Air NZ in Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air NZ in Singapore

I learnt that Air NZ ceased offering services to Singapore since 2006. However, here I am in T2 and staring at an Air NZ 747 at gate E3. Has Air NZ resumed services to Singapore?

It's been going on for a few days, at the very least. Saw one (don't know if it was the same one you saw) last saturday parked at a remote stand. Military charter perhaps?

Comment

Usually charters taking SAF personnel to Rockhampton aren't they ?.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        Usually charters taking SAF personnel to Rockhampton aren't they ?.
        Why would they hire Air New Zealand to send SAF personnel to Rockhampton? I thought a private jet, SIA, Qantas, or Jetstar would be more sensible. Is it because of security that they have to hire an exception? Anyway I still wish Air New Zealand is still flying to London Heathrow via Singapore instead of Hong Kong...it's also a shorter route.

Comment

Originally posted by SQalMundo View Post
          Anyway I still wish Air New Zealand is still flying to London Heathrow via Singapore instead of Hong Kong...it's also a shorter route.
          No. AKL-LHR via HKG at 11,683 miles is shorter than AKL-LHR via SIN at 11,990.
          My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

Singapore Artillery units conduct exercises in NZ. Friend was complaining about it because he had to clean all his stuff thoroughly (they're anal about possible contamination and harm to their agricultural crops). Maybe it was used to ferry the army personnel to NZ?

Comment

SAF used a host of airlines to ferry their troops overseas. To Rockhampton, they have used SQ, NZ, Qantas and Royal Brunei.

They also chartered Eva Air and SQ on flights to Kaohsiung and SQ/BI to Brunei.

Recently apart from TG, they have also chartered Silkair to ferry their troops to Thailand.
              My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Air NZ has frequent charters utilising its spare capacity in the current downturn.

Comment

Originally posted by SQalMundo View Post
                  Why would they hire Air New Zealand to send SAF personnel to Rockhampton? I thought a private jet, SIA, Qantas, or Jetstar would be more sensible.
                  I fail to see why you think QF, SQ or Jetstar would be 'more sensible'. What difference does it make ?. They need an aircraft to move personnel to do military training, so if NZ meet the criteria (and they obviously do, as that's who they use) then so be it.

As for using a private jet....

Comment

I read in the news that the government won't even fly civil servants on SQ if it's more expensive than another foreign airline...they certainly won't use a private jet for soldiers.

Comment

Working...
                    X