No announcement yet.

SIN-BHX - Trying to fly Star Alliance. Or should I bite the bullet and fly EK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIN-BHX - Trying to fly Star Alliance. Or should I bite the bullet and fly EK

Thinking ahead to my flight at the end of the summer to go from SIN-BHX (Birmingham International Airport in the UK). Right now the most palatable options would be to fly SQ from SIN-FRA and FRA-BHX on Lufthansa. or possibly LH from SIN-MUC *on their newer aircraft* and MUC-BHX on LH. But these options are quite ex. about 2k SGD.

Whereas EK has a deal for like 1.5k SIN-DXB-BHX.

Are there anyways to route my flights cheaply and earning miles *Whilst sticking to Star Alliance/KF Partners?* Also is it cheaper to get tix from Agents or online for these complicated flight paths? Just throwing it out there. Thanks folks!

Dates?

I'm seeing TK SIN-IST-BHX for S$ 1641 in your time frame.

Chris

Comment

Use SQ to go SIN - LHR then National Express up to Birmingham.

Comment

Preferably 1 Oct and 12 Dec. How is TK as an airline actually? I've given up on SkyTrax.

Originally posted by JayhawkCO View Post
        Dates?

I'm seeing TK SIN-IST-BHX for S$ 1641 in your time frame.

Chris
        Haha, Thanks F. I was actually trying to avoid that if possible. But the costs involved maybe prohibitive. Lol

Originally posted by -F- View Post
        Use SQ to go SIN - LHR then National Express up to Birmingham.

Comment

I would've taken Emirates myself

Comment

I had a similar dilemma a couple of weeks ago, albeit flying in business class in the reverse direction: LON-SIN/KUL-LON

TK wasn't flying on the day I wanted, and I thought long and hard about SQ during its "sale weekends" when it was <GBP1600 out of LHR. In the end, if I wanted to fly *A, it would have meant paying GBP1800 to get LH via FRA

So, for GBP200 less, I've plumped for EK instead. In First! The car transfer, the EK Suite, the easy connections in DXB, and the EK silver status won it for me in the end

Will report back in a couple of days on whether the EK suite was worth it!

Comment

WoW! That's awesome. I think I'll discuss this with the people who're paying for my flight *i.e. parental units* before I make a decision.

Do post a review of the EK suite! Exciting to know how the competition does their first class!

Comment

Originally posted by kt74 View Post
                Will report back in a couple of days on whether the EK suite was worth it!
                I'll be looking forward to it! What will be your route?

P.S. Sorry if its off topic.

Comment

quick thought here. EK is cheaper ex-uk compared to sg. you can fly EK return from uk to singapore for about 480 pounds in Y class, which is about S1.3k at today's rates. Coffeeblack, I'm guessing you're a student - if you are, Emirates skywards is probably the programme to be on. you get extra baggage allowance (14 kg extra i think) and lounge access in DXB with 25k miles a year. On most *A airlines you get zilch for 25k miles flown.

Earn/burn ratio for skwards is decent too. 25k can redeem a J upgrade on DXB-UK (including the A380) - and they throw in a chauffeured Volvo to get you to your end location on arrival.

EK is relatively cheap in First as well. I was quoted GBP1.9k for a LGW-DXB-SIN-DXB-LHR in F, with 77W suites all the way, cept for the last leg in "R" on the A380 to LHR. Emirates now throws in a free 3 night stay in dubai at the Jumeirah, the Park Hyatt or the Palm Atlantis if you fly F (2 if you fly J).

it's all about deciding what you want from your buck. every airline has its pros and cons. what you'll want to do is have a good look out there and see what works for you.
                  Last edited by kelvgoh; 2 June 2009, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Hm, VERY convincing argument my friend! Thanks a lot for your advice. I think I will try and get myself on emirates at some point Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X