PEK - SHA/PVG... Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEK - SHA/PVG... Any ideas?

Boss and I will be flying this sector in January...

This route is served by both, CA (China Airlines) and FM (Shanghai Airlines). We'll probably fly in Y for this sector.

My question: CA or FM?

CA flies a plethora of planes (733, 738, 772, 744, A321, A330, A340) at different times.

FM flies 757, 767 & A321.

Anyone with experience on this route, and more importantly with these two airlines?

Advice on lounge options in PEK would be most appreciated as well

If it is useful, we're putting up at the Le Royal Meridien at People's Square in Shanghai.

CA is Air China. China Airlines is CI - the Taiwanese airline which used to have one of the worst safety records in the world (about one crash each year).

I've flown both CA and FM on domestic routes in China (including between PEK and SHA) but that was a couple of years ago and in F. Of the two, I preferred FM who seemed - at that time at least - more like a western airline.

I appreciate that you're travelling with your boss so it may not be possible but if you're paying a full Y fare, you may want to check out the difference to upgrade to J or F which should be minimal. The difference really is between heavily discounted Y fares (e.g. 60% off) which seem to be offered the nearer to departure you get (I bought bought a ticket in the morning and flew in the afternoon).

As far as the hotel is concerned, the LM is fine (there should be a thread on here, e.g. KeithMEL has stayed there as well). It really depends on whether you want to be in Puxi or Pudong.

Comment

Thanks for the info jhm

Comment

I also prefer FM to CA. In my opinion, CA's cabin crews are always quite rude.

Comment

FWIW, have heard from two friends of mine (very regular PEK-based business travellers) this past weekend in PEK who regularly do intra-China flights that Shanghai Airlines (FM) is the way to go. Apparently they even get flat beds on some aircraft on some sectors (PEK-PVG seems to ring a bell but I must admit they were talking at breakneck mainland-Chinese speed, with bonus Beijing accent, so I might have misheard)...

Having also checked out CA's PEK F lounge (and comparing it with the BSG Premier), I can see why someone once mentioning that I wasn't missing much by staying in the PEK J lounge back in August (I agree).

Comment

I don't know about FM but I've had a flat bed in F on CA between Beijing and Shanghai. It was an identical seat to the AA flagship suite which goes fully flat (and more comfortable IMO than the SQ skysuite due to no restriction around the leg area).

Comment

Thanks once again UMD, Kyo and jhm...

Your advice have proved invaluable.. Looks like FM it is for me

Flying into SHA instead of PVG due to the distance from the airport to the hotel (cabbing it).

Comment

Working...
              X