need advice and help on upgrade using KF miles on TG flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice and help on upgrade using KF miles on TG flight

I need help from expert Star Alliance flyers here...

Currently, i am looking into booking a return trip from SIN to Oslo and back on TG, my routing will be SIN - BKK - OSL

THAI webby is showing me prices as follow :

Economy Restricted (W) : SGD $1836.10
    Economy Unrestricted (Y) : SGD $2950.60

I have around 200K worth of miles inside my KrisFlyer and so my questions are

1) should I pay the additional $1K and upgrade myself to Business class using my KF miles ? But I don't get the idea of why we have to pay extra for an "upgradeable" economy class and then still need to use our hard earned KF miles to upgrade ?

2) Can I buy the cheaper W class ticket and upgrade myself to Business class using my KF miles ? If yes, how much miles will I be looking at ?

Sorry for my noobness, this is my 1st time trying to upgrade as it will be a long-hual flight for and normally i will redeem award flights on SQ or MI using my KF miles.

Hello, welcome here.

SGD 3,000 + 140,000 miles on TG to Europe is exorbitant.
    And no, you cannot use TG's W class to upgrade.
    And btw, do you realise that TG's W class will not give you SQ miles? It has to be Q class and above.

You have 200,000 miles. that will be good for an SQ redemption to AMS/CPH in business class = 102,000 miles and will still leave you plenty of funds left for an intra-european flight.

Of course, SQ redemption needs to be waitlisted generally. But I never fail to get seats secured at the end.

It is also not much more expensive if you redeem Star Alliance partners all the way there. Just 165,000 miles compared to 140,000 miles for upgrading. Of course you will earn miles back if you upgrade (about 10,000 miles). but that's not a lot.

If I were you:

1. First choice is to waitlist on SQ to Amsterdam / Copenhagen
    2. As a backup, redeeem with partner to OSL. but give it up with a USD20 service fee once SQ seats come through
    3. Forget about Thai's W class or Y class and the upgrade on partner.

Hope my advice helps.

Cheers
    Last edited by SQueeze; 19 March 2014, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X