ANA to abolish fuel surcharge completely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANA to abolish fuel surcharge completely

With effect from 1st July, ANA will completely abolish fuel surcharge.

https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/wws/fuel/index_e.html

Great job ANA

Wonder when will SQ follow suit
    They are way long overdue for it.

Great news for the thrifty traveller!

Comment

A step in the right direction surely !

Comment

anyone intersted in the template reply i got from SQ about fuel surcharges?

even though i put in some good arguements, they ignored every point i made and forwarded me a template.

Comment

is the fuel surcharge waiver for flights booked now, departing after july 1, or does the award flight have to be booked after july 1?

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
            is the fuel surcharge waiver for flights booked now, departing after july 1, or does the award flight have to be booked after july 1?
            From what I understand, its flights booked and ticketed after 1st of July

Comment

Very cool. And VERY surprising as NH is famous for their high surcharges.
              HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                SQ has not budged since their last reduction in.. what, February?

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL
                  NH went much higher than the others when the cost of fuel was rocketing up, but I find their approach more honest at least. When the cost of fuel goes up, the fuel surcharge goes up, but when fuel comes down then so does the fuel surcharge. Sounds much more fair.

Originally posted by EWR View Post
                  SQ has not budged since their last reduction in.. what, February?
                  Could you even call the change in February "a reduction" in the first place?

How about an alternative word? "A joke"?

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post

How about an alternative word? "A joke"?
                    That would be funny to see on their press release :

"Further Fuel Surcharge Joke."

"Singapore Airlines will joke about fuel surcharges on short and medium-haul sectors, for tickets issued from tomorrow (Wednesday 20 May 2009). The joke ranges from around 0.1% to 0.2%, with the biggest joke reserved for short-haul sectors in economy class.

The joke is the third time since fuel prices began easing.

Despite the recent easing of jet fuel prices, collections from fuel surcharges still only partially offset the reduction in passenger traffic due to our high jokes and unrelenting prices. Prices remain volatile.

**DISCLAIMER** This is not an actual Singapore Airlines press release. Wording in bold has been modified by me.
                    Last edited by SQDoubter; 19 May 2009, 06:42 PM.

Comment

bec SQ hedged its fuel when it was very high and for a longer period than other airlines and hence its surcharges remains. Other airlines likely have shorter fuel hedges or hedged for longer period when fuel was not at its highs; whilst some airlines have written off their hedges as losses.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                        bec SQ hedged its fuel when it was very high and for a longer period than other airlines and hence its surcharges remains. Other airlines likely have shorter fuel hedges or hedged for longer period when fuel was not at its highs; whilst some airlines have written off their hedges as losses.
                        But that is the airline's problem, not passengers. Airlines were quite to add on hefty surcharges even if they were hedged. Those, like SQ and NZ who are slow to drop them are now suffering as passengers switch to other carriers which have low or no surcharges.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                          But that is the airline's problem, not passengers. Airlines were quite to add on hefty surcharges even if they were hedged. Those, like SQ and NZ who are slow to drop them are now suffering as passengers switch to other carriers which have low or no surcharges.

I consider SQ's service (particularly in Y) and crew to be without match, but I'm galled by the level of SQ's fuel surcharges.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

One thing that really annoys me is airlines trying to have it both ways. Fuel surcharges based on not having hedging on the way up and based on having the hedging on the way down.

Comment

Working...
                            X