No announcement yet.

Lie-back comfort for Air New Zealand economy class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new PE is very impressing, 2-2-2 config in a 777 while others are using 2-4-2

Comment

Linking the images here for easier viewing

Will be looking forward to the new Y+, a big leap forward on the current config.

Y

Y+

J

Comment

Wow! Thanks for posting Nick C

My thoughts:
        1. it will take away business from the front of the plane
        2. wonder how much they'll be charging
        3. hope they come back to SIN!

Comment

More info from the launch here

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
            Wow! Thanks for posting Nick C

My thoughts:
            1. it will take away business from the front of the plane
            2. wonder how much they'll be charging
            3. hope they come back to SIN!
            1) Possibly, but there is still a big difference between premium economy and business class. Eg 9" recline vs fully flat, oodles of legroom vs not so much.

2) Lots. Current premium economy is fairly expensive, and it will be moreso in the new config (roughly 6 seats taking up the same floorspace as 9).

3) Unlikely any time soon. NZ tries to avoid routes with strong competition.

Comment

really - is it that much better with the extra cost??
              I hit the height (or is it length) for the seats in economy and my husband overdoes it by 15cm so there goes any quality sleep with the overhang in the aisle.

Intrigued by the PE though as I had not seen that reported elsewhere today....

Comment

Y & Y+ designs looks very innovative, but whether or not they are comfortable, that's the big question.

to NZ for such the unconventional product upgrades.

Comment

Looks like NZ has created some great products. Although personally I would rather pay for an extra Y seat when travelling with my partner than be in a Y+ seat... Being able to lie flat makes a massive difference!
                  Summer holiday plans: Asia 09

Comment

Not cheap

I knew it was too good to be true.

Why would anyone choose these seats over business class?

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...5,000-skycouch

Comment

The fare is steep for individual travellers. But the Skycouch seems good value for couples or families. Just did a dummy booking - 2 pax travelling MEL-AKL-LAX return in June will pay $3114 for 2 whY seats, $3531.30 for the Skycouch, $4852.30 for 2 PE seats or over $12k for Business. Certainly very good value when compared to PE and exceptionally better value than 2 x whY seats.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo Zep View Post
                        I hit the height (or is it length) for the seats in economy and my husband overdoes it by 15cm so there goes any quality sleep with the overhang in the aisle.
                        I would be about the same as your husband, so would require 4 seats to lie down or my legs would be sticking out. When I tried it before with 4 seats there was not much room spare, the large leg rest folding up to add 50% to the length of the seat would help to stop the person you are sleeping with from falling on the floor, which is what happen to the girl I was with when trying it on normal seats.

I would still go business, but nice idea.

Comment

Good idea but I have to agree you cant stretch out in the 3 seats with out getting walloped by the trolley or other PAX. The Y+ look interesting though, can you imagine how much SQ would charge for something like that

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                            I knew it was too good to be true.

Why would anyone choose these seats over business class?

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...5,000-skycouch
                            Another case of rubbish journalism... As KeithMEL says, the skycouches are great value for a couple, and the pricing is almost exactly as previously advertisied

The seats were never designed for individuals (none of the publicity photos feature single people - always a couple or family), nor were they designed for people to lie fully flat with their feet hanging off into the aisle

If you want fully flat, then pay the premium for business class. Skycouches are, as named, a couch, so you can slumber back and lean on the side wall, plus have a fully flat space in which to curl up/slouch/whatever

Comment

I attended their AKL open day to tour the 77W. I'm 1.85m and my son who came along with me is 1.93m - not your average customers, I admit. My impressions - the J cabin is little different, apart from the white upholstery and I did think the mattress was better. Only noticeable difference is that the "coffin walls" are lower, so it's either more convivial or less private, depending on your attitude. PE was a nightmare: strangely angled seats with poor headroom and hardly any recline. Y, not much different than before. The Skycouch obviously useless for people at our height, but to be fair it was never advertised as a bed. I like the idea of touchscreen food ordering at one's leisure though. Nice touch.

Overall a bit gimmicky; compared with my regular ride on SQ's 77W, the cabin felt claustrophobic.

Comment

http://asia.businesstraveller.com/ne...ceseat-legroom

Comment

Working...
                                X