Different landing techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different landing techniques

Thanks to work I am flying to and from Bangkok weekly for the past 2 months. Something I have noticed is that there seem to be two types of landing styles.

One type is very quiet and seems to be more about using air brakes and no reverse thrust.

The other type is quite violent as the reverse thrust is used and it is extremely noisy, it almost sounds excessive.

Are there policies on landing types?

Originally posted by ozdude View Post
    Thanks to work I am flying to and from Bangkok weekly for the past 2 months. Something I have noticed is that there seem to be two types of landing styles.

One type is very quiet and seems to be more about using air brakes and no reverse thrust.

The other type is quite violent as the reverse thrust is used and it is extremely noisy, it almost sounds excessive.

Are there policies on landing types?
    I am no aviation expert but I do believe wind direction and speed do play a part

Comment

It's also dependent on whether the aircraft has to vacate a particular runway by a particular intersection/holding point or not.

Example - AK's flights that arrive into 14L tend to land with idle reverse, very little braking action - because the LCCT is at the far end near the 32R threshold. Why waste energy decelerating and reaccelerating?

Comment

It has got to do with many factors. Namely weather, airport's restrictions, aircraft landing weight and airline's policy. And as SINFJ and SQFG mentioned, wind directions and runway vacating taxiway. Most pilots would deploy thrust reversers during rainy weather or wet runway conditions as the braking effect from the brakes is reduced during such conditions.

And some airports restrict or advice airlines from thrust reverser operations at night. In fact, thrust reverser operations on Changi's 02L/20R are not adviceable during night time due to its proximity to the residential areas.

Comment

Working...
        X