Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ's lost mojo - overdue for a good rant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
    But... people still fly them and SQ will still make money. They don't f&*%$ care. Not unless another SARS outbreak hits Singapore.
    Yes, but nothing lasts forever. A brand must be nurtured not abused to survive? Corporates are also cutting back and, if EK?QR?EH etc can provide the same quality J Class as SQ at half the price, then Corporate Travel mangers will, and are, reduce(ing) travel costs in favour of other carriers?
    Round the Moon. And Back

Comment

well yields have already fallen and SQ's profits have been below expectations for the last two quarters - but of course SQ blamed it on high fuel costs - but other carriers like CX seems to be doing much better.

Comment

can't even get a shower in SIN in Y class anymore! bah!
        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by flymeroundthemoon View Post
          Yes, but nothing lasts forever. A brand must be nurtured not abused to survive? Corporates are also cutting back and, if EK?QR?EH etc can provide the same quality J Class as SQ at half the price, then Corporate Travel mangers will, and are, reduce(ing) travel costs in favour of other carriers?
          To me, SQ's brand is so established that I feel more proud to tell people "I flew here on SQ" rather than say Etihad or Qatar.

I still know of many major companies that still send their employees on SQ. Sure, EK might charge much less, but for the forseeable future, I don't see SQ's premium demand drying up.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
            To me, SQ's brand is so established that I feel more proud to tell people "I flew here on SQ" rather than say Etihad or Qatar.
            i think the SQ brand is still quite strong. Many people complain. But put a side the money, I can bet people is still to choose flying SQ.

Especially our southern neighbour, like SilverChris said, it is more about proudness. If you fly SQ, you fly with a class. Etihad or Qatar or any middle eastern carrier is more like carrying the domestic workers Many be our Indonesian member can verify if this is still the case now
            visit my blog

Comment

I still know of many major companies that still send their employees on SQ.
              Mine don't , have to fly on QF to Oz for my working trip next week as SQ is almost $400 more expensive in economy! For that price difference, my employer could not justify me flying SQ over QF.

Looking on the good side, I will be flying QF's A380 on the way back
              My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                Mine don't , have to fly on QF to Oz for my working trip next week as SQ is almost $400 more expensive in economy! For that price difference, my employer could not justify me flying SQ over QF.

Looking on the good side, I will be flying QF's A380 on the way back
                Hope they don't cancel their flights!

Comment

Sometimes I feel SQ is like Arsenal ( less resources, not quite the best hardware, makes money )

while the Middle Eastern carriers ( QF, EY ) are like Manchester City ( unlimited resources, the best that money can buy, lose money )

My choice of flying SQ boils down to living in its hub and superior schedule for me.
                  Last edited by 9V-SIA; 23 November 2011, 07:42 AM. Reason: EH should be EY

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                    can't even get a shower in SIN in Y class anymore! bah!
                    Can! Pay!

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
                      i think the SQ brand is still quite strong. Many people complain. But put a side the money, I can bet people is still to choose flying SQ.

Especially our southern neighbour, like SilverChris said, it is more about proudness. If you fly SQ, you fly with a class. Etihad or Qatar or any middle eastern carrier is more like carrying the domestic workers Many be our Indonesian member can verify if this is still the case now
                      nice comment , yes SQ brand is very strong here , there are a lot of ppls buys it services not worrying about money. its merely about prestige..

but for your info SQ economy , starting SQ 956 - SQ 966 always full of load of domestic workers from middle east.. the thing I dont understand , flying out from jakarta cant barely see them , it was only the inbound flight to jakarta so full of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Handiman View Post
                        nice comment , yes SQ brand is very strong here , there are a lot of ppls buys it services not worrying about money. its merely about prestige..

but for your info SQ economy , starting SQ 956 - SQ 966 always full of load of domestic workers from middle east.. the thing I dont understand , flying out from jakarta cant barely see them , it was only the inbound flight to jakarta so full of them.
                        last time when SQ still flew to SUB, I was on the flight and I heard 1 domestic worker in the flight said she rather pay more money to SQ rather than any other airlines!!!

I tried to do redemption on SIN-CGK-SIN on mid Dec. Need to wait list on the return. It is 19-Dec!
                        visit my blog

Comment

Too Proud?

I still know of many major companies that still send their employees on SQ. Sure, EK might charge much less, but for the forseeable future, I don't see SQ's premium demand drying up.
                          I actually can't remember, in all of 40 years of First and Business travel around the world that I ever once disclosed, or was even asked, in business conversations, which carrier I flew in on? My suspicion is that, other than you are an SQ shill, is that you are so full of yourself that you have lost touch with reality?

IMHO, QR?EK etc J, and especially F Class (SQ has only R on the routes I fly) is far superior. And never once have I yet had workers from the Middle East in these cabins. Mind you, I do believe that these folks are also human beings to be "Tolerated". Your arrogance preceeds you.
                          Round the Moon. And Back

Comment

I will resent this total abuse forever ...
                            Really? I hadn't noticed.

Is it the same resentment that causes you to spout off with weird attributions (SilverChris made no mention of people having to be 'tolerated' in his post) and misspelled ad hominem attacks?

My suspicion is that, other than you are an SQ shill, is that you are so full of yourself that you have lost touch with reality?

... Mind you, I do believe that these folks are also human beings to be "Tolerated". Your arrogance preceeds you.
                            'Shill'. Indeeed a delicious word to use.

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                            Without a doubt, SQ today is different than SQ back then.
                            To stay ahead as the best - as a world class brand representing Singapore to the world, I do feel that SQ needs to rethink its current strategy.
                            Well said, StarG. I wholeheartedly agree.
                            Last edited by jjpb3; 22 November 2011, 06:38 PM.
                            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I actually can't remember, in all of 40 years of First and Business travel around the world that I ever once disclosed, or was even asked, in business conversations, which carrier I flew in on? My suspicion is that, other than you are an SQ shill, is that you are so full of yourself that you have lost touch with reality?

IMHO, QR?EK etc J, and especially F Class (SQ has only R on the routes I fly) is far superior. And never once have I yet had workers from the Middle East in these cabins. Mind you, I do believe that these folks are also human beings to be "Tolerated". Your arrogance preceeds you.
                              I am sure SilverChris never intended to be that way as you mentioned. What he meant to talk was regarding branding.

Take for example, as an uninitiated tourist, which chicken rice shop would you head to if you wanted chicken rice? ChatterBox or XX Chicken Rice stall at some obscure coffeeshop?

Like it or not, there are still tons of people who would give anything to fly on SQ. Just have to look at CGK - SIN in the very recent.

And isn't not EK getting onto this marketing and branding handwagon by buying into Arsenal?
                              Last edited by SINFJ; 22 November 2011, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Makes we wonder if for 40 whole years, no-one has ever asked you what airline you've been on? Where did you fly to for the past 4 decades? Around the moon?

Comment

Working...
                                X