No announcement yet.

TG: Consistently Inconsistent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did SIN-BKK-LAX-LAS-LAX-EWR-LAX-BKK-SIN.

The BKK-LAX route was great in Y. IFE is not up to SQ standard but close enough. Food was ok. Overall I would say on par with SQ in Y if not a little less up tight. Great lounges compared to SQ in SIN for Y *G pax.

Best thing is that TG is usually not full compared to SQ so I keep an eagle eye out and quickly run to them when the doors close. This ensures I get at least 2 seats to myself. Thats the Singaporean in me! But hey, I got 2 seats! haha

Finally, Continental gave me problems with checking my bags all the way through to SG on the way home. They could only check through from EWR-LAX-BKK because apparently my BKK-SIN leg was more than 24 hours away. So I just said forget it and picked up my bags in LAX.

Return flight was also pleasant. Stopover in BKK for a massage to really feel fresh when arriving in SG.

So, yeah, I'd go for it if the fares are good. After all that you probably wanted to know about J and not Y.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan^ View Post
      Has anyone done their BKK - LAX route on the A340-500? Good fare about recently which I am considering.
      http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1572

Comment

It is (or was ?) official - TG "sucks"!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1348843.stm

Comment

Got TG-ed to a 744

Tomorrow it seems my HKT-BKK is scheduled for the infamous A300-600(c)?

Fun times...

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            It is (or was ?) official - TG "sucks"!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1348843.stm
            There'll always be fans, and there'll always be people who say they suck. And then there'll be a handful who'll call them dishonourable in everest-like doses.

Comment

Why are you quoting an article from 2001 jhm, with comments from former PM Thaksin? Thai is quite a different airline almost 10 yrs later.

saying Thai 'sucks' I think is quite unfair. I am happy to criticise Thai at times but gee, they are a FAR FAR FAR superior airline to so many others.

and kyo, enjoy your A300 ride
              My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                Why are you quoting an article from 2001 jhm, with comments from former PM Thaksin? Thai is quite a different airline almost 10 yrs later.

saying Thai 'sucks' I think is quite unfair. I am happy to criticise Thai at times but gee, they are a FAR FAR FAR superior airline to so many others.
                I think you missed the in my post but nevertheless, I find it amusing at least that you can get "on the record" comments like the following from the then current PM about his own country's national airline:

The prime minister slammed Thai Airways International for its high ticket prices, uncomfortable seats and poor service.
                [...]
                Prime Minister Shinawatra told the Bangkok Post in its Thursday edition that he was "very happy" when he was not able to get a seat on the carrier.

Speaking in the Thai language, Mr Thaksin used the word "huay" to describe the airline - a derogatory word that can be translated as "it sucks", the paper's editor, Pichai Chuensuksawadi said.

"If I were not a public figure, I wouldn't fly with Thai. It sucks"
                [...]
                Thai Airways president Pisith Kusalasaiyanond admitted the comments were justified in an interview with local radio, saying the facilities needed to be improved.
                So now - nine years later - given the improvements at Thai, I agree with you that they suck less and are a far superior airlines to many others (e.g. JS).

More seriously, I've flown TG a handful of times (Y, J and F) and whilst there were some things which irritated me (a lot), I would not go quite so far as to say they "suck".
                Last edited by jhm; 8 August 2010, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Well, I paid for two standby upgrades on the A300-600, and boy... that is one old bird

Nice patterns all over the cabin, and we somehow managed to still get allocated front row seats in the second cabin. Somewhat surprisingly, row 22 is still considered Business (back cabin but same seats with the front cabin), and makes me wonder if the front cabin was actually furnished differently from the back (perhaps a separate F product existed at one point?). The toilets are nice and deep pink also!

Seat 22A that I was in also kept reclining onto the person behind me (albeit almost imperceptibly)... which made it very odd during take-off/landing times to try and explain. Also, food was uninspired compared the the stunning spaghetti/meatballs I had ex-KBV back in May.

Not thrilled about Phuket nor its attractions (Phuket FantaSea is... omg tourist) and Krabi still reigning as my favourite in Thailand by far!

Comment

Just done online check-in and my flight to BKK tomorrow evening has been TGed from a B772 to a B773 with PTVs. Finally TGed for the better! Hopefully my BKK-ICN sector also gets TGed, haha.
                    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Do any of TG's A300s fly to Malaysia? Feel like trying it out

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        Well, I paid for two standby upgrades on the A300-600, and boy... that is one old bird !
                        Yep....happy that they finally thought it wise to remove it from the route I often fly......A red-eye on that plane is ......

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                          Do any of TG's A300s fly to Malaysia? Feel like trying it out
                          AFAIK, one of the KUL services is still operated by an AB6.
                          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Anyone has any experiences on TG J for 402 on the outbound and 409 inbound? Will be on these in about 6 weeks... and having doing all my flying with SQ almost all my life, I wonder what the experience is gonna be like

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                              Anyone has any experiences on TG J for 402 on the outbound and 409 inbound? Will be on these in about 6 weeks... and having doing all my flying with SQ almost all my life, I wonder what the experience is gonna be like
                              TG402 will be using A330-300 (which arrive the night before as TG401). I was on TG401 in late September and it was the very old plane (still in old TG logo). Feel like flying in 1990s.

If you are luckier you may get newer A330-300 which I did in July but still the cabin config is quite old.
                              Last edited by lingua101; 29 December 2010, 10:39 AM.
                              visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                                Guess you will gonna have the old A330 and B744 for your flights. Hardware wise, TG can't compare with SQ with no PTVs in economy. But you are almost guaranteed better food and drinks compared to SQ.
                                My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                                X