigate further?
                            This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

• Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                              Did you write back to SQ and refuse the offer and instead ask them to investigate further?
                              Yes, rejected. I need a better answer after 4 reminder and inform me I have enough time to finished my meal when captain has made the announcement. (in other section, some crew member already giving back the jacket to passenger).

I disagreed SQ should take this as one off and get away easily without a good investigation. If this is staff capability/attitude/crew team work problem, they now have Scoot to send them too where passenger should lower their demand.

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                                Really? I was at TG flight from BKK-SIN and the FA was still busy fixing the galley when the plan was already descending to Changi. He barely made it to his crew seat, just few minutes before the plane wheels hits the ground.

I saw this on other TG flight but not as bad as this. Also CX crew still busy in galley when flight is already aiming for run way. I am thinking what happen if they cannot make it?

Never see this on SQ flight thought. May be coz I only o SIN-TPE on SQ which is longer flight
                                visit my blog

Comment

Working...
                                X