London - Zurich options: LCY vs LHR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
    I walk from Russell Sq to Holborn. Central line to Bank. DLR from there. Total journey is less than 45 mins. Airport is next to the station. Convenient!
    Now I just have to rant - please please install some lifts or escalators at some of the tube stops! Twice I've almost fallen off the stairs at Paddington with my heavy suitcase....
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 27 January 2008, 07:57 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
      Twice I've almost fallen off the stairs at Paddington with my heavy suitcase....
      It helps if you're sober...

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        And maybe I need to pile those muscles on...
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Yes, agreed! Some people are stylish and suave no matter what they wear and jjpb3 is definitely one of them. Perhaps he could start a trend amongst the men here?
          I think he does. He has that followers in the man bag's thread.

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          Now I just have to rant - please please install some lifts or escalators at some of the tube stops! Twice I've almost fallen off the stairs at Paddington with my heavy suitcase....
          You are visitor arriving at LHR and departing from LHR right? Store your heavy suicase in the left luggage service. Just travel lite to the city.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
            You are visitor arriving at LHR and departing from LHR right? Store your heavy suicase in the left luggage service. Just travel lite to the city.
            Humph... good point. But it'd take me a long while to decide what to retrieve from my suitcase to wear for the stay in London. I did use left luggage when I went up to Nottingham earlier this month though - was quite good value.

Comment

Damn, thank goodness my keyboard is spillproof. The wine would have ... oops ... never mind.
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                I think he does. He has that followers in the man bag's thread.
                You are right. I have been telling jhm about the man-bag since Jan 2007. The interest only registered after I pointed out jjpb3's bag when we met him in ZRH.

Comment

You are right. I have been telling jhm about the man-bag since Jan 2007. The interest only registered after I pointed out jjpb3's bag when we met him in ZRH.
                  Ah... now I get it.. or again your post confirming that jjpb3 is indeed a trend setter! (Except don't follow him flying around on Traitor Air! )

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                    The DLR isn't convenient for me, coming from South Kensington if I come from the office or Russell Square if I travel from home. Particularly when cab costs are expensable.
                    Good! I was asked by someone the other day how to get from Wimbledon (or thereabouts) to LCY with lots of post-X'mas shopping.

I suggested the easiest way would be a minicab but failing that, the only public transport alternative would be the District (green) line to Tower Hill tube station, a walk to Tower Gateway DLR station (I don't know how far this is) and then the DLR to LCY - a long and tedious journey (probably around 1.5 to 2 hours ?) and possibly difficult with lots of luggage.

Comment

duty free single malt...

No dutyfree service, too, because of less storage space onboard.
                      I'm now confirmed on LX from LCY-ZRH.

Is there no duty free whatsoever?? I always pick up a bottle of single malt from the fantastic selection at LHR... If that option is out, will the prices in town be significantly higher??

Or can anyone advise if there is an acceptable selection of whiskeys at ZRH (departure) duty free?

Thanks!

Comment

Good! I was asked by someone the other day how to get from Wimbledon (or thereabouts) to LCY with lots of post-X'mas shopping.
                        From all the way o'er there (or thereabouts... I heard it was actually Roehampton) to LCY with lots of post x-mas shopping in tow? Madness! Whoever he or she is has got far too little sense....

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                          Is there no duty free whatsoever?? I always pick up a bottle of single malt from the fantastic selection at LHR... If that option is out, will the prices in town be significantly higher??
                          No dutyfree onboard. There are some stores in the departure area (I recall Bally), but I haven't checked out whether liquor was on sale.

Comment

No dutyfree onboard. There are some stores in the departure area (I recall Bally), but I haven't checked out whether liquor was on sale.
                            My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                              My bad.
                              Actually there WAS dutyfree onboard...

Comment

I've been very un-mindful then.

Comment

Working...
                                X