Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redeeming diamond club miles for others: Q about CC verification

This thread on TOF got me thinking.

I have redeemed some BD awards for friends and some of them will be flying without me. On some of the awards my credit card was used to pay for the cash and tax components. I was wondering whether, prior to travel, I'd have to verify my CC details with either BD (though I'd have no clue how to in MEL, perhaps a fax to Donnington ) or the operating carriers (SQ, TG, NZ)?

I've never experienced problems similar to the OP of that particular thread using other FFPs. But as I have never redeemed BD miles for others prior to this, I thought I'd better check as the last thing I want is for any of them to be denied boarding. I hope someone can shed light on this.

TIA.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 November 2008, 05:12 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

I have no experience of this but given that I've never had to show a credit card for check-in for any SQ/LH flights booked with BD C+M, I'd be surprised if a third party has to show my credit card.

Comment

Have never been asked to show my cc for BD redemptions. Do you think it might be a problem now? Or is it specific to AC, UA and Delta as discussed in the thread? I don't remember BA asking us to show our cc either.

If it's necc to show a cc, jhm might have a problem for one of his segments in Dec, booked using my miles and cc. What would I need to do first to prevent any potential hassle?

Comment

No I was not anticipating such hassles with dc awards, but because I have had zero past experience to draw on with the program in such a situation I just thought it'd be wise to check given different FFPs have different policies. Much better than letting them find out at the check in counter on the day of departure!!

Anyway I've just been advised over chat by someone with the relevant experience that I don't have to do anything and that it'd all be kosher for my friends, so all good.

Sorry if I'd unintentionally caused any alarm.
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 19 November 2008, 04:30 AM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
          I don't remember BA asking us to show our cc either.
          Not for an award booking but for paid bookings through ba.com, BA will ask to see your credit card. If you check-in using a machine at the airport, you'll need to insert your credit card but this requirement doesn't apply if you check-in online.

Comment

I've used both AC miles and BD miles for flights on OZ, SQ and NH, and none of them have ever asked for my credit card.

Could it be the case that certain agents mistakenly listed the CC as the "ID document" for the e-ticket?

Comment

I just redeem my Mileage Plus on a SQ award flight & the UA reservation asked me to show the credit card at check-in counter, which I paid for the airport security & taxes over the phone, & they said SQ check-in agent will collect the fuel surcharge at the counter as well...but after I completed the journey, nobody was asking me to show my credit card plus collect the fuel surcharge for me...?

Is this normal or I'm just being lucky without paying the fuel surcharge...?

Comment

Originally posted by SQTalker View Post
                I just redeem my Mileage Plus on a SQ award flight & the UA reservation asked me to show the credit card at check-in counter, which I paid for the airport security & taxes over the phone, & they said SQ check-in agent will collect the fuel surcharge at the counter as well...but after I completed the journey, nobody was asking me to show my credit card plus collect the fuel surcharge for me...?

Is this normal or I'm just being lucky without paying the fuel surcharge...?
                Whilst there are airlines that do go through your fare calculation with a fine comb and hit you up for fuel surcharges if the ticketing carrier has not collected them, this is an extremely rare occurrence.

UA and AA, for instance, do not pick up fuel surcharges for their respective partner carriers which makes them popular carriers to book RTW tickets through as the savings can be rather significant. So far neither I nor anyone I know of have been dinged for fuel surcharges at check in, and certainly not with SQ.

They'd be more anal about airport taxes if any of these have been inadvertently left out, or they suspect it's been left out.

Comment

Just to conclude this thread - the beforementioned friends of mine have checked in and traveled ok on their flights. All good.

Comment

Working...
                  X