Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIN-BKK - SQ or TG, which is better?

Hello,

For the next few months I'll be flying between SIN and BKK very often. I was wondering which airline is more worth taking, considering the price, EY comfort and timing. I prefer earning miles with *A so I guess CX and other non-*A airlines aren't included.

Thanks in advance

Which *A FFP are you planning to bank the miles in and do you currently have any *A status?

And by EY, do you mean economy?
    Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by B727 View Post
      Which *A FFP are you planning to bank the miles in and do you currently have any *A status?

And by EY, do you mean economy?
      I prefer Krisflyer, as I'm a Elite Silver. Yes EY is EconomY

Comment

Originally posted by First_Flyer View Post
        I prefer Krisflyer, as I'm a Elite Silver. Yes EY is EconomY
        I see, in that case, if you intend to build on your SQ KF status all the way to QPP, it makes sense to keep flying SQ.

However, if you're only aiming for *A Gold, either TG or SQ flights will give you progress along that path.

TG fares can be very competitive in comparison with SQ, and BKK being its home base, there are some advantages. For example, TG occupies the first two lobbies of Suvarnabhumi airport's departure level. Hence the taxi drops you off right there at door 2. SQ meanwhile is at check-in counter K which corresponds to door 5, but the security normally closes off the area past door 5 and makes the taxi drop off at door 10!

Also, if you happen to be flying business class one of these days, the path to the Royal Orchid Business Class Lounge (as opposed to the Star Alliance Gold lounge) for TG is more straightforward the TG check-in counter.

Comment

I've taken both SQ and TH to/from Thailand, chosen either for price or personal timing.... usually price. I have to say that the flight is so short it's not really worth worrying about, though if i remember, there was no PTV in Thai? The flight is short enough though you regularly don't see the end of films when flying SQ.

Food is equally appalling on both airlines but again grateful to get lounge access and a proper coffee before lift off.

I don't really see the point of paying what can be 1/3 or 1/4 more on SQ for the benefit of missing the end of films.

Comment

I would pick whatever timings and costs suited me best at the times I need to travel. It's only a 2 hour flight so not much benefit either way.

Originally posted by B727 View Post
            I see, in that case, if you intend to build on your SQ KF status all the way to QPP, it makes sense to keep flying SQ.
            I see no mention by the OP of PPS status, and besides that they will be flying in Y, which means no PPSV can be earned anyway.

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
            though if i remember, there was no PTV in Thai? The flight is short enough though you regularly don't see the end of films when flying SQ.
            TG do not turn the AVOD on for flights less than 3 hours these days to save on the commission they have to pay to the film companies.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
              The flight is short enough though you regularly don't see the end of films when flying SQ
              Oh yes, if you intend to watch a movie on the two-hour flight, make sure you start watching immediately after lift-off!

The BKK-SIN sector is usually one where I just enjoy the audio selections (my personal favs are channel 9 & 10 on SQ ). I prefer to save my movies for the cinethon which takes place during my 5 hour+ flights/

Comment

Having flown both TG and SQ on SIN-BKK vv flights, I personally would prefer TG as TG offered better food (TG's meals consist of appetiser + main + dessert + warm bread but SQ's meals only offers main + dessert + cold pre-packaged bread) and drinks (especially if you like your alcohols as TG crew would come down the aisle with full bar carts & wine top-ups for the meal service while alcoholic drinks except wines on SQ is on request and the SQ girls often looked hassled having to attend to ad-hoc drinks requests).

If you like your inflight entertainment, then SQ is the way to go as TG often uses aircraft without AVOD on BKK flights.

You can refer to my trip report for a TG flight review.

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7572
                My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                  TG do not turn the AVOD on for flights less than 3 hours these days to save on the commission they have to pay to the film companies.
                  Well, that's three flights they've been paying commission on for my last few SIN-BKK/BKK-SIN sectors then

It depends on the aeroplane you get.

I choose to make my purchase (as mentioned many times) based on the timing of the flight. The cost difference is negligible (and in fact SQ comes out cheaper at the moment), but due to availability on certain fare classes I prefer, and due to an extremely accommodating BKK-based travel agent, I now fly TG almost exclusively.

I don't miss the SQ experience on this short flight.

Comment

Since it's a rather short flight, it does count as an Elite sector doesn't it? If so I'll make EG in no time.

Comment

I have no idea what an Elite sector is?? Youll make gold if you fly BKK-SIN or SIN-BKK 57 times in your first 12 months of joining Krisflyer. Or you may have to fly 28 times, and then 57 times after you make silver. Good luck with that!

As for service, I'd go with TG now, because of points mentioned above.... there is a salad side with the Y meal, and full bar service. Agree with others that mention you get a 'look' from SQ girls if you ask for say, a singapore sling on a SIN-BKK that is full in Y!!
                      My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Oh sorry what I meant was if you fly TG you'll still get Krisflyer Elite miles right?

Comment

yes, you get elite qualifying miles for all mileage earning flights on Star Alliance airlines
                          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by First_Flyer View Post
                            Oh sorry what I meant was if you fly TG you'll still get Krisflyer Elite miles right?
                            You'd better be sure which Fare Class you're paying for, otherwise you might end up getting no miles on let's say a V-class Economy fare.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                              You'd better be sure which Fare Class you're paying for, otherwise you might end up getting no miles on let's say a V-class Economy fare.
                              Most likely I'll be booked on a fare other than Y fare but is still not a promotional fare.. Perhaps B or M.

Comment

Working...
                              X