Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart attack and death mystery on SIA SIN-AMD

Souce Times of India

AHMEDABAD: A flyer travelling with his wife from Singapore to Ahmedabad died mid-air after a heart attack on Saturday evening. Navinchandra Trivedi, 73, suffered a massive cardiac arrest on board a Singapore Airline flight at 6.30 pm.

A major ruckus was created at the airport soon after the flight landed with Trivedi's relatives asking the airline to issue a death certificate.

The flight had taken off from Singapore at around 5 pm. Trivedi, who hails from Jamnagar and retired as a shipping company employee, and his wife Prafula were returning from Australia after meeting their daughter who is settled there.

The airline officials said that at around 6.30 pm, Trivedi complained of chest pain and suffered a stroke. "There was a doctor flying on board who attended Trivedi for a while but he breathed his last at around 7.30 pm. The flight landed at Ahmedabad airport at 10.15 pm," said an official from the airline.

However at the Ahmedabad airport, Trivedi's relatives got into altercation with the airline officials after their demand of death certificate was rejected.

"The customs and immigration department cleared the baggages and formalities soon after the flight landed. At that time, around five to six relatives of Trivedi who were at the airport refused to claim the body and asked for a death certificate from the airlines. Finally at around 2.45 am, the situation was brought under control and the body was sent to Apollo Hospital," said a senior Ahmedabad airport official.

Trivedi's relatives said that he had no cardiac history and were agitated as to why the plane was brought till Ahmedabad and no emergency landing was done as he died an hour after he suffered an attack.

"When we reached the airport, the airline officials said that he was still alive, but when the doctors on board 108 ambulance checked him they said his pulse can't be felt. The airline officials were trying to save themselves from paying the insurance claim and were blatantly lying about his death, so we refused to claim the body till the airline promised to give in writing that he had died on board," said a Trivedi's kin.

"We have still kept the body in the hospital morgue as his son is coming from the US and we are mulling over getting a post mortem done to get to the exact cause of his death," he added.

RIP to the subject. I am sure this is something that SQ do not want to toy with

Comment

I personally do not trust newspaper reports on anything medical. I've never once read an accurate report. This one especially did not gel.

Sad for the family, though. And I can understand how distraught they must be.

Comment

The focus of the media reporting wasn't a medical report.

The reporting does appear to be genuine and like many, it is reasonable to ask if SQ will do the right thing and pay out if needed to.

Comment

This is the second recent case of somebody suffering a heart attack on board a flight and it carrying on to the final stop. It wasn't so long ago we were talking about the same issue with regards the BBC journalist heading to London though we've not heard so much of that case since.

I find it odd, though, in this report how an 'airline official' can say on one hand 'he breathed his last at 7:30pm' then later on say 'he was still alive' so there is confusion in the mix there anyway.

Comment

This is based on the account of the deceased relatives... in all fairness, the account might have its inaccuracies somewhere

Comment

Working...
            X