No announcement yet.

Scoot! SQ's LCC gets a name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scoot - will be launching in 6 months time, Apr 2012.

Read more in the Straits Times today.

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
      Scoot - will be launching in 6 months time, Apr 2012.

Read more in the Straits Times today.
      http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_722023.html

Comment

Singapore Airlines' new low-cost, long-haul carrier is slated to take off in April next year with one Boeing 777-200 and expand to four planes in the first three months.

The longer-term plan is for Scoot Airlines, as the new entity could be called, to operate 14 of the twin-aisle planes by the middle of 2016, The Straits Times has learnt.

Regional carrier SilkAir, another SIA subsidiary, has a fleet of 18 aircraft.

The new airline, a critical part of SIA's strategy to deal with intensifying competition from rival carriers, is expected to fit each of its B-777 with about 400 seats.

How does one turn 38J 228Y into 400 Budget?

Comment

10 abreast at 3-4-3 and 31" pitch. Can be done, just take a look at jal/Ana domestic 777s.
          My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
            How does one turn 38J 228Y into 400 Budget?
            Scary thought Well my first guess would be to go from 9 abreast to 10 abreast in Eco and maybe a slightly reduced pitch to 31 inches. Not sure if they will decide (in light of AirAsiaX C product) to keep maybe 2 to 3 rows of a C equivalent seat in a 2-3-2 or tighther layout like current old regional Biz (ala Ultimo seats). Going to be interesting.

Comment

I still cannot get my head around why SIA would even be considering all of this.

I cannot see how it will make them money, and at the same time I cannot see it doing their existing business any good.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong but to me it spells a whole lot of trouble for the financially.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ238 View Post
                I still cannot get my head around why SIA would even be considering all of this.

I cannot see how it will make them money, and at the same time I cannot see it doing their existing business any good.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong but to me it spells a whole lot of trouble for the financially.
                Why don't you think this will make money? Of course no-one can say for sure, but with all that growth in the avatiaion market, especially LCCs, things looks rather positive for Scoot to enter the LCC market.

Comment

To me, it still puts severe pressure on Silkair to drive prices further downwards, no matter how fluffy-nice SQ wants to make it sound. Sounds like cannibalisation, pure and simple.

Comment

guess its really "Scoot" afterall.....and on its relation to Silkair - dont think it will be much impact on silkair - as Scoot is serving destinations ideally above 5 hrs and above flight time using the 772s. Hope they have a premium EY class just like Air Asia X and Jetstar.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                      Why don't you think this will make money? Of course no-one can say for sure, but with all that growth in the avatiaion market, especially LCCs, things looks rather positive for Scoot to enter the LCC market.
                      At what cost to their existing SIA and SilkAir businesses, is my concern.

I fully agree with Kyo.

Comment

Considering Scoot will be cramming 400 pax in their 772s, I would go for Jetstar's A332s anytime!
                        My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Most LCC normally get their revenue from anxillary charges such as that coffee you are tempted to buy or that extra amount for check-in baggage.

Profit margins are big for established LCCs such as jetstar asia.

SQ probably saw how jetstar was faring and decided to take up the concept.ie, leisure destinations or secondary ports.

The carrier is intended to target the lower end, such as the mom and pop who don't make the obscene amount that some posters here do earn per annum or have huge expense accounts. ie, the normal salary range of below 40k per annum before tax.

As for uptake, sin is not known as a huge profit market and well,you just have to read some of the comments here to know the kind of customers they are facing.

The 777s are also certified to take in as much as 440 maximum. ie, picture returning to the early 1990's seat types before krisworld and champagne.

Comment

its more how SQ bottomline will be affected in its EY n leisure traffic as do expect some pax to migrate from SQ to Scoot - as amsure Scoot will be serving some shared destinations even if its to nearby airports.

Comment

Deleted
                              Last edited by Megatop; 16 November 2011, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I agree with you. Suprise to see SIA make this move.

Comment

Working...
                                X