Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ's lost mojo - overdue for a good rant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I worry for the Singapore Girl
    Tough times, higher fuel costs and stiffer competition point to stormy skies ahead

For almost as long as I can remember, I have been in love with the Singapore Girl.

It must have begun when I was about 12, when I stepped on board an aeroplane for the very first time. It was a Singapore Airlines flight to London on one of those big, new Boeing 747s.

The friendly stewardesses in their Pierre Balmain kebayas took good care of us. They offered blankets, food and ice cream, model aeroplanes and postcards. The inflight entertainment featured the latest movies and songs, including Barry Manilow's hit at the time: Can't Smile Without You.

That was in 1978. Ever since, like many others I know, I have flown SIA almost every time, if I could help it at all.

Later, when I began travelling for work and discovered the joys of Raffles Class (now renamed to the nondescript Business Class for reasons I am unable to fathom), it reinforced my affinity for the brand. Among other things, it is hard to beat a treat of satay and champagne at 30,000 feet.

Over the last few years, my previous job with a multinational company required me to travel frequently. I have done the Changi-to-Schiphol in Amsterdam run on the older, uncomfortable Boeing 777-200s more times than I care to recall. In contrast, I relished flying to London on the Airbus 380s, with their plush leather seats that turn into what are touted as the most flat beds in the sky.

Whenever I happened to be at an airport and spotted the trademark blue and yellow logo on a plane sitting on the tarmac, I would be filled with an inexplicable joy, as if chancing upon a dear old friend.

Once, while on a month-long business trip, I was just settling into my seat on a KLM flight from New York's John F. Kennedy Airport bound for Amsterdam when I looked out the window and noticed the SIA colours on a plane parked a few gates away.

'Run, Warren, run,' the thought raced through my mind. 'You can just make it onto that SQ flight. It will take you home at last. There will be satay on board. You can pour over copies of The Straits Times. There will be warm smiles instead of a surly crew.'

But alas, as the poem goes, I knew I had places to be and promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. I closed my eyes, gripped my seat, and waited for the flight to take off.

Having experienced the inflight service on many airlines - British Airways, KLM, Lufthansa, Emirates, Swiss, Air France, Malev, Japan Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Malaysia Airlines, Continental, United, American, Delta - I found that while each had their strengths and charms, none matched SIA overall. It didn't surprise me therefore that SIA kept being voted by travellers as their favourite airline.

Sure, I had heard the frequent complaints about the relatively high prices of SQ tickets, especially when purchased in Singapore. I had reported on the industrial disputes that dogged the airline over the years, which no less than former prime minister Lee Kuan Yew had to step in to sort out.

I have also encountered instances of patchy service. While some staff go out of their way to please, others appear as if they wished they were somewhere - anywhere - else other than on that plane. Announcements on some flights, by both cabin and flight crews alike, have sometimes left me bewildered or bemused. Some struggle with English or mangle a foreign language, while others try too hard to put on posh accents.

Still, I remained loyal to the SIA brand. After all, it was a world- famous Singapore icon, with an enviable reputation for reliability and service that it mostly lived up to. I wanted it to succeed and fly high. When it did, it made me feel proud, a sentiment I am sure many Singaporeans share.

So the reports in recent months of the airline facing turbulent times have been discomfiting. SIA incurred an unexpected $38 million loss in the three months from January to March. Its earnings for the full financial year were down almost 70 per cent.

A fall in premium travel as global business prospects dim, higher oil prices and mounting competition from low-cost carriers were among the reasons cited for this decline by analysts, some of whom had dire forecasts of dark clouds and stormy skies ahead for the airline.

These have spawned a flurry of letters to The Straits Times Forum Page from readers with strong views on what needs to be done. They continue to come unabated.

All of this was brought home to me on a recent trip to Germany. I found myself seated next to a chatty American, who was also heading to Singapore. We had boarded a Lufthansa flight from Hamburg to Frankfurt at the same time.

'You connecting onto SQ?' I asked.

'Oh no,' he shot back. 'Too expensive.' Instead, he would hop on a Lufthansa flight which would leave shortly before and arrive ahead of the SQ one, and most importantly for this businessman, cost several hundred dollars less.

'I do this route several times a year. It adds up,' he said ruefully.

With his words ringing in my head, I boarded SQ325. The once-new A-380 looked a tad worse for wear, its leather seats grubby and worn. The food and wines were nothing to shout about. And as I had watched most of the movies on offer, I spent much of the flight catching up on sleep. I left the plane with a sinking feeling, almost akin to the gloom of falling out of love.

I wondered: Was this a case of plunging profits leading to corners and costs being cut to boost yields, or earnings, from each passenger? Why would anyone pay much more to fly on SQ then? Perhaps I might have been better off on the Lufthansa flight?

When I shared this experience with some friends, few seemed surprised. One had recently switched to travelling on Qatar instead. Another swore by Emirates. Both airlines offered first-rate service that rivalled - some said topped - SIA's, and for significantly less money, they insisted.

In a sense, the challenge facing SIA is a microcosm of that confronting Singapore - others have begun to do what we have done so well in past decades and are rushing up the learning curve, snapping at our heels, offering the same or more, for less. 'And at my back I always hear time's winged chariot hurrying near,' to borrow the haunting lines from Andrew Marvell's poem.

SIA's CEO Goh Choon Phong has said in a recent interview that the airline is unfazed by the heightened competition. New planes are coming and new inflight features are being worked on. He declined to give away any secrets, but I wish him well, as he has his work cut out for him.

For my money, everything turns on delivering consistently great service, right down to the little human touches that can make all the difference.

I caught a glimpse of this on a recent SQ flight to the Maldives. As I was waiting in the aisle for my turn to use the loo, two stewardesses emerged from the galley with a cake. They walked quietly up to a young couple snuggling in their seats, and whispered: 'Congratulations! We hope you enjoy your honeymoon.'

Nice little touch, I thought to myself, as I observed the newly weds' delight.

That, to me, was and perhaps always will be SIA's killer app: Finding more, and innovative, ways for the Singapore Girl to make flying fun, even memorable, all over again.

As I was stepping off the plane, someone called out: 'Thank you for flying with us, Mr Fernandez. Hope to see you again soon.'

I smiled, and thanked her. Deep down, I hoped so too

Comment

• Better be careful re-posting whole articles like this. Copyright issues. Especially if you do not give proper credit. ... unless of course you're Warren Fernandez

Comment

• How could anybody prefer to be boarding a Lufthansa flight?

Sure, I've had my issues with declining standards on SQ for the past couple of years, but after my recent experiences with LH, it reminded me why the extra cost of SQ (when it actually is higher) is worth it.

I'd actually been looking forward to trying out LH for a bit of a change, and since Germany is the country I visit most frequently and is my second language it was quite exciting to be about to try out their national carrier.

Won't be doing that again anytime soon!

Comment

• Can't argue with most of that. The one redeeming aspect of it is that he sounds, like many other long time SQ pax, that he doesn't like what he has seen happen in recent years. Don't get the LH comment though.

Originally posted by Dickson View Post
          Later, when I began travelling for work and discovered the joys of Raffles Class (now renamed to the nondescript Business Class for reasons I am unable to fathom),
          Yes, he is far from alone in being unable to work that one out.

One of a number of baffling decisions made in the latter years of Chew's tenure.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
            How could anybody prefer to be boarding a Lufthansa flight?

Sure, I've had my issues with declining standards on SQ for the past couple of years, but after my recent experiences with LH, it reminded me why the extra cost of SQ (when it actually is higher) is worth it.

I'd actually been looking forward to trying out LH for a bit of a change, and since Germany is the country I visit most frequently and is my second language it was quite exciting to be about to try out their national carrier.

Won't be doing that again anytime soon!
            Well, everyone has different preference. The question then become the extra that you have paid for get you exactly what you want in proportion? For a short flight, I bet you may not notice a different vs a long hour flight.

But then, if you are travelling on the expense of company (and earning KF or what ever program in your own account!). This extra cost can add up if you need to travel every other week! Again, this is different story all together.

LH live as long as SQ. So there is a reason for them to stay in the market even they are not the best. It is also very hard for the best to be continued as the best if the company do not continue to put focus on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
              Well, everyone has different preference. The question then become the extra that you have paid for get you exactly what you want in proportion? For a short flight, I bet you may not notice a different vs a long hour flight.
              I think you've misunderstood the article (or rather chose not to).

The writer was not trying to compare LH's service with SQ's, and certainly not for that "hour long flight". May I humbly suggest you read the whole article and not just one or two paragraphs, then draw your conclusions?

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverChris View Post

The writer was not trying to compare LH's service with SQ's, and certainly not for that "hour long flight". May I humbly suggest you read the whole article and not just one or two paragraphs, then draw your conclusions?
                I humbly agree.
                Have you checked your blind spot lately?

Comment

My message is reply to SQ228, not the original one! This is why I quote the original SQ228 message. Especially the first saentence "How could anybody prefer to be boarding a Lufthansa flight?"

I would suggest the same to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
                    My message is reply to SQ228, not the original one! This is why I quote the original SQ228 message. Especially the first saentence "How could anybody prefer to be boarding a Lufthansa flight?"

I would suggest the same to you.
                    Frankly, that's a monumental challenge for me. My language skills aren't quite up to the level required to understand your posts.

Comment

• I took both hour long flights with LH as well as long haul: SIN-FRA-DÜS; DÜS-MUC-SIN.

Clearly SQ was not an option for an hour-long domestic flight in Germany.

Flying SQ for the long hauls would have cost me more than LH did. Taking a Deutsche Bahn ICE for my connections to/from Düsseldorf would have cost me more than adding the short-hauls to my long-haul ticket with LH.

I paid every cent of the ticket by myself, after having already visited Europe less than 3 months prior, again self-funded. I earn a teacher's salary in Australia- explains why I fly Economy.

In retrospect, I would happily have paid more given how truly bad Lufthansa is. Unfortunately that wasn't even an option, due to my ticket being ex-MEL. SQ is so short of capacity to/from MEL that six weeks prior to departure I could not get a Y seat on any day within a 2 week period. Fortunately they have now realised what this has been doing to their market share in MEL and are finally doing something about it by adding capacity.

Comment

• In defense of LH, they are clearly the best short haul operator in Europe. The planes are clean, the seats are excellent, and invariably the flight leaves on time or even early.

It amazes me how AF/KLM can take the same plane and make it into a distressingly uncomfortable place to be. Their seats are narrower, and the layouts poor.

The all time worst example of the difference between LH and the rest was a flight I took last week on SAS between GVA and CPH.

CRJ900 (which with LH is comfortable and well thought out) was trashed with a cabin layout that had the washroom on one side of the cabin, and 2 rows of economy seats sold as Business Class on the other.

LH never sells the second seat in a row when sold as business, but SAS sold all 4 seats. The washroom is less than 20" from your face, with a constant stream of pax using it. Reminded me of being stuck at the back on a Greyhound bus.
                        Last edited by whanafi; 5 August 2012, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• My gripe:

I booked and ticketed a Business Saver from FRA to SIN some time ago but had to reissue the ticket once to extend its validity and reroute twice, eventually to SYD-SIN-BKK, also on a Business Saver.

On the (erroneous) advice of a well-meaning call centre agent, I had the new itinerary booked under the same PNR, rather than cancelling and making a new booking, so that I would not forfeit a stack of expired miles. I was also told that the difference in the miles required would be redeposited to my account.

Fast forward to a week before the departure from SYD: ticket still not issued, so I called the KF hotline and was told that it would be issued shortly, but 2 days later, still nothing. This happened 2-3 more times and eventually, after getting to SYD on a separate ticket and 2 days before I was due to fly, I got a call from a "senior officer" who tells me curtly that SQ will only issue the ticket if I accept that the difference in miles will not be refunded. Since it was too late to make alternative travel arrangements at this point, I told him to issue the ticket, but that I would take this up with a supervisor after getting back to SIN.

Back in SG, I sent SQ an email and got a call a few days later from a nice lady apologizing for the incorrect info provided but offering a refund of only 5k miles, versus the 25k miles for which I sought a refund. I reiterated politely that had I been told early on that I would not get any miles back, I would have tacked onto the itin a flight back to SIN from BKK, rather than paying for a separate ticket, and that the high-handed treatment from the "senior officer" were a great disappointment. After asking for my request to be reviewed, I got a call the following day offering a refund of 10k miles as the best that they can do.

At this point I gave up and accepted the offer, and was told that the 10k miles would be re-credited immediately. 2 working days later, still nothing

I appreciate the initial flexibility shown by SQ in extending the validity of the ticket, as well as the well-intentioned efforts of the hotline agent who unfortunately gave me incorrect information. What really annoys me are the very poor communication subsequently. I really hope SQ gets it act together!

Comment

• Originally posted by inkoherent View Post
                            I appreciate the initial flexibility shown by SQ in extending the validity of the ticket, as well as the well-intentioned efforts of the hotline agent who unfortunately gave me incorrect information. What really annoys me are the very poor communication subsequently. I really hope SQ gets it act together!
                            Well, at least you've managed to get them to reply. My last 4 complaints over the past 4 months were totally ignored.

Comment

Well, at least you've managed to get them to reply. My last 4 complaints over the past 4 months were totally ignored.
                              They used to answer every complaint.

Theses days, I have to send reminders. I have to complain about my complaint being unanswered before they reply.

They are steadily going downhill.

Comment

• 90% of my travel spend used to go to SQ & *A. It's now down to about 50%, and probably even lower next year when new carriers join OW.

Go figure...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...-earnings.html

Singapore Airlines Declines as Cargo Loss Hits Earnings

By Kyunghee Park and David Fickling - Nov 4, 2012
                                Singapore Airlines Ltd. (SIA), the world’s third-largest carrier by market value, fell to a four-month low after profit tumbled on a wider loss at its cargo unit.

The carrier dropped as much as 1.7 percent to S$10.40, the lowest price since June 29. It was down 1.3 percent as of 9:38 a.m., while the Straits Times Index fell 0.5 percent.

The airline, based in Singapore, on Nov. 2 reported a worse-than-estimated 54 percent drop in quarterly profit after losses at its freight arm tripled. The carrier plans to pare cargo capacity by parking one of 13 Boeing Co. (BA) 747 freighters for more than a year as it contends with slower trade and competition from Middle East carriers.

“We are not convinced that we will see a material earnings pickup over coming months,” Hong Kong-based Deutsche Bank AG analyst Joe Liew said in a note today. “We continue to see no reason to own the stock.” He recommends selling the stock and has a 12-month price forecast of S$8.65. That’s the lowest among 16 estimates compiled by Bloomberg.

Comment

Working...
                                X