Ashtray on whalejet lavatory door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashtray on whalejet lavatory door

I was using the J bathroom on a whalejet yesterday, and I am sure I am not seeing things, however I noticed Airbus still have an ashtray on the back of the lavatory door if I am not mistaken?

Why is this when as I understood smoking is banned on most, if not all airlines in this day and age?

For sure the whalejets were built well after smoking was banned... maybe airbus had a stock of old doors which just happened to fit

Pointless observation but thought I would share.....

It's not Airbus fault. You may want to direct your question to FAA

Check out part (f) and (g) in FAR Part 25 Sec 25.853
    http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...7?OpenDocument

Quote:
    (f) Smoking is not allowed in lavatories. If smoking is allowed in any area occupied by the crew or passengers, an adequate number of self-contained, removable ashtrays must be provided in designated smoking sections for all seated occupants.
    (g) Regardless of whether smoking is allowed in any other part of the airplane, lavatories must have self-contained, removable ashtrays located conspicuously on or near the entry side of each lavatory door, except that one ashtray may serve more than one lavatory door if the ashtray can be seen readily from the cabin side of each lavatory served.
    Unquote:

Comment

How daft! You are not allowed to smoke in the lavatory but there is a rule saying you must have an ash tray. Surely that would encourage people to smoke in there!

On a side note how do smokers cope on a long haul flight?

Comment

Well - part 25 certifies a wide variety of aircraft, some of which certainly will allow smoking on board. Once size fits all I guess.

Comment

It's because regardless of the rules people DO smoke and for safety sake there needs to be somewhere to put it out. You can imagine the potential consequences if they used the rubbish bin.
          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
            Guess this would depend on the person concerned, personally, I can cope long haul without smoking and not think anything of it, I'm only conscious of it when I have a tight-ish onward connection and even then that is only after walking off the aerobridge...

I'm sure there are smokers out there who go through packets of nicabate gum for a long haul flight

Comment

The same way people who use mobile phones do ; they adhere to the rules.

Comment

You'll find most smokers sleep through the flight.

Comment

Or they go bananas.
                  Or explode.
                  Or get a terrible headache.

I don't know, I don't smoke

Comment

Working...
                  X