Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mileage run - is it worth it?

post deleted
    Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:00 AM.

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
    I've got to get another 8k miles in the next few weeks or else I lose BD Gold status.
    I do enjoy the benefits of Gold *A and would like to renew, but does anyone have any input as to whether it is worth doing? And if so can you recommend a cheap 8k flight (over a weekend preferably) that I can take?
    Thanks
    Only you can say what *G benefits are worth to you. With BD Diamond Club most likely being merged into Miles & More in the next year or so, it may well be worth hanging onto the status for a modest cost.

Where are you flying from? Any constraints (eg due to visa requirements)?

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
      Only you can say what *G benefits are worth to you. With BD Diamond Club most likely being merged into Miles & More in the next year or so, it may well be worth hanging onto the status for a modest cost.

Where are you flying from? Any constraints (eg due to visa requirements)?
      post deleted
      Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:00 AM.

Comment

It also depends how much you fly whether *G will be useful to you.

Bear in mind also that there's a chance that LH will give SEN status to all BD *G at the time they take over DC. On that basis, you'd get another 2 years of LH SEN (*G) status.

From LHR, I'd suggest the easiest (and probably quite cheap) way to get 8k miles is a weekend in the US. I did this myself a few years ago when I found I was just short of KF ES status, I posted my first ever post on TOF and helpful people like shortfinals, jjpb3 etc suggested a quick trip to New York. I spent about 24 hours there, ate a lot and came back.

You can't do JFK nowadays since UA no longer fly this route (and I don't imagine you fancy AI). Perhaps have a look at LHR-ORD-LHR on UA - 7,905 miles according to Great Circle Mapper ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          It also depends how much you fly whether *G will be useful to you.

Bear in mind also that there's a chance that LH will give SEN status to all BD *G at the time they take over DC. On that basis, you'd get another 2 years of LH SEN (*G) status.

From LHR, I'd suggest the easiest (and probably quite cheap) way to get 8k miles is a weekend in the US. I did this myself a few years ago when I found I was just short of KF ES status, I posted my first ever post on TOF and helpful people like shortfinals, jjpb3 etc suggested a quick trip to New York. I spent about 24 hours there, ate a lot and came back.

You can't do JFK nowadays since UA no longer fly this route (and I don't imagine you fancy AI). Perhaps have a look at LHR-ORD-LHR on UA - 7,905 miles according to Great Circle Mapper ?
          post deleted
          Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:01 AM.

Comment

I was doing some searching around different forums and realise UA does offer one of the best mileage run promos from time to time.

Eg the current one is SIN-HKG (Roundtrip fares, include taxes, fees or surcharges) for SGD332!

Comment

Although it's UA, I might find that very useful someday, thanks khellek!

Comment

I have a chance to do a mileage run to preserve my gold status too, but as I will likely be flying only once in August (from HKG), and maybe once more next April (and most likely on a OW airline cos of routing), I don't know if it's worth spending a few hundred dollars of my own money in this environment just to be able to access a lounge in HKG. I don't usually have excess baggage, and don't care for priority boarding (but do care for priority de-boarding - unfortunately, not a privilege)... so I'm thinking I should save the moola... What do you think of my assessment? Any benefits I missed out?

Comment

*G benefits are only benefits if you fly regularly. Spending money to buy benefits you won't use seems silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                    *G benefits are only benefits if you fly regularly. Spending money to buy benefits you won't use seems silly.
                    post deleted
                    Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:06 AM.

Comment

How about spending 1.100 GPB for a J flight to JFK? Pricing ex Frankfurt is on the lowest level ever... If you have KF miles you can upgrade to F and celebrate your renewal with some Krug ...

I would do the milage run just for the option of getting SEN with LH - status will be valid for two years after conversion.

Ex LHR you might want to check out fares on United.

Comment

I need to do a mileage run to renew EG status... the current ex-SIN UA promo T&C says 'If passenger is a Mileage Plus member, will accrue actual flown miles.' Does this automatically mean that mileage will be credited to other Star Alliance FF programs too?

Comment

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
                          I've got to get another 8k miles in the next few weeks or else I lose BD Gold status.
                          I do enjoy the benefits of Gold *A and would like to renew, but does anyone have any input as to whether it is worth doing? And if so can you recommend a cheap 8k flight (over a weekend preferably) that I can take?
                          Thanks
                          Write to them and see if they are willing to re qualify you as *A with current miles and state that you will perhaps be flying next few months with them. Perhaps they will oblige.

Comment

Working...
                          X