Rumour : SQ considering replacing Suites on the A380

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumour : SQ considering replacing Suites on the A380

According to reports from around the camp fire they are thinking of swapping Suites in at least some of the fat planes for a different F, which would also - thankfully - be different to F on the 77W. Rumours of possibly up to 16 seats being considered, which seems a lot.

If they are to remain on the lower deck on the 388, 4-across is really wide if they're front facing (not like the QF rotate-into-bed).

Comment

The economics of Suites are that you have to fetch a huge margin over F to justify the space they are consuming: With the introduction of F and P fares, that's history. 12 Suites might be too many to begin with, I would think that load factors are below 50% which would require even a higher margin for those seats sold to keep the concept. Suites has never been more than a different seat, hence no one will mind any changes.

Comment

When they were introduced, they were asking S$24k SIN-LHR-SIN!

I remember thinking almost instant PPS!

I avoid flying in them. Paying to be locked up in a small cell makes no sense to me

Great service though.. but you get that in F anyway
        Last edited by 9V-SIA; 27 May 2011, 08:12 AM.

Comment

A seat and a bed like on LH's retrofitted 747?

For me, I hope it will be a layout which allows 2 persons to dine face to face like in a restaurant. Any airline has done such layout before?

Comment

Keep the hardware, but book that into F.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
              A seat and a bed like on LH's retrofitted 747?

For me, I hope it will be a layout which allows 2 persons to dine face to face like in a restaurant. Any airline has done such layout before?
              Many existing configs allow ottoman sitting for a companion and face to face dining.

This includes SQ Suites, TK/TG/9W 77W F, TG/MH 744 - quite a few more I forget now.

Comment

Something similar to QF or CX F - but in many ways more wonderful than those, please...

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                  Keep the hardware, but book that into F.
                  I think so, easy and simple

Just treat it as normal First Class like Emirates, that's all

Comment

I think this was inevitable. No one was buying into the "a class beyond First" motto and marketing wise Suites flopped from what I heard from some ad guys who also take care of adbertising for other airlines in SE Asia.

Coming from that angle (product flop) I think it makes sense to rather remove the Suites and install a different F product with maybe 16 seats on A380 and sell it as F (and allow A fares for *A F RTWs). Sure, if they had just introduced it as F and marketed it with more reasonable pricing from the start it could have been a stellar success, but this way I think they just want to close the chapter on the class beyond F

Maybe they can make the F section a bit smaller if that is possible if they don't want that many F seats, not certain but I'm sure some of our aircraft gurus will correct me if I'm talking nonsense.
                    Last edited by demue; 27 May 2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Well, the chairman's corner suite at SGX Centre is huge. (I know this.)

Plenty of space for SQ to send over a de-commissioned Suite to CCS's suite, for him to contemplate his Edsel.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj
                        for him to contemplate his Edsel.
                        Don't sell the Edsel short. At least it sold 84,000 units

Comment

A rumour beyond belief?

Comment

What is wrong with the 77W F? A lot of people here seem to hate it and said even the F on the 744 is better. I've read that the seat is too wide and it isn't comfortable for the passenger, unless he/she is fat. No problem, point taken there. But when we tie it into other aspects, don't the newer style such as the wall surroundings, the much much better TV, the renovation of both the F Cabin and the toilet enough to make up for the ONE and only flaw?

This is just my point of view, am I missing any other MAJOR flaws for the SQ 77W F?

Comment

There's a massive thread on here discussing the plusses and minuses of each.

For me, Skysuites on the 744 F are still more comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                              X