Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about TG BKK-LAX Sector

Hi guys, glad to finally post something in this forum

I am hoping to fly from Dhaka to Los Angeles in economy (not premium economy) next year, and as I am a Krisflyer member the most convenient flights to take are SQ or TG, because they will earn me miles. SQ is my favorite airline, however, its B747s which fly on the SIN-NRT-LAX route are ageing, and also the transit times when coming back from LA to Dhaka at Singapore is absure, some 20 hours! Anyway, I'm turning my attention to TG, because I haven't flown on this airline for approximately 9-10 years. I was just reading one of the posts in this forum, the one about Thai being consistently inconsistent, and I'm in conflict with myself because I don't know whether I want to take this flight. The DAC-BKK flight is supposed to be crap anyway, but it lasts only 2h30mins, so it shouldn't be that bad. One other reason that I want to take this flight is that it is a nonstop, one which lasts over 17 hours (one way or the other) But don't want to end up on a flight which I will suffer for that long!

Anyway, I want to know any comments about how Thai's A345 are, and what condition they are in? How is the IFE? How is the food quality on board this flight? More than anything, how is the onboard crew service. I know it's inconsistent, but has anyone heard or seen whether there are consistent on this flight? I mean this is a damn long flight, shouldn't some of the most motivated and best performing crew be on it? And does anyone know what an estimated ticket is return? USD? I checked Expedia and the TG website, but they seem to only present premium economy fares.

More than anything the real reason why I need some answering to these questions is because my parents will most probably be coming along with me. From past experiences, they are not the biggest fans of Thai, especially in economy because the crew have continuously been rude ones, especially on the flights operating in there South Asia region, treating their passengers like dirt, supposedly based on prejudices. If anyone is offended with what I just said, I am not the one who said, it, I'm just quoting the many many people who have spoken about TG services, and am just asking for your humble opinions

Thanks in advance.

I'd go with Thai, despite their inconsistencies purely for their timing. I wouldn't want a 20-hour transit (unless you feel like exploring Singapore outside..). I'm guessing that TG will also be a bit cheaper

Good luck

Comment

I was on this flight in Y ~ 2 months ago (didn't manage to find the time to do a Trip report ).

Overall impressions: Seat pitch was pretty good. 3 meals (vs 2 + snacks on the SIN-LAX nonstop). The IFE did not work on BKK-LAX - thank god I could sleep. Was working LAX-BKK.

Personal opinion, would def pick this flight over SQ on SIN-NRT-LAX especially since you ahve a 20 hour layover.

Comment

Seat pitch on the TG345 in Y is 36 inches - which is a winner

Comment

Thanks guys. Could anyone please help me with getting a fare quote DAC-LAX from somewhere for economy, not Premium economy? I'm having some real trouble getting a fare!

And I observed from Seatguru, that Singapore Airline's B747 seat pitch is 32". Does the 36" really differ from it? I've never really taken into account the seat pitch before, but guess I will from now on

Comment

TG has a special fare ex-SIN to LAX you may want to consider IF its not too much hassle to go DAC-SIN-BKK-lAX
            http://www.thaiairways.com.sg/Promot...on%20class.asp
            http://www.thaiairways.com.sg/Promot...ss%20class.asp

What's interesting is that Prem Y is a mere S$1,120 less than C

Comment

Originally posted by SQlankan View Post
              And I observed from Seatguru, that Singapore Airline's B747 seat pitch is 32". Does the 36" really differ from it? I've never really taken into account the seat pitch before, but guess I will from now on
              Every inch counts. The difference between 32" and 36" is massive. At 32" my knees hit the seat in front = uncomfortable. At 36" there is plenty of space for knees (unless you are really tall).

Comment

Haha well I'm 6'1, so I hope it will be good. Anyway I've got used to the economy way of life hahh, the SIA seats 32-33" are normal. Thanks for the fares, 9V-JKL!

Calvinoeh, I can't believe you survived a 17 hour flight without IFE! How was the food quality?

Comment

Originally posted by SQlankan View Post
                  Thanks guys. Could anyone please help me with getting a fare quote DAC-LAX from somewhere for economy, not Premium economy? I'm having some real trouble getting a fare!

Fares from Bangladesh MUST be obtained within Bangladesh. No use for you to get a fare from Singapore as the two fares from DAC and then from Singapore will cancel out any savings. It will actually make it more expensive.

You must contact either a travel agent or call Thai Airways direct to find out what fares they are offering or to which large travel agency would they refer you to.

Comment

Working...
                  X