Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finger pointing at *A

Originally posted by AusBT
    Singapore Airlines insists that it's not removing award seats from the websites of Star Alliance partners, and suggests that United Airlines is solely responsible for last week's removal of SQ award inventory – seats available in exchange for frequent flyer points – from United's website and mobile apps.

"There is no change in inventory access for Star Alliance partners or in Singapore Airlines' redemption policies" a Singapore Airlines spokesperson told Australian Business Traveller.

"However, each Star Alliance member carrier may choose how to fulfill such redemptions differently, which we have no influence over."
    "For example, some Star carriers may choose to allow their respective frequent flier programme members access to redemption online or offline, depending on their respective platforms."
    http://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-ai...iance-partners

Was it previously possible to redeem Krisflyer miles online for a United Airlines flight? I'm actually thinking of redeeming some Krisflyer miles for a UA flight and I called Krisflyer member services to enquire about availability.

Comment

That would be a yes

Comment

Of all the airlines in the world, why would you spend your miles on UA?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
          The thing about the US is that certain airlines hold almost monopolistic routes between certain points and if one wants to have the efficiency of a direct flight, and perhaps suitable timings, there's very little or no choice. If that happens on one of the legs of my itinerary, I would upgrade using miles. These days I tend to park some miles directly under my UA FF as redemption of UA seats cost much less than using KF miles.

Indeed I agree that UA is quite hopeless; I hate their Y product especially when the plane is full which is usually the case on very hot routes. The food is crappy and only passable in their F/J. Service is functional though a little more polite in F/J, though even that it depends. Once I witnessed, while flying between EWR-SEA, the FA shouting at a lady who brought some food from F/J to her kids in Y. If only I could put up a pic of this dragon FA's eyes. Quite embarrassing and totally unnecessary, even though it may not be company policy to allow it.

Would love to hear alternative solutions to UA!

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
            UA allows you to buy miles - up to 100,000 a year - and when they have specials it's quite possible to get good redemption deals ex SIN.

Before the recent devaluation, SIN-ICN was 45,000 return in J while SIN-HNL in J was 75,000 return via NRT.

Post devaluation you can still find deals such as SIN-AKL in J for 60,000, assuming UA still has access to SQ redemption

Comment

Originally posted by mingster View Post
              UA allows you to buy miles - up to 100,000 a year - and when they have specials it's quite possible to get good redemption deals ex SIN.

Before the recent devaluation, SIN-ICN was 45,000 return in J while SIN-HNL in J was 75,000 return via NRT.

Post devaluation you can still find deals such as SIN-AKL in J for 60,000, assuming UA still has access to SQ redemption
              If you stop over in southeast Asia, you can also fly to north Asia for the price of a southeast Asia award booked on united.bomb. I booked a colleage on SIN-xBKK-VTE-xBKK-xPEK-ULN-xPEK-SIN in J earlier this year for 35K with almost-a-day transits in BKK and PEK. The ULN flights only had economy unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                The thing about the US is that certain airlines hold almost monopolistic routes between certain points and if one wants to have the efficiency of a direct flight, and perhaps suitable timings, there's very little or no choice. If that happens on one of the legs of my itinerary, I would upgrade using miles. These days I tend to park some miles directly under my UA FF as redemption of UA seats cost much less than using KF miles.

Indeed I agree that UA is quite hopeless; I hate their Y product especially when the plane is full which is usually the case on very hot routes. The food is crappy and only passable in their F/J. Service is functional though a little more polite in F/J, though even that it depends. Once I witnessed, while flying between EWR-SEA, the FA shouting at a lady who brought some food from F/J to her kids in Y. If only I could put up a pic of this dragon FA's eyes. Quite embarrassing and totally unnecessary, even though it may not be company policy to allow it.

Would love to hear alternative solutions to UA!

You are right for the FF portion. Actually, their Y product is not so bad on those new 787.
                Connection is a big plus if you travel to USA.

Comment

Alas, I made the redemption on UA using Krisflyer miles. I would not be back in Asia till after some miles expire, and even then I don't expect that I would be travelling. Also, United is the only airline flying the route that I wanted, with exorbitant fares, so I didn't mind spending some miles for that instead of giving UA my money.

Comment

Working...
                  X