Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air NZ makes money from empty seats

Deleted
    Last edited by Megatop; 17 November 2011, 09:30 AM.

Air NZ makes money from empty seats

Air NZ makes money from empty seats

Passengers on partly full Air New Zealand flights to the United States can guarantee an empty seat next to them - if they're prepared to pay $75.

The airline's novel way of making money out of empty seats during the long-haul travel slump has proved popular during a month-long trial.

Air New Zealand group general manager international airlines Ed Sims said it took the lottery out of whether or not passengers get an empty seat next to them.

Like other carriers, Air New Zealand has been hit with a steep fall in passenger numbers as a result of the financial crisis. The airline has been forced to lay off up to 200 staff.

"Necessity is the mother of invention. While we've got some empty seats we'd rather be making something out of that seat than nothing at all," said Mr Sims.

The airline started the scheme just over a month ago on flights to San Francisco and Los Angeles. Up to 10 passengers a flight had opted for the extra seat which could be offered on more international routes, he said.

Passengers were offered the extra seat at check-in when flight numbers were finalised.

http://travelworld101.com/board

Comment

If it was SQ who implemented, she would get bashed to death.
      But, alas, it's NZ.

Comment

Dear Moderators,

I know you all are very busy business people and are having family obligations.
        But, would you please combining this two same news as here.

Comment

Indeed, I thought I have seen this news before when I read the post made by niceguy69.
          Thanks again for pointing that out, SQ LPP.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
            But, alas, it's NZ.
            Just to be fair, I would bash this policy as well from NZ.

So when all doors closed and there are a lot of empty seats still around, can a passenger who does not pay the $75 still move himself or herself to the seats next to the empty seats?

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
              Just to be fair, I would bash this policy as well from NZ.

So when all doors closed and there are a lot of empty seats still around, can a passenger who does not pay the $75 still move himself or herself to the seats next to the empty seats?
              along the same line, plane with many empty seats, another passenger moved to a seat next to you, do you tell thebugger off...."hey!!, I paid for the empty seat, now get off..."???
              This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

but hold n behold - it wont be a surprise if SQ does follow Air NZ - as SQ even have gone ahead to charge extra for its choice EY legroom. In any case, if one does pay extra for the next empty seat - the airline can just easily put a "occupied" sticker onto the empty seat that is paid for.

Comment

But, alas, it's NZ.
                  Sorry I've been travelling and unable to post for a while. Yeah it is a sucky policy especially if it starts impacting on the preferred seats (ie the zone which status pax can pre-book).

Comment

But, alas, it's NZ.
                    Well, I think there would be lots of bashing too if this is NZTalk!

Anyway, I too am curious about what will happen if someone tries to use the extra seat that we have paid for. Do we get get an 'extra space' boarding pass for the said seat? I think that would solve the problem.

Comment

I had the worst experience in purchasing preferred emex window seat with Virgin Blue from Perth to Sydney 3 years ago. Upon boarding, I realized that I had the entire row for myself and was very happy about it. However, after take off, the couple who sat behind me decided to move from their seats to occupy the 2 seats (aisle and middle) next to me. I ended up stuck inside the window seat for the entire 4 hour while the other passenger left by the couple in the row behind me had the entire row for himself. Now, this made me mad because I ended up paying more for less comfort while the original intention for me when paying the extra A$ 15 upon check-in was to buy the extra comfort on that 4 hour flight.

So, I always believe that if airlines want to charge extra for empty seats and or preferred seats, then they need to be consistent in implementing it in the air and make sure that the passenger who pays extra for the comfort really will get the extra comfort. Otherwise, I will call that a fail delivery in service.

BTW, shouldn't this be moved to the Star Alliance Partner Sub-Forum?
                      Last edited by UMD; 25 November 2008, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Thread moved. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X