United Screws Over Star Alliance Gold Members with New Baggage Policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Screws Over Star Alliance Gold Members with New Baggage Policy

As of today, UA changed the free bag allowance for Star Alliance Gold Members traveling in whY from three down to ONE. They even reduced the weight from 70 pounds down to 50.

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...edBaggage.aspx

Way to piss on your partners, United!
    HUGE AL

This is for domestic only right? International still offers one free and one additional for gold?
    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
      As of today, UA changed the free bag allowance for Star Alliance Gold Members traveling in whY from three down to ONE. They even reduced the weight from 70 pounds down to 50.

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...edBaggage.aspx

Way to piss on your partners, United!
      HUGE AL, I'm not seeing any note on Star Alliance Gold limitations on the link you provided. Perhaps I need to key in a name and confirmation# for a UA flight. Could we trouble you to copy paste the bad news here directly. Thanks.

Comment

Ah, I found it - didn't click enough buttons.

Check one bag at no charge

Baggage check-in must occur with United or United Express, and Star AllianceTM Gold membership must be valid at time of check-in to qualify for any applicable waiver of service charges for checked bags (within specified size and weight limits). Baggage acceptance policies and service charges may vary for flights operated by other Star Alliance member airlines. Changes to the fare type purchased could result in increased baggage service charges. Based on your itinerary and selected cabin, service charges may be waived for one or more checked bags. See below for the charges for your 1st and 2nd checked bags. For additional baggage service charge information, select the “additional and other bag fees” box below.

Up to 62.0 linear inches (157cm) L + W + H and 70.0 lbs (32 kg) per bag
        In the example I put in, JFK-IAH, the second bag is charged at US$35. In doing this, UA has placed *A Gold at the same level as their Premier Silver status. Their Premier Gold status still allows for 2 bags free.

This is very, very bad - not that it affects me much since I usually have only one check-in when I travel there - because it will set a precedent for other *A members to follow suit. It also causes much problems when *A Gold members take connecting flights domestically from other *A airlines - though they may overlook it when it is a direct connection if it's tagged to final destination since the dragon ladies aren't usually stationed at the luggage re-check-in after customs.

Comment

These clowns shouldn't get the business that they do. They also cancelled on me two weeks ago for a few drops of rain and left me bouncing around from city to city and arriving 1:45AM at my final destination. Bloody useless, they are.

Comment

Love the "crappy airline" tag.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              These clowns shouldn't get the business that they do. They also cancelled on me two weeks ago for a few drops of rain and left me bouncing around from city to city and arriving 1:45AM at my final destination. Bloody useless, they are.
              Alas, UA is the only viable *A option as they have far more non-stop connections and timing options, especially on the routes I take, than US. The latter hubs out mainly on CLT, PHX and PHL ... none of which SQ flies to, and going through them adds hours to the journey plus uncertainties.

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                This is for domestic only right? International still offers one free and one additional for gold?
                It's two bags (down from three) and both must now be 20.0 lbs lighter (50.0 lbs).

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                In the example I put in, JFK-IAH, the second bag is charged at US$35.
                Using THAT example the site should have yielded, "...and 50.0 lbs (23 kg) per bag" NOT 70.0 lbs.

Their Premier Gold status still allows for 2 bags free.
                UA Premier Gold actually maintains the old allotment *G used to get: THREE 70.0 lbs bags.

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                During the last massive typhoon in Seoul, they cancelled my flight 36 hours in advance and failed to call my contact number because they said it was a USA number but yes, it was listed on my PNR. But the icing on the cake was when they REFUSED to endorse the ticket (paid F) to another airline because they said they did not have to protect me whatsoever. NH Ticket Agents marched over to their counter and physically dragged the UA agent back to endorse the ticket.

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                Love the "crappy airline" tag.
                Glad you caught the funny.

Alas, UA is the only viable *A option...
                When you bebop around North America like I do, they unfortunately are unpreventable.
                HUGE AL

Comment

Huge, you need to add the Useless Airline tag too...

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                    Yes for domestic only. As long as you are connecting to/from a international flight. You continue to get free allowance in your domestic sectors.

Comment

Working...
                    X