Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NH NRT-FRA returned to NRT due to ill passenger - and I'm on the flight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NH NRT-FRA returned to NRT due to ill passenger - and I'm on the flight!

The flight departed as usual and I had just finished the l'Oasis western meal when the flight attendant delivered the bad news with my cup of Blue Mountain.

We were roughly near Khabarovsk before the flight turned back, and the aircraft had to dump more or less all of its tank in order to come back to Narita. What a waste!

The flight attendants could not have been any more apologetic - I don't think I've heard so many apologies with profuse head bowing in such a short space of time. Arrived back in Narita at 5:00pm and flight will now depart at 8pm.

I will also miss my connecting flight FRA-LCY since I suspect I will arrive in Frankfurt at some OMG-o'clock (copyright KeithMEL ) if we depart at 8pm, so I hope they have a decent hotel waiting for me in Frankfurt!

Will include all the details in the trip report but just an interesting experience since it's my first ever diversion/return. The ill passenger seemed okay by the time he got off the aircraft which is good.

PS. How exactly do you eat JPY 5000's worth of food in the airside area in NRT? Bearing in mind I had just eaten the 6-course western meal merely 3 hours before? I ended up ordering an Una-juu and leaving behind most of the rice, as well as four big prawn tempuras. Still only came to JPY3900...

Thanks for the report, stargold!

The only time this has happened to me (TG), they didn't load any new meals on board. I trust NH will be different and you'll take advantage of the opportunity.

Comment

stargold, sorry to hear these events hit you in a bad way (on the other side, I'm happy the ill passenger is okay).

Hope you can get to destination asap and easily.
      There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
      If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Sorry to hear that, I'm sure NH will take care of you til you reach your final destination. At least it wasn't a hole in the hull and everyone's okay...

Comment

The ill pax is okay and assuming stargold isn't in a hurry to get home, another NH F seems a pretty good deal to me!

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
            ...I had just finished the l'Oasis western meal...
            What is this meal? I checked the menu online and didn't see it.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            The ill pax is okay and assuming stargold isn't in a hurry to get home, another NH F seems a pretty good deal to me!
            Agreed. If another opportunity for another Super Cheeseburger plus some pan seared Wagyu it equals a Super Bonus.

PS. How exactly do you eat JPY 5000's worth of food in the airside area in NRT? Bearing in mind I had just eaten the 6-course western meal merely 3 hours before? I ended up ordering an Una-juu and leaving behind most of the rice, as well as four big prawn tempuras. Still only came to JPY3900...
            Any way to spend it on Duty Free?
            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              It's ANA's seasonal restaurant choice (L'Oasis has been doing the food catering since the 1st of March but only for a limited time).

Now it's your turn to put down the beer, ANA fanatic! We know you knew that!

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                It's the (current ?) western meal choice on NH F - created by the 2-Michelin star L'Oasis restaurant in France.

When phaleesy and I flew NRT-LAX recently, they had the L'Oasis menu and also the usual Japanese kaiseki. Foolishly perhaps, we just went for the Japanese kaiseki (although the FA did nevertheless ask whether we wanted the caviar in addition) rather than the western meal (like the Japanese pax seem to be doing) or have elements from both (like I'm sure stargold did ). The kaiseki was OK but not fabulous, e.g. the sashimi was dry and stuck together and the cooked fish course was too dry. The western desserts we had were great though!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  It's ANA's seasonal restaurant choice (L'Oasis has been doing the food catering since the 1st of March but only for a limited time).

Now it's your turn to put down the beer, ANA fanatic! We know you knew that!
                  Ahhh...I did know about the seasonal restaurant choice...just not the specific name.

It's the (current ?) western meal choice on NH F - created by the 2-Michelin star L'Oasis restaurant in France.

When phaleesy and I flew NRT-LAX recently, they had the L'Oasis menu and also the usual Japanese kaiseki. Foolishly perhaps, we just went for the Japanese kaiseki (although the FA did nevertheless ask whether we wanted the caviar in addition) rather than the western meal (like the Japanese pax seem to be doing) or have elements from both (like I'm sure stargold did ). The kaiseki was OK but not fabulous, e.g. the sashimi was dry and stuck together and the cooked fish course was too dry. The western desserts we had were great though!
                  Yeah, after having the kaiseki once, I almost always opt for the Western now as they do a killer job.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

What an adventure! I just arrived back home in London!

Original schedule was as follows:
                    NH209 17APR NRT FRA 1130 1635
                    LH4810 17APR FRA LCY 1810 1840

Actual schedule:

NH209 NRT 1130 NRT 1700, then
                    NH209 NRT 2000 FRA 0005+1
                    Hotel in FRA
                    LH4726 FRA 1005 LHR 1040

It was a very, very strange feeling on the 2nd departure for two reasons: Firstly, talk about a deja vu! The service sequence was exactly the same on the 2nd time (with yet more added apologies) so it really felt like I went back in time. In a good way, obviously - Two NH F flights for the price of one!

Secondly, it was the first time I left NRT bound for Europe when it was dark outside. It was dark for the entire flight, so I couldn't make my beloved takeoff/landing videos on the 2nd time.

jhm: As you suspected, I was not in any hurry to get home at all! I wondered whether the flight will leave again same day or the next day, and I was going to be asked to reroute via CX if the flight was not leaving till next day. However, rather unexpectedly, they decided to leave on the same day.

All new meals onboard (I would have been surprised if they didn't!) But having eaten the una-juu and four big prawn tempura just before boarding, I was not hungry in any way so I asked to have a plate of fruit with some champagne to send me to sleep, and then have the Kaiseki meal before boarding

Kaiseki meal was pretty good overall, but I enjoyed the western meal better. Back in 2001 (!!) the Kaiseki meal was fantastic beyond words but this time, I didn't get the same "wow' feeling. Maybe I'm becoming jaded with F already - time for Suites? (keep dreaming...)

Western meal was stunning, desserts in particular (both of them!)

LukeGT: The passenger seemed noticeably better by the time aircraft arrived and left in a wheelchair (as opposed to a stretcher) - hope he is okay (and I felt so sorry for the wife! How worried must she have been?)

Kyo: You're right - better than a hole in the hull! And I did feel I was taken care of quite decently. Could have been a lot worse - if I was in Y, I would have been pissed!!

HUGE AL: I had the Wagyu steak for the first meal (great), and I also tried the Super Cheeseburger after the Kaiseki meal (the FA must have thought I was a complete pig) but the burger wasn't heated properly so I felt a bit iffy eating it and didn't want to bother the FA to re-heat it either. So I ate 3/4 of it with glasses of Krug It really brought out the flavours in the Krug!!

No other option to spend JPY5000 than eating which was really annoying - and I didn't realise until it was too late that I could have just bought lots of mugs from Starbucks as omiyage instead

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

It was definitely a very interesting experience and first time in my >14yrs of a fair amount of flying! Lucky that I was in F so I just sat back and enjoyed the service though. And a very good flight on LH C back to LHR on their AB6 (with proper J seats) after a good rest at the FRA Steinburger hotel. Overall I enjoyed the extra flight time and hope the ill pax recovers okay.

Comment

Maybe I'm becoming jaded with F already - time for Suites?
                      After NH F ? IMVHO, only if you want to be disappointed.

Comment

After NH F ? IMVHO, only if you want to be disappointed.
                        But how else can I enjoy "a class beyond First" and pay prices that are also "a class beyond First"? Enjoy a lounge so amazing that they don't let award F ticket holders in, and enjoy the exact same meals and drinks as "a class that isn't beyond First"?

I must tell you, there was an SQ A380 waiting near the NH F lounge at NRT when I was there, and I was thinking with great amusement that I'd much rather be flying my flight than SQ R

Comment

HUGE AL: I had the Wagyu steak for the first meal (great), and I also tried the Super Cheeseburger after the Kaiseki meal (the FA must have thought I was a complete pig) but the burger wasn't heated properly so I felt a bit iffy eating it and didn't want to bother the FA to re-heat it either. So I ate 3/4 of it with glasses of Krug It really brought out the flavours in the Krug!!
                          Hmmm...interesting to hear about the burger. You should have sent it back. They would have made you a new one and apologized further. That's what NH F is all about!

Glad everything worked out in the end.
                          HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                          X