Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UA Response to a Customer Complaint

Russian Resolution
    On Nov. 1, 2009, during the taxi of UA 965 (en route from Moscow to Washington, D.C.), a hook connecting the plane to the taxi vehicle on the ground was damaged. The captain assured us that the damage would not jeopardize flight safety and that getting relevant paperwork would take "10 to 15 minutes." The United crew tried for about four hours to do so, but failed (it was early on a Sunday morning), and then a limit on active duty of the crew set in. The flight was canceled, with a new flight departing 24 hours later (with passengers put up at an airport hotel at United's expense, with compensation vouchers distributed, etc.).

The following morning, United's Moscow staff learned that reservations for flights of passengers connecting in Washington, D.C., had been canceled as well and not transferred. They were told to do the connections manually during the check-in. Because of that, the flight was set to be delayed again, so passengers started to lose their connections. As in the proverbial Sisyphus story, no end was in sight.

After we finally took off, I asked for peanuts, and received the response, "Didn't you get them yesterday?" We did—while waiting on the tarmac, we were served water and refreshments—so, no peanuts, not even in business class. (And I would be the first to admit that the new United transoceanic business- and first-class seats match the competition.) A question about newspapers, which I knew was purely rhetorical, was destined to invite the same response: "Didn't you get them yesterday?" followed by "But we still have some wine left, and as you know, it gets better by the day."

I admire the flight attendant's sense of humor and not-so-subtle irony, but while the lagging quality of service on U.S. carriers is yesterday's news (and thus hardly merits a letter), a lack of effort on their part to motivate customer-facing staff needs attention.

During the flight, I was served by flight attendants by-hook-and-crook—reluctantly. For instance, because of a minor health problem and needing hot water to take medication, I pressed a flight attendant button. Different flight attendants passed me in my first-row business-class cabin seat no less than eight times, with none caring to notice. When I pointed out the switched-on flight attendant button to the flight's purser, she agreed that it was unacceptable, but pleaded for understanding as staff was "tired given the protracted delay." This letter is to express my sympathy to United staff and to wish them well for the New Year.

I wish for myself—a United 1K and Delta Platinum customer—to fly much less in the New Year, so that hopefully, one happy day, I will be downgraded to just a Silver member, or if wishes really come true, cease to be a Premium member altogether.

–Yevgeny Kuznetsov
    Washington, D.C.

United Airlines responds: While we work hard to ensure that we operate safely and reliably—every flight, every day—delays and cancellations do happen in our industry. While the cancellation of this Moscow–Washington flight was an unfortunate circumstance, it is by no means reflective of the experience that our customers should expect and, in most circumstances, do receive.

United is making significant investments in our people and in our products. As Mr. Kuznetsov points out, we have upgraded the premium cabins on our 747s and on our international 767s. United was the first U.S. carrier to offer fully flat beds in both first and business class. Additionally, a complete premium-class upgrade on our international 777 aircraft began this month (February). And we are refreshing our economy-class cabins with newer lighting and upholstery, updated audio and video equipment and, on dozens of aircraft, leather seats throughout.

We are investing in new tools and training to help our employees deliver outstanding service. Additionally, a new incentive program to drive reliability and on-time performance paid out nearly $32 million in 2009, or $825 for each eligible employee.

The results: significantly improved on-time performance, better reliability, fewer missed connections and—most importantly—improved customer satisfaction.

–Rahsaan Johnson
    Communications & Public Relations
    United Airlines

source: http://www.btusonline.com/readers_le...a=0&m=2&y=2010

sq apologetic letters seems to be a five star compared to this one .

Originally posted by albert View Post
    United Airlines responds: While we work hard to ensure that we operate safely and reliably—every flight, every day—delays and cancellations do happen in our industry. While the cancellation of this Moscow–Washington flight was an unfortunate circumstance, it is by no means reflective of the experience that our customers should expect and, in most circumstances, do receive.

United is making significant investments in our people and in our products. As Mr. Kuznetsov points out, we have upgraded the premium cabins on our 747s and on our international 767s. United was the first U.S. carrier to offer fully flat beds in both first and business class. Additionally, a complete premium-class upgrade on our international 777 aircraft began this month (February). And we are refreshing our economy-class cabins with newer lighting and upholstery, updated audio and video equipment and, on dozens of aircraft, leather seats throughout.

We are investing in new tools and training to help our employees deliver outstanding service. Additionally, a new incentive program to drive reliability and on-time performance paid out nearly $32 million in 2009, or $825 for each eligible employee.

The results: significantly improved on-time performance, better reliability, fewer missed connections and—most importantly—improved customer satisfaction.

–Rahsaan Johnson
    Communications & Public Relations
    United Airlines

source: http://www.btusonline.com/readers_le...a=0&m=2&y=2010

PR at its best speak for long enough and people just forget what they complained about!

Comment

Originally posted by albert View Post

While SQ apologetic letters maybe five stars compare to UA, at least UA is generous for compensation.

Once on SQ delay for 3 hours for mechanical, no compensation. The other time SQ damage my check bag beyond repair, nothing was offered at the airport.

Comment

Working...
      X