Turkish Airlines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkish Airlines

I have never flown on Turkish Air before and I know every little about this airline. We'll be flying one domestic sector from Istanbul to Izmir return, and I am also planning to fly from Istanbul to Barcelona return. We'll need to return to IST to catch our flight back to Singapore on SQ.

Does Turkish Air have a decent reputation in terms of punctuality and service? The ticket prices on Y are very reasonable.

What are the other options for direct flights between IST and BCN?

Originally posted by planemad View Post
    I have never flown on Turkish Air before and I know every little about this airline. We'll be flying one domestic sector from Istanbul to Izmir return, and I am also planning to fly from Istanbul to Barcelona return. We'll need to return to IST to catch our flight back to Singapore on SQ.

Does Turkish Air have a decent reputation in terms of punctuality and service? The ticket prices on Y are very reasonable.

What are the other options for direct flights between IST and BCN?
    post deleted
    Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
      The service was reasonable. I only tend to fly SQ now - so it's a bit unfair to compare too much. Meal service out was ... interesting. The white meat they called chicken was processed and could have been anything really ... a bit of pepper and it was all good

I can't remember exactly what plane it was but it was a single aisle Boeing of some variety - and it looked quited dated.l
      Thanks for responding so quickly SQtraveller. Its about 500 euros return IST-BCN-IST for two pax on Y. Hard to pass up on an offer like that! But just in case, I'll bring my on sandwich on board. White meat that can pass for anything is highly suspect.

I don't think many airlines ply the direct IST-BCN route. Probably there are more options from IST to Madrid.

Comment

Originally posted by planemad View Post
        Thanks for responding so quickly SQtraveller. Its about 500 euros return IST-BCN-IST for two pax on Y. Hard to pass up on an offer like that! But just in case, I'll bring my on sandwich on board. White meat that can pass for anything is highly suspect.

I don't think many airlines ply the direct IST-BCN route. Probably there are more options from IST to Madrid.

post deleted
        Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:15 AM.

Comment

The obvious answer to this one apart from TK is JK (specifically JK162/161).

Spanair flies direct IST-BCN-IST. A dummy booking in May totals a cost of EUR204.75 for 1 adult.

I've tried JK on MUC-BCN and I actually thought it was rather decent. Although for intra-Europe, my favourites so far are still LX (but of course) and SK, mostly due to the food offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post

I've tried JK on MUC-BCN and I actually thought it was rather decent. Although for intra-Europe, my favourites so far are still LX (but of course) and SK, mostly due to the food offerings.
            Almost had a heart attack when I read that!!!

If flying J/C in SK (intra-Europe, no Biz for intra-Scandinavia), then the food is fine (ish)... In Y+, you get a cold meal, which is normally a rock-hard sandwich.... In Y, it is like an LCC (with normal airline pricing, mind you) as they run a buy-on-board system, which would be ok IF they had most items on their menu... In the 4 years I have been flying with them, I have not once been able to get a salad....
            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Spanair flies direct IST-BCN-IST. A dummy booking in May totals a cost of EUR204.75 for 1 adult.
              Kyo, many thanks for the tip.

Good to have one more option apart from TK. I've flown on Iberia between MAD and BCN but never Spanair, so I might give it a go.

Comment

Darn it. I didn't know that TK and JK operate code share flights. JK9161 and JK 9162 are Spanair flights operated by Turkish!

Comment

I have flown TK in Y a few times now and would say that for intra-european flights they are one of the best I have flown. Not that there is much difference between the carriers as basically they all offer nothing in Y. But with TK you do get some food and on the longer flights it is a hot meal

Comment

I've only flown once on TK. That was in Feb this year. IST-MUC. I have no complaints at all. I thought the hot breakfast in Y was pretty decent. I think the flight was on time. I don't exactly know for sure since I fell asleep on embarking and woke up in time for breakfast. Leg room was ok too. Service from FAs was good too. There is a fast-track queue for *Golds at IST immigration for departing passengers, so that helps a little.

I agree with what Lobster said about TK in comparison with other European carriers. We are used to having lower expectations for intra-European flights so TK comes out rather well in comparison to the rest.

If I get some time, I'd post some pics. But I'm afraid it'd be a long time before I get round to doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                      Almost had a heart attack when I read that!!!

If flying J/C in SK (intra-Europe, no Biz for intra-Scandinavia), then the food is fine (ish)... In Y+, you get a cold meal, which is normally a rock-hard sandwich.... In Y, it is like an LCC (with normal airline pricing, mind you) as they run a buy-on-board system, which would be ok IF they had most items on their menu... In the 4 years I have been flying with them, I have not once been able to get a salad....
                      I must've gotten lucky the three times I've taken SK in J then (not in Y, so I can't comment on that). I'm also referring to LX in J for intra-Europe jaunts.

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                      There is a fast-track queue for *Golds at IST immigration for departing passengers, so that helps a little.
                      First I've heard of that since my last visit two years ago. Is this new?

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                        I have flown TK in Y a few times now and would say that for intra-european flights they are one of the best I have flown. Not that there is much difference between the carriers as basically they all offer nothing in Y. But with TK you do get some food and on the longer flights it is a hot meal
                        Thanks people. TK it is then!

Comment

I must've gotten lucky the three times I've taken SK in J then (not in Y, so I can't comment on that). I'm also referring to LX in J for intra-Europe jaunts.
                          Never done any flights with LX but in general intra-Europe flights are nothing to shout about as they are generally short-hop routes with little in-flight service.
                          God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

flightstats will give some indication of route & flight specific on-time performance

Comment

TK uses A319/A320/738 on the medium load intra-europe flights. Done DUB-IST, IST- DXB with TK on J and IST-ADB vv on Y all on A320/A319. This was all done in the last 2 years.

Generally inflight service is acceptable and flight attendant attentive. seatleg room is normal and in J with the middle seat folded down. Generally flight is ok. However, no in seat AVOD, so do bring your own entertainment.
                              there's nothing more rewarding than flying for free, is there??

Comment

Working...
                              X