End of Passenger 747????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of Passenger 747????

We all know that Lufthansa is the only confirmed airline to order the new 747-8 I (Passenger version). They also ordered the A380s, and both are supposed to phase out the numerous 747-400s they have now. But I heard in the last couple days that Lufthansa may change that order and not get the 747-8Is because no other airlines are getting them yet (officially), and also that they may replace them with additional A380s instead. Wow, if that takes place, the 747-8I may never enter service with any airline, and the 747 leagacy will die out once all the current ones are phased out. Did anyone else hear about this?

Also, do the 747-400s in Lufthansa have individual screens on the back of each seat for Economy class as well?

No,no screens in Y on LH's 747.

Comment

Lufthansa 747 Y cabin is horrible. no personal tv, very squeeezy legroom ! Go for their A346 if got choice..

Comment

I don't think LH will cancel their order. This would mean they'd only have Airbus planes in their pax fleet after the 744s and the last 737s leave.

I hope that sooner or later other airlines will purchase the 748i as well instead of just buying boring two-holers and not-very-beautiful A380s
        Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

AFAIK, most launch contracts include the right to cancel if no second airline orders the plane. I would be very surprised if LH were to take the 748 in the absence of at least one other customer. But since the 748 is now also significantly delayed, there's no urgency to act.
          /Desert Traveller

Comment

AFAIK, most launch contracts include the right to cancel if no second airline orders the plane.
            Yes, but why should they cancel it? For Lufthansa the 748i fits right between the A 330/340 and the A380. Since they already operate the 744 they don't have to invest too much money in recertifiing their engineers for this plane.

For Boeing it isn't very difficult (i.e. costly) to build the 748i on the basis of the 748F. So why should they annoy LH by cancelling this plane?
            Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Originally posted by up and away View Post
              Yes, but why should they cancel it? For Lufthansa the 748i fits right between the A 330/340 and the A380. Since they already operate the 744 they don't have to invest too much money in recertifiing their engineers for this plane.
              Actually, SQ also operates A380s, A340s, 744s, and will be receiving A330s under the new lease, so 748 will be a good fit as well. But as of now, they dont have an order and the only 748 they may get in the near future (altho noT confirmed) is the freighter version when they choose to replace the Mega Arks. Even Qantas, which has A330s, one or two A380s, and the 744s in high numbers, will be a good fit for the 748s but already ruled out the 748s. So Lufthansa ruling them out is a slight possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by up and away View Post

For Boeing it isn't very difficult (i.e. costly) to build the 748i on the basis of the 748F. So why should they annoy LH by cancelling this plane?
                They run the risk of being the only operator of the type with a fleet of around 20. And eventhough the 748 is based on the 744, it's a complete new configuration.
                Re-certifying the engineers is probably not an issue, but keeping the birds running could be with regards to cost. I guess it will come down to how much of a discount they get as the launch and one-and-only customer. If that offsets the higher costs of running and maintaining a fleet of prototypes, then LH will surely stick with their order.
                But the plane is already late and currently nowhere near its performance targets. It'll certainly be interesting to see how this story develops.
                /Desert Traveller

Comment

the 744s will still be flying for a long time witg other airlines.

Comment

Working...
                  X